Root Analog Implants (RAI) - Anybody ever encounter one of these?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
I recently learned about root analog implants ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_analogue_dental_implant ) and I'm intrigued- it seems like a much more elegant and low-impact way to do implants vs. industry standard techniques. It also seems like a very good fit for modern digital workflows that can actually produce a fully-anatomic design within a few hours or days of a tooth being pulled. It doesn't seem to have been commercially adopted in any capacity, and some of the old hats I asked about this had never even heard of the technique.
So, has anybody encountered any of these cases in the wild? Are they limited to a handful of experimental/trial cases? Does anybody have any resources on this technique where I can learn more? Full disclosure that I'm relatively new to this industry so it's possible I've overlooked something obvious and/or embarrassing.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
There's no software support form the major players yet AFAIK, unless you are real good with digital process and manufacture... not sure about the legality making these on the lab side either.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Do they make a ti base for these?
Asking for a friend’s 3rd cousin.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Do they make a ti base for these?
Asking for a friend’s 3rd cousin.
no, the whole point is to be zirconia or ceramic. we went over this in some detail a while ago, just a new name.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
no, the whole point is to be zirconia or ceramic. we went over this in some detail a while ago, just a new name.

I don't think they're the same thing, unless I'm missing something- that's still a fundamentally screw-retained design; these have nearly the same geometry as the original root, and osseointegrate without any mechanical aid beyond an interference/friction fit between bone and studs formed into the implant. The guy on the left, the titanium implant is just for comparison:
Root_analogue_ceramic_dental_implant_vs_titanium_screw_type_implant.jpg

It's a *non-surgical* implant technique, which seems to set it apart from anything else commercially-available I've run into.

Last edited:
S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this. Looks like it has been around for a long time. With not much success just by reading the wikipedia link.

I'm sure the implant companies are keeping this from ever getting going.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

I skipped class that day and hung out in by the portables.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I don't think they're the same thing, unless I'm missing something- that's still a fundamentally screw-retained design; these have nearly the same geometry as the original root, and osseointegrate without any mechanical aid beyond an interference/friction fit between bone and studs formed into the implant. The guy on the left, the titanium implant is just for comparison:
View attachment 42023

It's a *non-surgical* implant technique, which seems to set it apart from anything else commercially-available I've run into.
they may classify it as 'non' surgical, but there are a good portion of extractions that are surgical in nature. i think its a cool concept, but as others have noted, it cuts out profit for the implant giants (aka giant international medical corporations) and they wont be too keen to permit that

Top Bottom