Price Reduction for IOS cases?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Where do you get a model printed for $3-4? I cant even print my own model for that much..

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Where do you get a model printed for $3-4? I cant even print my own model for that much..
Just printing it myself, using hollow models. Could be 5 bucks, but definitely not any more than that for quadrants.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
On what printer?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
All I can say is, It's a lot harder to raise prices in the future once you've entered the downhill race. I can promise you the doctor has a lot more latitude with pricing than most labs. Zirconia crowns have increased their profit margin by huge amounts while ours has been falling due to technology making them a commodity.

doug

doug

Reaction score
NO! I do have a doc who wanted to know if I'd I'd split the model cost with him for itero. He never asked what the cost was, so I think he was fishing for a little extra.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
We rebate $20 per case (not per unit) for going model-free. As for the Trios vs. CareStream question, I would go with Trios...

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
As I said we literally have all the equipment and software we need. The only added cost will be the resin

At one point you will have to replace/maintain the Scanner, PC and printer. You have to calculate that cost into your pricing, you can not just think of the consumables. Plus, somebody has to work the machines and he/she has to eat, too...

I'd love to see the cost analysis on this when you are all set up

This!

As of now, I am still not sold on printed models. I certainly see the benefits, but cost is not one of them. If taken all into account, I actually think, like somebody already mentioned, there should be an extra fee... And, I do a lot implant and anterior restorations and, especially for single anterior cases, I just don't see the details, I require for my work.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
@Bryce Hiller you've gotten some great responses, but one more thing to put some perspective in play. Your model fee for a plaster model is not based anywhere near only the $1.50 of stone in the model. There *may* be less work per case when all is well in the world, but what about if the resin overflows the reservoir or it gets too cold one night and your resin reacts badly needing replacing the whole batch. These thing do happen! Expect it.

Your savings, if any, are yours. This is business.

If you want as close as possible to an operatory apples to apples comparison to talk with the doc about; most of them have gone from film xray to digital sensor xray. That sensor aside from being vomit level expensive, needs a new sheath for each use, a PC with the right, yearly licensed, software suite to 'run' the xray sensors and make the data into a human readable format, a backup solution so they don't lose the electronic data records if their is a local pc data loss event from drive failure, fire, etc. So, it is a pretty fair comparison.

The guy I go to doesn't charge me for a filling, but he does for the xray...

Last edited:
PDC

PDC

Reaction score
It's incredulous to me that we as dental techs are even discussing price reductions at all. If you were getting $100 for a crown in 1980 and factor in inflation, then that crown should be $314.77 today.

Have cars and houses gone down in price? Medical and Dental care? Have your supplies gone down in price? Do you still give raises to your employees? You can't fight inflation by dropping prices!

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Just printing it myself, using hollow models. Could be 5 bucks, but definitely not any more than that for quadrants.

It will be a very long time before that number is real, if ever with current technologies.
I know that's what all the spreadsheets tell you, but printing is a very different animal than milling and you will spend a significant amount of time tweaking and learning.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Just an example to ponder. When we switched from stock implant abutments to custom our price to the doc went up just a little bit to cover additional expense in higher shipping and the cost increase of the part. The docs around here "Sold" them as a better, more accurate product to the patient and raised their fee from $100.00 to $250.00 per abutment. Their responsibility was to put it in and make sure it was torqued, just like a stock abutment. Keep Hope Alive!

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
We print models, our material cost (Excluding cleaning time) is roughly 3-5$ per arch on our Eden 260v machines. Granted maintanence will add to the cost but the volume we print makes it a marginal difference in overall cost. Now we charge around 9$ extra per model per case as long as they are getting something with it (Mainly for our Ortho models). When we print just models and nothing else we are run around 20-30$ per arch as a printing fee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom