Press to Metal / Zirconia

A

AaronR

Reaction score
Hello Fellow DLN!!

Happy Hump Day; hope everyone is having a great week! I wanted to start a brief thread to see how many of you are pressing porcelain over metal or zirconia frames... Maybe what systems you are using, positive / negatives of the systems, etc... general discussion to help give me guidance and insights.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
stick to layering...... been down that road with my staff and have concluded that it is faster and more efficient to just do a monolithic or 2 powder build up for PFM or PFZr

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I always wondered what the benefits are when pressing to metal/zir.. Seems like a lot of extra steps and extra variables that could cause failures.

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
I press to metal and zirconia everyday. Have been for years. I will layer facial anterior emax. I use pulse interface for pom and AP for poz.

Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I had a lot of experience with this. It seems like extra steps, but if u are using digital to print or mill it can be a lot more economical when employing correct techniques. P.M me if you'd like to discuss further. I was at a lab that did 60 - 75 units daily this way.

G

gold999

Reaction score
I press to metal using Jensen's Pulse Interface and press to Zi using Ivoclar's Zirpress. Since day one the pulse interface presses well, but the press will lift the
metal framework 90 - 95% of the time on molars. Pressing bicuspids is a lot more consistent - what you wax is what is pressed and no where near the framework
lifting. Believe me, I've tried everything under the sun ! Not a problem pressing to metal implant frameworks. I haven't had any issues at all pressing to Zi copings or implant abutments.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i do press to metal and press to zi. works out well.

Smilemaker1234

Smilemaker1234

Reaction score
i do press to metal and press to zi. works out well.
Are you using Emax press to Zirconia?
Do I need different ingots for the press to technique or can I us my LT ingots.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score

You would need the IPS e.max ZriPress ingots. They are different than the normal IPS e.max Press ingots.

IPS e.max Press is the Lithium Disilicate material with a CTE of 10.5 (same as Zirconia, so not compatible).

IPS e.max ZirPress is a Flourapatite glass ceramic with a CTE of 9.8 (think IPS e.max Ceram in an ingot form).

ZirPress comes in 3 translucencies (HT, LT, MO) and a gingival ingot for pressing gingiva on large bridgework. Most of the time we only press the HT material, since your Zirconia framework is giving most of shade and opacity.

Rick1230

Rick1230

Reaction score
you have to use zirpress 4 Zircon.

When you want to use E-max, you can solder it to Zircon.

Edit: Oh 2 slow, sry :)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

no, i do not use emax for my press over metal/zirconia. and for the rest, see above :D

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
I always wondered what the benefits are when pressing to metal/zir.. Seems like a lot of extra steps and extra variables that could cause failures.
It is extra steps, but in the right areas, worth it.
Here's where I use it:
Bridges- zero shrinking, zero tearing, clean interproximals. Especially useful for PB shoulder bridges and singles.
Masking out dark stump with HS zr, once again on bridges.
Mono shade screw retained units-the screw canal is exactly where you wax it.
Most press-over ceramics need a little jazzing up, so be sure you can build effects into it.

Smilemaker1234

Smilemaker1234

Reaction score
You would need the IPS e.max ZriPress ingots. They are different than the normal IPS e.max Press ingots.

IPS e.max Press is the Lithium Disilicate material with a CTE of 10.5 (same as Zirconia, so not compatible).

IPS e.max ZirPress is a Flourapatite glass ceramic with a CTE of 9.8 (think IPS e.max Ceram in an ingot form).

ZirPress comes in 3 translucencies (HT, LT, MO) and a gingival ingot for pressing gingiva on large bridgework. Most of the time we only press the HT material, since your Zirconia framework is giving most of shade and opacity.
Thanks

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Don't press to anything any more.

We do full contour Z with a small labial or buccal veneer cut back so esthetics can be upgraded. Faster and stronger than press?

It looks like the newest 600 mp translucent Z will probably eliminate even most of this. Mills like butter.