Roland Botching Mill jobs

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Two people from the same company are posting so this thread and the one originally started by "coolhandluke" are the same company and the same issue.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Just nested 10 crowns, and it turns out that toolpath calculations are not that resource hungry at all. I'd say CPU is at 40% average with occasional spikes. Memory allocation is pretty much constant...

ai43.tinypic.com_dlqerp.png

<EDIT> V-panel is hardly using any resources at all...

ai40.tinypic.com_30b1h10.png
ai43.tinypic.com_dlqerp.png ai40.tinypic.com_30b1h10.png

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Just nested 10 crowns, and it turns out that toolpath calculations are not that resource hungry at all. I'd say CPU is at 40% average with occasional spikes. Memory allocation is pretty much constant...

ai43.tinypic.com_dlqerp.png

<EDIT> V-panel is hardly using any resources at all...

ai40.tinypic.com_30b1h10.png

My thoughts exactly.
ai43.tinypic.com_dlqerp.png ai40.tinypic.com_30b1h10.png

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
That is during nesting but how do memory and processor look while generating the tool paths? On my computer the processor spiked as soon as I started to generate tool paths, memory stayed at about 48%.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Glen, he is calculating the tool-path. What'chu looking at meng?

I see the progress of it in upper right of the screen-shot.

I believe that CAM calculations can only use One processor for some reason?

Some CAM tasks cannot be divided up and sent to multiple processors. The data set must stay entact and complete within One group, sent to only One processor.

RAM is really never an issue with CAM calculations. Uses very little.

SUM3d (CIMSystem) is developing a new 64-bit version for release later this year, but I think the same problems regarding the use of only One processor will stay the same.

If you are watching using process explorer (Not task manager!) then you will see many times that only One processor is being used. Process Explorer

Process Explorer

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
so it really does come down to the onboard chipset of the roland mill. starting to leak, perhaps.

thank you glen i have forwarded your contact info to BrandonM.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Glen, he is calculating the tool-path. What'chu looking at meng?

I see the progress of it in upper right of the screen-shot.

I believe that CAM calculations can only use One processor for some reason?

Some CAM tasks cannot be divided up and sent to multiple processors. The data set must stay entact and complete within One group, sent to only One processor.

RAM is really never an issue with CAM calculations. Uses very little.

SUM3d (CIMSystem) is developing a new 64-bit version for release later this year, but I think the same problems regarding the use of only One processor will stay the same.

If you are watching using process explorer (Not task manager!) then you will see many times that only One processor is being used. Process Explorer

Process Explorer

"Just nested 10 crowns, and it turns out that toolpath calculations are not that resource hungry at all. I'd say CPU is at 40% average with occasional spikes. Memory allocation is pretty much constant..."

Scot,
Maybe I misunderstood but as I read it ZZ said he just nested 10 crowns. Nesting and tool path calculations are two different things. ZZ is that the proc during nesting or if it is the proc during tool path calculation?

CHL, I am not sure what you are saying about the onboard chipset leaking. Thank you for passing my contact info on to Brandon. I look forward to hearing from him and getting this resolved for you guys.

-Glenn

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Sum3d only uses one processor. I heard they are working on a multi core release.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Sorry, should've express myself better. What you see is toolpath calculations resource use. One 3 unit bridge, seven singles, all full contour. PC is stock, no upgrades, it came with the mill.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
CHL - You mentioned that the collet needs daily tightening ? That may be your issue - slipping tools. As for cable breakage, apart from those black round ones you can see inside (controlling the spindle, A and B axis) there is nothing inside the mill that could rupture from normal operation (the wires leading to stepper motors and limit switches are all fixed). Chipsets cannot leak, either work or don't. Haven't seen the PCB inside, but given how simple the construction is, it could be just a single MCU plus the stepper motor drivers.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
It is simply Gremlins.

Unfortunatly, I have seen this many times recently. :eek:hwell:

gremlins-movie-image.png

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
It is simply Gremlins.

Unfortunatly, I have seen this many times recently. :eek:hwell:

gremlins-movie-image.png

Careful, don't spray water on them...:D

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Techy

Techy

Reaction score
Collet.................that's my guess.......been there......