Scanning stone casts to create printed models & dies

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
Hello Group,
This is my first post to the forum... I hope you all like the question and someone can answer it for me!
I have my first scanner. It's a D800 with 2014 software but have already run up a against a stone wall on one thing. I have Model Builder and Trios Model Builder installed but can only make models in Dental Designer if I am scanning an impression or utilizing a digital impression... as far as I can see. I also have Scan IT that allows me to scan a stone cast in STL. I don't care for Impression Scan and would prefer to scan my solid cast and individual dies to create a printed, or milled model with removable dies. This would hopefully be simpler and a potentially more precise way to create a Geller type models. The problem I see is if I choose MODEL under SCAN when creating a case, the Model icon is grayed out and unavailable.
Has anyone attempted this? Is this possible with 3Shape?
Thanks to all for some help!

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
just convert your default file scan from . DCM to .STL when you open Scan Program. Then everything generated will be STL

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response but remember I am new to this... Can you give me some additional detail and will this make the MODEL icon available in Dental Designer with SCAN selection set to MODEL / Sectioned?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
no model builder is designed to be work with the importation of a digital file a la digital impression or scanning of an impression.

For the model that you are scanning, you will have to go through your order form, and then when the scan program starts, go to the top left corner and other Settings set your output file from .DCM to .STL

Who did you buy your equipment from? They should be able to answer you and provide teamviewer support.

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
Thanks again! The scanner came from 3I. I was speaking to them today on TeamViewer. I was told that the only way to create a model was starting on the order form and choosing an impression scan or digital impression under SCAN settings, regardless of the Model Builder software I have. Model Builder is only available if I scan or use a digital impression. All I want to do is make an alveolar model by scanning a complete stone cast and a set of corresponding full stone dies and bypassing an impression scan. I will look for the settings you mentioned but thought it needed to know what I was planning on the order form to get it into Model Builder?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Why cant you just scan your stone model, save as .stl, create a new case for model builder with digital impression, then import scan using your previous .stl file? not at my work computer, so I dont know if that would work... just right click after creating the case, then import scan

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Thanks again! The scanner came from 3I. I was speaking to them today on TeamViewer. I was told that the only way to create a model was starting on the order form and choosing an impression scan or digital impression under SCAN settings, regardless of the Model Builder software I have. Model Builder is only available if I scan or use a digital impression. All I want to do is make an alveolar model by scanning a complete stone cast and a set of corresponding full stone dies and bypassing an impression scan. I will look for the settings you mentioned but thought it needed to know what I was planning on the order form to get it into Model Builder?

so it needs to know how many "units" - but all you're really looking for is to use your scanner as a scanner.

Make a new order - mark up the number dies you have, and then when you click scan, the next window that opens up, look in the top left :D

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Contact your 3I rep and ask him who in your area has a Trios IOS.

Arrange a meeting with the Dr and ask if he would do the scan for you.
Now you have met a potential client that is able to send you IOS's as well.

Make sure you get set up for Trios Communicate.

If there are no Drs in your area with the trios then you have even more opportunity than you realize.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
in older versions of dental manager, there was the option of Creating Visualization output as well as CAM for every file; the visualization output would generate Models depending on the Model Material material configuration in your control panel. set that to CADOutputRAWSTL.dll and your scans will be in .stl format.

i used to use this trick to generate stl copings and cam files even when my provider had locked me into materials i would never use (like compartis crowns, and a ton of others)

invent dental

invent dental

Reaction score
here is an articulator you can use for your printed models for more questions you call invent dental 305-381-0345 on twister articulator.JPG jdt10.jpg jdt10.jpg

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
Thank you... All of you were great! I will be doing some experimenting this evening and my 3I/3Shape rep will be back from Chicago on Monday so I can go over things with him then. I will report back on the progress and solution that worked best and share with you all. It was fun chatting with everyone and getting so many good replies!
I'll be back!

Top Bottom