nextEngine scanner

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I have about eleventy-billions things I've been up to recently.......

Just thought I'd share my experience with a new toy I got two days ago.

I bought the tilt/rotary table and the HDPRO software.

VERY FUN!! You need a strong computer. At least quad core or i7

NextEngine Desktop 3D Scanner

Click on products....then multidrive.

I am getting very detailed data. I LOVE GOOD DATA!:)

Will be scanning some body parts tonight.;)

Today I am scanning Ortho models for AccuTech in VA.
Yesterday I was scanning C&B single dies. Printing them today
to check on dimensional accuracy against real die and cast pattern.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You can set-up everything! I love this.

It is giving me a peek behind behind the screen to see what our Dental CAD software is made of.

From setting up a scan, to stitching together and fusing scans, noise filters,
simplifying a meshed structure to reduce file size/data.

What effect does eliminating 10% of the total poly count do? How to maintain shape after this smoothing. Too much data and you waste serious processor power/time/$$.

What's smoothing algorithms? How many iterations do I want to apply?

Options for filling holes (data voids)

Last edited:
aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Welcome back ***. You have "banned" written under your user name.

This is the first I've heard of the NextEngine scanner. It looks odd compared to other dental scanners and the price seems unbelievable at $3,000. Have you tried scanning an impression yet? Let us know your results. I'm glad your back, I always enjoy reading your posts.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
half-banned?

I put that name there.

My IP addresses were banned from months ago.

I think I got a new address at home, but still banned I.P. at work.

Laser scanners pretty much do not need to be enclosed in a box, unlike
our white-stripe types.

I scanned my 12year old son's face tonight. (Added color! Scanner has eight lasers and two 3mP cameras!)

His eyes did not scan. Too shiny.

I sprayed talc powder all over his head.

OK, this thing is a little light, and needs to be on a heavy desk. No movement or vibrations during the scanning. I think I need a metal brace for all the parts. The parts are metal, but not steel. Al? I don't know what the maximum number of points is, but I've never seen my Alienware get this bogged down, ever!

This thing is not for production in a Dental Lab. It is open x10 and exports in all sorts of languages. Best to leave it up to the experts who have done all the work and created specific software/scanner packages for the Dental Industry. It took 22 minites for me to scan a full maxillary arc, including the full pallet and I even got the buttcracks inbetween teeth. Wish my IP wasn't banned at work, or I'd post up some pics.

Scott

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
How accurate is this for our industry Scott?
Marginal integrity? Can you scan some and print or mill them and let us know.......I'm curious to see the results.....Seems to good to be true.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Its great, but slow. You can scan your house! Or get inches away and have a Dental model fill the screen. (Field of view, focus/zoom? i don't know what you call it. I suc at photography.)

I think we could get an honest 25-50um between points. I don't know. It will be close. I may remove a plastic cover on the laser array. Me thinks its diffracting beam energy in a boogus way. I will replace with polorized glass to get clean laser lines.
I'm seeing over one million points on a fused and healed full arch model.
Nine scans at a 45 degree angle (360 degrees in nine segments)
Seven scans at -8degree angle (nextengines suggestion, but I don't like this angle) (360 degree in seven shots)

I cut noise, aligned the scans, some fusing and meshing, little polishing and decimation (I think that is the word) or point reduction in non-critical areas to reduce file size, I really need to read the instructions I think.

I eliminated most of the 2d color data (stored in seperate files;used for CGI work, or video gaming industry). This would really slow down my computer, because I had the scanner set-up to recieve 40million 3D points per scan. I think the next step up is 160million max.

You never fill the whole screen with teeth, (close to it with a full arch!)
So the data points are never that high. My computer would self-destruct trying to work with that.

Know'wut i mean Vern?

a3.bp.blogspot.com__slVFtEzHw4g_SGhTxu3CvdI_AAAAAAAAAWg_X_pHkehI94I_s400_ernest.jpg
a3.bp.blogspot.com__slVFtEzHw4g_SGhTxu3CvdI_AAAAAAAAAWg_X_pHkehI94I_s400_ernest.jpg

Last edited:
Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
It would be interesting to have a model milled off a scanned model and then compare the fit of a restoration. I know you say this isn't a piece of dental equipment but when your a blacksmith isn't everything a hammer?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
ai43.tinypic.com_doqw5e.jpg

I have the HDPro software. Need new 64bit computer with plenty of RAM and processors. May upgrade current computer?
ai43.tinypic.com_doqw5e.jpg

Kendall

Kendall

Reaction score
That is looking good. How satisfied are you?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
For $2999! It's very educational and fun.

I can't believe it actually works!

It records full color as well.
My wife wants me to scan her top.

I had success in overlaying two fused meshes (each mesh had 18 scans divided by two different scan families). I scanned bottom of object, then re-mounted and scanned the top.
Object: A 360 degree scan of tiny complex objects in 75um resolution. Printed my designs. Looks good to me!:)

We will be scanning jewelry, toys, people, ?? for the next few weeks.

I'm a little burnt out on Dental stuff. Need to play a little. My brain hurts.

Last edited: