Over denture design

Chiolo

Chiolo

Reaction score
Should an upper over denture always design in horseshoe shape, and why?
A german friend told me this. I don't know whether it is his experience or a specified rule :confused:

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Would depend on attachment, or implant. a slant lock can be like a removable all on 4, just a couple of micro Locators might still be a full palate.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Always preferable to have a metal framework with a palatial strap if you want to go with horseshoe design regardless of the attachments.

Chiolo

Chiolo

Reaction score
Thank you AJEL and Nicole. I guess when using attachments for rentention, patient would prefer to a lighter and more compact denture. So that horse shoe shape (or with palatial strap) would be more acceptable than full plate

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
I thought it was more to do with improving the overall standard of life. Horseshoe design means the patient can taste the food alot better and can feel the texture of what they are eating and drinking plus it has a massive effect on phonetics.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I thought it was more to do with improving the overall standard of life. Horseshoe design means the patient can taste the food alot better and can feel the texture of what they are eating and drinking plus it has a massive effect on phonetics.
It would be the best, but some dentures are attachment supported prosthetic and some are tissue supported attachment retained. In the case of a denture the more tissue coverage in general the more stable. I have some upper dentures that are like lowers with no attachments and the patient makes it work, I have some spherio flex that have 4 implants and the patient required a full palate to replace missing bone & tissue.
It is a matter of patient expectations, abilities and comfort. K2 an implant bridge does not always have only teeth sometimes a certian amount of pink is required, with removable a cast frame might be nice but may not meet the patients desired cosmetic, or implant availability.