Refrigerated Air Dryer

E

escopche

Reaction score
I got a Kaeser KRD 075 at an auction. The manual says I need a water separator before it and after it. After that just plug in and go? When I call Kaeser I can't get much info, since I'm not buying a new one. Motor runs good, is there anything else I need to check?
Thanks,
Scott

B

bigbrush

Reaction score
I would go so. Have an Atlas Copco FX1, just plug and work.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Water and oil separator before it, and I run a series of 4 desiccant dryers after it. Dry, dry, dry.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I got a Kaeser KRD 075 at an auction. The manual says I need a water separator before it and after it. After that just plug in and go? When I call Kaeser I can't get much info, since I'm not buying a new one. Motor runs good, is there anything else I need to check?
Thanks,
Scott
What are you using for a compressor, and where is it located relative to the equipment its supplying?

E

escopche

Reaction score
What are you using for a compressor, and where is it located relative to the equipment its supplying?

I have a 40 gal Porter Cable compressor in the basement of the lab. I ran air and electric straight above it into a closet, so I have a switch to shut it off and a valve to shut air off to the lab. I want the dryer after the valve. Also in the basement i made a "spool" of copper tubing so the distance from the AC to the dryer would be about 30'

user name

user name

Reaction score
Being in a basement, youre compressing air that's more moist than the air upstairs. The copper spool is working as your after cooler I assume? The spool is wound in a vertical spiral rather than horizontal so it drains to the bottom and doesn't have multiple low spots I hope. It would be nice to have an auto drain on that. I got my desiccant dryers from an auto paint supply store. RTi MD-4. I swap out the cartridges a couple times a year.

I like your copper idea. You know what your doing. ;)

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Being in a basement, youre compressing air that's more moist than the air upstairs. The copper spool is working as your after cooler I assume? The spool is wound in a vertical spiral rather than horizontal so it drains to the bottom and doesn't have multiple low spots I hope. It would be nice to have an auto drain on that. I got my desiccant dryers from an auto paint supply store. RTi MD-4. I swap out the cartridges a couple times a year.

I like your copper idea. You know what your doing. ;)
He been watchin’ “Moonshiners”.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I have my compressor outside. I have a timer controlled valve on the tank to assist condensation from the tank. A water trap between the tank and the inside of the building heading to the refrigerator dryer. The oil capture is after the dryer, then a silicate dryer and a trap just before the air goes into the mill The hydraulics guys at Grainger laid out the "flow" for me and everything seems to be working as expected.

E

escopche

Reaction score
He been watchin’ “Moonshiners”.

Zx6D7.gif

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
I do not want to create a new thread, so I will ask here.
Do i really need a cold dryer ?
my compressor is in the next room
I would like to use such filters, Italco A6003 filters. it is ok ?

B

bigbrush

Reaction score
I would go for an air dryer, besaus air becomes by compression cold. A dryer also will eleminate tha water in the air.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
what are you using the air for?
If it's milling defiantly have a drier.

doug

doug

Reaction score
If you get moisture into your mill you'll create more costly problems than what a dryer unit costs.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I would go for an air dryer, besaus air becomes by compression cold. A dryer also will eleminate tha water in the air.
Slight correction...air when is compressed it becomes hot. Thats how its able to hold so much moisture.
@Jack_the_dentureman If your compressor doesnt have an after cooler, you need do drop the air temp somehow before going into most refrigerated dryers, or get one specific for a hot air supply. An after cooler could be as simple as a long air hose, suspended above the level of the compressor with no drooping low spots...like a snake attached to the ceiling. The air will cool, moisture will condense and drip back down through the hose into your tank. You will need an auto drain set up on your tank. Desiccant dryers like youve shown are a real pain. Those arent auto-recharging, so you would need to replace the beads at least every couple months. Dry air for milling is so important.Its not just hooking a couple pieces together. Its a system.
You can get by with what youve shown, but its a constant pain. Do it right the first time or youre wasting money. Then you can start another thread wondering why your margins are chipping. Moist air makes Zr dust sticky. When your burs start to wear they will easily collect Zr dust and then they wont cut well. Margins chip and youre losing time and money.
Just to be clear...you need a refrigerated dryer and a desiccant set up similar to what youve shown. Not one or the other.

You could use something like this...
Its a refrigrated dryer that allows a high air temp inlet, and has built in filters.
https://www.gamut.com/p/refrigerate...single-115v-ac-1-2-in-air-inlet-size-NTg4MTcw
You would still need to run an oil/water separator just before the unit, and desiccant units after.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
My apologies. Ive become an air snob.
Theres several ways to get there, but truely dry air on our scale will cost 1500 to 2000 dollar. Its not cheap, but its worth it.
Never substitute my judgement for your own. I often do six stupid things before breakfast.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
My apologies. Ive become an air snob.
Theres several ways to get there, but truely dry air on our scale will cost 1500 to 2000 dollar. Its not cheap, but its worth it.
Never substitute my judgement for your own. I often do six stupid things before breakfast.
No offense taken, it was just a suggestion/idea on that unit. I have seen posts from others that used it successfully, I personally have not had any experience with it. I do agree with you, "air snob" and all. I agree it does costs $$$ to do it right, but if dollars are a little tight, some kind of dryer may be better than none.

user name

user name

Reaction score
No offense taken, it was just a suggestion/idea on that unit. I have seen posts from others that used it successfully, I personally have not had any experience with it. I do agree with you, "air snob" and all. I agree it does costs $$$ to do it right, but if dollars are a little tight, some kind of dryer may be better than none.
All true, but Ive learned trying to go cheap is an expensive mistake. I have multiple air compressors, refrigerated dryers and desiccant dryers and filters in the basement just collecting dust because I tried to make things work. Ugh

Top Bottom