Receptionist aspiring to be a tech

J

Jyoti Jain

Reaction score
Dear DLN colleagues:

Kindly accept me to your highly progressive forum.

Our lab has 3shape, d900 scanner, Rolland and imes icore 450. We are soon gonna buy Versa mill 2x-500 to mill bars.

There is only one seat for dental system designing. How should I proceed with my new career. I really want to be a cad cam implant tech.

Kindly advise.

Jyoti

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Dear DLN colleagues:

Our lab has 3shape, d900 scanner, Rolland and imes icore 450. We are soon gonna buy Versa mill 2x-500 to mill bars.

There is only one seat for dental system designing. How should I proceed with my new career. I really want to be a cad cam implant tech.

Kindly advise.

Jyoti
When the music stops, you've got to be the first one to get to that seat.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Start drinking copious amounts of alcohol and working 16+ hours a day.
That should get you started.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
What experience do you already have, besides a receptionist?
Have you done anything in the lab?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Start drinking copious amounts of alcohol and working 16+ hours a day.
That should get you started.

Or in my case, massive amounts of coffee.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks, probably true, at least try to cut down to 16 cups a day...ok, I really only drink about 3-4 cups a day.

DentalTechTips

DentalTechTips

Reaction score
Dear DLN colleagues:

Kindly advise.

Jyoti

Hi Jyoti,

Welcome to the forum! Plenty of knowledgeable and wise members here.

If you really want to be a CAD/CAM implant technician I'd recommend that you start by familiarizing yourself with all of the available implant systems. There's plenty of Hybrid titanium base systems out there that will be compatible with your current setup. Medentika, NT-Trading, and DESS are the top 3. There are also pre-milled titanium blanks, but I'm assuming you don't have wet-milling capability. Designing implant bars and the knowledge and application of the different types of bars could be an asset as well.

The other aspect of CAD/CAM implants would be case planning for guided surgery. 3shape implant studio and BlueSkyPlan are the software packages that immediately come to mind. For that you need to have a separate license as well as a 3D Printer and access to CBCT scans

I wouldn't recommend jumping right into implants and focusing only on that since it makes up such a small part of the dental laboratory CAD/CAM workflow. I'm just going based off of anecdotal evidence, but in my personal experience, out of every 10 cases that I do, maybe 1 will be an implant case.

I'd focus on the basics and getting good at the core mechanics of CAD design first and foremost. Understanding anatomy and designing your restorations with proper support will take you a lot further in your career.

Good luck and all the best to you in your career!

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Have you thought about being a dental hygenist or a sales rep to dentists or MD's, or a...something else?
;)

G

grantoz

Reaction score
Have you thought of actually doing some tech training in i dunno maybe being a dental technician,just a thought.i know its a pretty easy job after all you have been near it all as a receptionist in the same building and everything you also will need to learn how to handle very dark feelings at times.Redrum is not always the answer..

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Dear DLN colleagues:

Kindly advise.

Jyoti
i would suggest going to try working at a larger implant facility such as Argen or Atlantis. they will be more willing to train a person with little knowledge.

DentalTechTips

DentalTechTips

Reaction score
i would suggest going to try working at a larger implant facility such as Argen or Atlantis. they will be more willing to train a person with little knowledge.
That depends entirely on the environment and culture of the laboratory.

Sure, there are places that have the overhead and margins to take on trainees.

Conversely, There are large labs and manufacturers where you're expected to clock in, do your job and clock out without any signs of advancement.

Same goes for the moms and pops. There's small labs where the disgruntled owner expects their employees to be slaves that they can exploit for minimum wage.

Then there's small labs that focus on treating employees fairly and with respect.

My advice would be to approach their superior. Whether it's a department head, general manager or the owner directly. Volunteer some of their free time after work, or during scheduled breaks to just observe and try out a few cases in time to get their feet wet. The key here is to make it clear that you intend to be paid eventually and that this is the career path that you intend to pursue.

If there are no signs of advancement with this company... Then it's time to pack up and move on to the next opportunity.

Check out tutorials on YouTube and 3shape academy videos as well.

No competent manager is going to turn down a volunteering of free labor. And so long as it's made clear that there is a goal of career advancement, there's no reason why a company wouldn't want to retain someone who shows a work ethic and desire to grow.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Have you thought of actually doing some tech training in i dunno maybe being a dental technician,just a thought.i know its a pretty easy job after all you have been near it all as a receptionist in the same building and everything you also will need to learn how to handle very dark feelings at times.Redrum is not always the answer..
You sound........like your dis is gruntled

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
I can say... my wife is "JUST the part time front office/delivery girl"... but she has done lab procedures and boxed up/ delivered her work in a pinch WITH ABSOLUTELY NO TRAINING WHATSOEVER.... She has just seen the finished procedure oso many times I guess that works for her. It's not about what you do... it's all about what you CAN do... Never judge.
OP-- be sure to check $$$ scales-- you may make more up front!

J

Jyoti Jain

Reaction score
I can say... my wife is "JUST the part time front office/delivery girl"... but she has done lab procedures and boxed up/ delivered her work in a pinch WITH ABSOLUTELY NO TRAINING WHATSOEVER.... She has just seen the finished procedure oso many times I guess that works for her. It's not about what you do... it's all about what you CAN do... Never judge.
OP-- be sure to check $$$ scales-- you may make more up front!
Thanks for boosting my morale.