Newbie with a salary question

W

Waldo

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I read through a lot of posts here and find this forum really informative and awesome.
Now a little bit to my person.
I was trained as a dental lab tech in Germany. After 7 years I decided to switch careers to become a dentist.
While at the university I still worked as a dental tech part time and continued to do so when I worked as a dentist in Germany. I'm trained in every aspect. I worked years in the C&B department and I also have experience as a removable tech (also C&B combined cases as well telescopic crown cases). We always did everything from start to finish. The only thing I've never worked with are implant cases. I'm eager to learn that!
Almost 2 years ago we moved to the states and because of the licensing problem to become a dentist here I found a job as a removable tech.
Here is my question! What is the average salary as a removable tech? I'm making 40k near the DC area without any benefits except vacation days and sometimes I'll get a holiday paid.
Please let me know your thoughts!
Sorry for the long post!

Thanks!

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I read through a lot of posts here and find this forum really informative and awesome.
Now a little bit to my person.
I was trained as a dental lab tech in Germany. After 7 years I decided to switch careers to become a dentist.
While at the university I still worked as a dental tech part time and continued to do so when I worked as a dentist in Germany. I'm trained in every aspect. I worked years in the C&B department and I also have experience as a removable tech (also C&B combined cases as well telescopic crown cases). We always did everything from start to finish. The only thing I've never worked with are implant cases. I'm eager to learn that!
Almost 2 years ago we moved to the states and because of the licensing problem to become a dentist here I found a job as a removable tech.
Here is my question! What is the average salary as a removable tech? I'm making 40k near the DC area without any benefits except vacation days and sometimes I'll get a holiday paid.
Please let me know your thoughts!
Sorry for the long post!

Thanks!
Sounds about right. I work for a large company with similar pay, with benefits, same area. Far less experience though so I think you should be paid more. Of course I think I should make
More as well.. Haha

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
Dentist. Trained removable technician, living in a high rent area...no benefits???? You need to move on and get paid better. I know at Micro Monster Lab their managers make over $100,000.00, and they are not Ph.d's. Not that I recommend Micro. But you could command way more money.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I've no idea what is involved with getting your dental license here, but I'd be looking at the lab gig as something short term to get you by until you get your license here.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Between 40 & 50K sounds about right for a highly experienced tech, but since you're a dentist too, you should be at the high end of that
scale or more IMHO!

W

Waldo

Reaction score
Thanks for so much input from all of you! I guess I will go on and look for more challenges. I don't like to stand still. Maybe another lab with a better position or I could open my own lab or I try to get my lisence as a dentist here (but this is very time consuming and very expensive).
And, yes, he knows that I'm a dentist!

Luke

Luke

Reaction score
Thanks for so much input from all of you! I guess I will go on and look for more challenges. I don't like to stand still. Maybe another lab with a better position or I could open my own lab or I try to get my lisence as a dentist here (but this is very time consuming and very expensive).
And, yes, he knows that I'm a dentist!

I'm 2 years into this process of becoming a dentist. It is a challenging task all around including financing. Curious the difference in licensing between America and Germany. Does Germany require undergraduate studies, dental admission tests, and board exams?

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
I have to add, I live in a very expensive area. And. Not all technicians get this pay. In fact, this information was from two techs that were acting MANAGERS. Also the humongous labs have a tier system. They have several grades of quality. The slave labor factor is real. Not so much in money but in quotas. That is why I get so ornery about quotas. People who are strictly price shopping might not realize they are supporting this style of production.

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
People who are price shopping do not care about what type of production they are supporting. Till they get something that doesn't fly, then they're angry.

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
Waldo I've worked with German CDT's and you are well qualified and grossly underpaid. Time to move on. Don't expect 100K though. Not this point.

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Waldo have you talked with any oral surgeons about training as a hybrid chair side technician, I would suggest this as you have chair side experience and removable experience.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Get your US license. Many universities have one year programs just for your situation. Will cost you around 100k. You will have a much easier life.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
Waldo I've worked with German CDT's and you are well qualified and grossly underpaid. Time to move on. Don't expect 100K though. Not this point.
Yes. I feel it was somewhat irresponsible for me to post that without qualifiers. Even if factual for a small group. I doubt even half of the technicians make this much.

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
If they do it's typically their fault!!!

user name

user name

Reaction score
100,000 is a nice round number...not too far in the past that would have been a huge income; in the near future, who knows. For now though, it seems very do-able. I have several friends...a tile layer, a trash collector, a tree trimmer, a plumber and an electrician. They all are earning (just over) 100k.

As nice as it would be to have more time off for fun, theres always the option that Ive chosen...work more.