Scanners

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
We are looking for regular Joe technicians to participate in a head to head scanner comparison.

So far we have:

OPT Deluxe model
Steinbichler STII
DOF HD
Medit Hybrid
Identica Light

Would like to get iMetric, Shining 3d, Maestro, 3Shape, etc. If you are using Renishaw tactile in conjunction with optical scanner we may be interested too. Participants should be in N. America to keep shipping cost and times reasonable.

Send me a pm or if you don't have enough posts then post here and Zero or myself will contact you.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Wanted to add that other lesser known scanners are welcome to participate too, it has to be able to output standard STL files or something which can be easily converted into STL tho...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
curious if y'all are going to try to get more than one of each to account for variables of machine wear and tolerances.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
curious if y'all are going to try to get more than one of each to account for variables of machine wear and tolerances.
The more the better, we could even compare scans across the same brands/models...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Do you want a Trios scan/stl?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Do you want a Trios scan/stl?
I am not against it, but I think we're going to stick with desk top models for now.
I don't really want to make a career out of this. :)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I am not against it, but I think we're going to stick with desk top models for now.
I don't really want to make a career out of this. :)
Good because I wasn't going to give you one anyway.Eviltongue

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Being the proud owner of a CS2, I have to say this sounds like "scanner discrimination". Hmmmm2
Maybe so, but it would be like comparing the performance of a brick cell phone to new production phones.
If you insist, we may be able to make arraignments, but if the results are really subpar we may shame you into joining the 21st century. :D

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
PDC, is that really your only scanner? I've been trying to figure what to do with mine for a year and a half!

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i can use our ZZ, D2000, Trios3, D900, D815, D700 and DoF scanners if you want. Always happy to work together on DLN

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
PDC, is that really your only scanner? I've been trying to figure what to do with mine for a year and a half!

That's it.
Most of the cases I get are digital so I don't really scan much. I know there are faster and better out there, but with technology, time is on our side. I think scanners will actually get cheaper as more doctors go digital and the lab scanners are used less. Eventually we will only need the CAD software. I have another tech who deals with the CS2 and all of its positioning issues. I just step in when case is in CAD.

The scanner is pretty accurate though. I get good fits. Supposed to have a 10 micron accuracy...at least that's what the brochures state.

The nice thing about this test with scanners is we get to see the results in the real world rather than relying on the claims of the manufacturers.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm using my desktop less and less as well.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I'm using my desktop less and less as well.
I started without a desktop scanner and only received IO scans. Now I use the desk top scanner more on all of these big cases. Not what I had planned.Hmmmm2

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
That's it.
Most of the cases I get are digital so I don't really scan much. I know there are faster and better out there, but with technology, time is on our side. I think scanners will actually get cheaper as more doctors go digital and the lab scanners are used less. Eventually we will only need the CAD software. I have another tech who deals with the CS2 and all of its positioning issues. I just step in when case is in CAD.

The scanner is pretty accurate though. I get good fits. Supposed to have a 10 micron accuracy...at least that's what the brochures state.

The nice thing about this test with scanners is we get to see the results in the real world rather than relying on the claims of the manufacturers.

No insult intended. The CS2 seems accurate enough in my experience, I just hated dealing with the DW software so I quit it. Don't really know what to do with it collecting dust though.