Scanning Impressions and Printing Models

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I am researching to see if it is worth it for us to invest in an Asiga MAX printer and upgrade our 3Shape Dongle to the get the full restorative package which would include the Abutment Designer, Model Builder, and Impression Scanning.

We want to get a printer to take some of the pressure off the model room. We don't expect to print all our models. We just want to send some cases to the printer so we don't need to hire an extra person or pay overtime when we get really busy. We have a D800 scanner that we would use to scan the impressions and then print the models.

How is the accuracy of scanning impressions and then printing models vs scanning a stone model poured from an impression? I assume that i wouldn't need to scan the printed model to design a crown. I would be able to design directly on the virtual model resulting from the impression that was scanned...is that correct?

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I talked to one of the larger labs and they do a lot of printing. He told me that they played around with scanning impressions and then printing the models. Then he said that in the end they scanned the impression and then just poured a solid cast the check their contacts with. It was quicker,easier and cost less than printing even just a solid model.

J

jy147147

Reaction score
I am also thinking about print model. I got 3 shape E3 Recently and tried few impression scans. but it is not easy to catch clean margin line. i need training on this.

Also think about bubbles on the impression especially margin area and a lot of impression i am getting is not clean. sometimes when i do margin trim i have to draw

margin line.

why don't you get full restorative package and try impression scan and outsource models first. then purchase printer. try other printers as well.

I heard Asiga Max is excellent printer but wait for other company's printer for next few months. new printers will release pretty soon and will be little cheaper and faster.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
I am researching to see if it is worth it for us to invest in an Asiga MAX printer and upgrade our 3Shape Dongle to the get the full restorative package which would include the Abutment Designer, Model Builder, and Impression Scanning.

We want to get a printer to take some of the pressure off the model room. We don't expect to print all our models. We just want to send some cases to the printer so we don't need to hire an extra person or pay overtime when we get really busy. We have a D800 scanner that we would use to scan the impressions and then print the models.

How is the accuracy of scanning impressions and then printing models vs scanning a stone model poured from an impression? I assume that i wouldn't need to scan the printed model to design a crown. I would be able to design directly on the virtual model resulting from the impression that was scanned...is that correct?

That's correct, you can design everything digital off the impression scan. We too will be playing with this workflow. Our Asiga Max arrived on Thursday, a local denture clinic bought a E3, which I hope to sample once they have it up an running. The E-series and D-series has better tech for impression scanning vs our D700, which might be same tech as your D800 (aka...not as ideal)

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
I talked to one of the larger labs and they do a lot of printing. He told me that they played around with scanning impressions and then printing the models. Then he said that in the end they scanned the impression and then just poured a solid cast the check their contacts with. It was quicker,easier and cost less than printing even just a solid model.
Do they print any working models?

N

Noob.Scared.Confused

Reaction score

Hello, you can contact your reseller and ask them to give you a 2 week trial of the impression scanning module before upgrading your dongle. We are still on trial period with that particular module. We haven't printed any models yet cause we are just testing it and I hate it so far :(

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello, you can contact your reseller and ask them to give you a 2 week trial of the impression scanning module before upgrading your dongle. We are still on trial period with that particular module. We haven't printed any models yet cause we are just testing it and I hate it so far :(
all feedback is welcome here, speak your mind - some of us might be able to help, and theres probably at least one other person with an Asiga who can give you tips.

Kobra Kai

Kobra Kai

Reaction score
We have been scanning impression for a couple of months now. The work flow is a lot quicker and the printed models are pretty accurate in my opinion.

Kobra Kai

Kobra Kai

Reaction score
We use the 3shape D2000 scanner for impressions. As for our model printers, all I know is that they are carbon 3d printers. Not too familiar with the machine since I rarely leave my corner lol
It's a lot easier building models from impression scans than building models from digital scans doctors send in (too many spline errors). If there is anything you wanna know about workflow specifically just let me know and I'll try to help the best I can.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
We use the 3shape D2000 scanner for impressions. As for our model printers, all I know is that they are carbon 3d printers. Not too familiar with the machine since I rarely leave my corner lol
It's a lot easier building models from impression scans than building models from digital scans doctors send in (too many spline errors). If there is anything you wanna know about workflow specifically just let me know and I'll try to help the best I can.
That's a helluva investment re: D2000 w/ Carbon printers. Nice

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Absolutely, but until then!
Until now you mean.

There's no logical reason for a dentist not to purchase an IOS anymore.
They would spend more on pvs material in 2 years than they would on an affordable scanner these days.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Until now you mean.

There's no logical reason for a dentist not to purchase an IOS anymore.
They would spend more on pvs material in 2 years than they would on an affordable scanner these days.
I wish I could spend their money for them, do you have a comparative analysis I could present to the Doc's?

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Well worth it though. To me the details are a lot more clear than if you made a stone model out the impression
I'll be sampling a E3 soon which has the same impression scanning tech as the D2000. You guys are happy (from ceramist to Dr) I'm assuming with how everything is working? Any troubleshooting learning curves you guys had to solve?

Kobra Kai

Kobra Kai

Reaction score
Right on! We are indeed. There were some learning curves, but nothing too crazy. I know they had trouble learning how to align the bite registration to the impression scans but it didn't take long to figure it out. I know I've been happy with it and I'm pretty positive I can vouch for the lab and our doctors too. It's a game changer, but a good one

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I wish I could spend their money for them, do you have a comparative analysis I could present to the Doc's?
Carestream b&w 18K
Medit 19K ?
Planmeca 2th?

There is also quite a few orthodontists who want to sell their Trios 3colour at 18K

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Right on! We are indeed. There were some learning curves, but nothing too crazy. I know they had trouble learning how to align the bite registration to the impression scans but it didn't take long to figure it out. I know I've been happy with it and I'm pretty positive I can vouch for the lab and our doctors too. It's a game changer, but a good one
Exciting! Yeah my D700 Ive had since 2011, unbelievably reliable, incredible really