Process for cleaning green state Bruxzir or zirconia?

T

tonester

Reaction score
This questions would be good for lab's milling Bruxzir and other types of Z.

After cutting your green state Bruxzir from puck how do you clean before dipping in shade liquid?

We do it by the book as Glidewell recommends: submerge crowns in ultrasonic and water for 30-sec-1 minute. Then use microwave and heat lamp to dry. It does fill the ultrasonic immediately and takes a lot of loose powder off, but it also takes more time than just using brush and compressed air. I believe Glidewell's SEM's that show the difference but i have not done my own study.
In speaking with Glidewell they weren't able to state factually that the increased dust removal aids in better bonding for layering over. They feel it's logical but haven't backed that claim up with data.

Has anyone done both on Bruxzir and have an opinion.

I'm curious how many don't submerege in ultrasonic and are still pleased with results. Talking with users of other Z, it seems everyone just blows them off.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Blow them off and brush.

The Internal will get sandblasted, the external will get ground on, then glazed in most cases.

Total waste of time IMO. Silly.

David S.

David S.

Reaction score
I have tried it with putting the zirconia in H2O in a ultrasonic for 5 mins and tried it with just blowing off. Same shade use and the ones with no water were 1 to 2 shades lighter than the ones with water used.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
This questions would be good for lab's milling Bruxzir and other types of Z.

After cutting your green state Bruxzir from puck how do you clean before dipping in shade liquid?

We do it by the book as Glidewell recommends: submerge crowns in ultrasonic and water for 30-sec-1 minute. Then use microwave and heat lamp to dry. It does fill the ultrasonic immediately and takes a lot of loose powder off, but it also takes more time than just using brush and compressed air. I believe Glidewell's SEM's that show the difference but i have not done my own study.
In speaking with Glidewell they weren't able to state factually that the increased dust removal aids in better bonding for layering over. They feel it's logical but haven't backed that claim up with data.

Has anyone done both on Bruxzir and have an opinion.

I'm curious how many don't submerege in ultrasonic and are still pleased with results. Talking with users of other Z, it seems everyone just blows them off.

We have been putting ours in the ultrasonic for years now. I think both brushing and using the US works, but US is just a good way to get out what the brush doesn't. Kind of a backup. At one time, we had some newbies not brushing good and this eliminated the chance that they might let a few get in the furnace with powder in the inside. Also helps clean what might get missed in small anteriors. We only go a couple minutes in the US to get that excess. Make sure to dry under a heat lamp.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I've done both. I used to put in a bag with distilled water, hold in ultrasonic for about 10 seconds and rinse. Worked well, never had loose powder left on the crown. Only problem is that you have to dry them before coloring, and then dry them again after coloring.

Now I do as we teach. After removal from disc I smooth everything up and prepolish with our Pro Art Polishing wheel. Then use a medium-stiff brush and compressed air to remove powder. You just have to be a little more diligent on the internal surfaces to make sure you get all the powder out. But you have the benefit of not having to dry before coloring, because they were never wet. So that means they can be put in the sintering oven at least 30 minutes sooner.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I blow them out with air/suction and twist/brush the inside with a small brush.. Still looking for a better brush, but a soft toothbrush works too. I really dont want to wet my crowns before coloring, just to have to dry them, then color, then dry again.. Efficient is the key word.. theres more than one way to skin a cat