New to CAD CAM

J

James Bliss

Reaction score
Hi guys names James, I'm relatively new to the whole digital dentistry. Quick question what is meant by over milling? and how to I apply it to design on 3 shape or milling?

cheers.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
overmilling is where you defer control of the quality of a surface to the CNC instead of constricting it to mill what it is capable of milling.

this mostly just applies to milling an intaglio surface; enabling overmill for this area will let the cnc decide (based on its cutter geometry) to purposefully cut the surface deeper than the design permits, as to guarantee fit.

this is dangerous for 2 reasons: 1. any time you have designed an area at minimum thickness you will be assured that the part will be under minimum thickness once milled. 2. with steep prep walls the cutters will not be able to overmill (on a simple 3 axis machine) without compromising the margin (because on a 3 axis machine the part is unable to pitch-yaw-roll movement)

how t is safely applied is by ignoring die spacer settings completely in lieu of a 0 space gap, because this way the cnc will be able to generate its own fit.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Like Lukey said.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

J

James Bliss

Reaction score
Ok thanks, so it is something you can control via the mill then? I have a zenotec mini which is 4 axis, so can I do it with this mill or are the more advanced 5 axis better at it?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
overmilling is a function of the CAM software and due to its dangerous qualities it is hidden away by most providers. the only one i know it is actually widely used with, is Planmill.

other than that, you'll have to contact your software provider for more information.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Ok thanks, so it is something you can control via the mill then? I have a zenotec mini which is 4 axis, so can I do it with this mill or are the more advanced 5 axis better at it?

If your using the Weiland Cam on the Mini 4axis don't even worry bout it, just mill your stuff and your fine.

J

James Bliss

Reaction score
Ok great thanks for the feedback guys!

Top Bottom