Putty matrix.

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
So I've made a million matrixs after waxup up for temps. But this doctor always wants me to refill the matrix with low body and shove the matrix back over the waxups. I've always been against remipressing with more material as it just messes the fit of the matrix up. But that's how this doc wants it. The problem is this thin set of low body doesn't stick to the siltec matrix and it becomes a waste of my time trying to get things just right. Any suggestions? Some imp adhesive? What?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
The layer of low body is so thin and not sticking to the putty that it just pulls right out. Don't have much of a problem with one or two waxups but mostly with a full arch. It's already a stupid way to do it, I'm tired of wasting my time. This same doc send us facebows so out of line I'm told to adjust them. Wasting my time, the docs time, and the patients time with these razzle dazzle facebows.

L

lifelikedental

Reaction score
What type of ligh body are you using? I use this method for all my temp matrix and it works great. I use vinylpolysiloxane light body with Zhermack Platinum85. Never had a problem with light body not sticking to the base

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Marcus, try Coltene's Lab putty regular or another poly-type putty. Your wash will stay much better than on the Siltech.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Take your initial putty matrix, and ream it out with a carbide, removing the fine detail area and interproximals. Leave the borders alone to get a positive seat when you reline it. This will give you some space for the light body material to move, and a roughened surface to better adhere to (or add some tray adhesive).

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
Cleaning the Matrix with Isopropyl alcohol is supposed to help the light-body wash adhere

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
get a firm putty with compatible light body that is on the inexpensive side of cost. Inject the light body onto wax up and immediately form the putty tray on top just like a doc takes an impression in the mouth. Let set. It should pop off with complete harmony. Siltech is just a very firm putty and very greasy to work with. A putty system with 50/50 mix of material usually works best for our hands.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Thx for the input.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Moved to current forum.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Marcus, try Coltene's Lab putty regular or another poly-type putty. Your wash will stay much better than on the Siltech.

Yep, this is why I don't use Sil-tech, too damn greasy nothing wants to stick to it. Best stuff I've found is from another lab....Kaylor Dental Lab (Three Appointment Denture Lab Putty) Regular Set. It comes in blue and white, they have a fast set (60 secs) as well but I like the regular just in case I need time to mold it and then I can use any polyvinyl as a wash, sticks to it like my girlfriend does me :p

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Oh, you just need to invite the smart alecks with you bragging . . .
While on the topic, I like the Blue and (off)-white putty from Patterson but
lately, had 2 batches with little green spots looking like mold in the white/catalyst
tub. Anyone noticed that before? It's almost like the stuff that grows around
the caulking around tubs . . . we asked Patterson to take it back, they
did but did not confirm or deny . . .
LCM

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Yep, this is why I don't use Sil-tech, too damn greasy nothing wants to stick to it. Best stuff I've found is from another lab....Kaylor Dental Lab (Three Appointment Denture Lab Putty) Regular Set. It comes in blue and white, they have a fast set (60 secs) as well but I like the regular just in case I need time to mold it and then I can use any polyvinyl as a wash, sticks to it like my girlfriend does me :p

She must have a thing for your heavy body!;)

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
She must have a thing for your heavy body!;)

Don't know why but I just imagined putty speeding down the road in a car running for its life.......

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Oh, you just need to invite the smart alecks with you bragging . . .
While on the topic, I like the Blue and (off)-white putty from Patterson but
lately, had 2 batches with little green spots looking like mold in the white/catalyst
tub. Anyone noticed that before? It's almost like the stuff that grows around
the caulking around tubs . . . we asked Patterson to take it back, they
did but did not confirm or deny . . .
LCM

I've never seen that, the only thing I noticed was if I left it on the shelf for six months it will dry out on me. But then again, I might not of tightened the cap all the way down either, probably operator error.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Thanks. Just throwing it out there what with all that mold in steroid injections killing back ache patients with epidurals.
LCM