New excise tax starts in 2013!!

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
LMT wrote this article in their June/July 2010 magazine.
Looks like we are trying to fight it but may get expensive.

There is also an article about FDA registration on page 10.
You can google LMT and read the magazine on line.

New Healthcare Law Includes Excise Tax On Restorations
LMT June/July 2010 | News
The Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010—signed into law in May—has caused concern among laboratory owners wondering if the 2.3% excise tax on medical devices applies to dental restorations. At the heart of the confusion is the vague terminology in the legislation which says the 2.3% tax applies to the selling price of medical devices and is payable by the “manufacturer, producer or importer” of the device but doesn’t specifically define who qualifies as a manufacturer, producer or importer.

To address these concerns, the NADL Executive Board worked with its Washington D.C.-based law firm, Reed Smith, LLP, to scrutinize the Act and has concluded that it does apply to dental laboratories. “Our legal analysis is that, as written, the legislation will apply to dental laboratories, given the FDA’s previous classification of dental laboratories as medical device manufacturers,” says Bennett Napier, CAE, NADL co-executive director.

Here’s a closer look at the results of the NADL’s analysis:

All dental laboratories will be required to pay a 2.3% tax on their annual sales of restorations and appliances starting in 2013. Within the next two years, the IRS will develop regulations for the collection, reporting and submission of the tax.

The tax applies to the finished device rather than components. For example, if Laboratory A outsources a partial framework to Laboratory B, there would be no tax due on the transaction. The tax only applies when Laboratory A delivers the final case to the prescribing dentist.

For imported restorations, the importer—meaning the U.S. agent for the foreign laboratory, or the domestic laboratory or dental practice that sent it directly overseas—is responsible for the tax.

Restorations fabricated in the dental office are also subject to the excise tax. “In essence, dentists using chairside milling systems would be defined as a manufacturer of those finished restorations created in their practice setting,” says Napier.

The NADL is currently exploring legislative or regulatory approaches to exempting dental laboratories from the legislation. For instance, it met with the ADA in May and discussed the possibility of joint lobbying efforts. “The NADL and the dental laboratory industry are one of many groups that may be seeking an exemption,” says Napier. “It will be a long and potentially expensive journey to see if it’s politically feasible.”

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
And where is all this money going.........
God-Willing I will be living in Switzerland by 2013..

thetoothfarie

thetoothfarie

Reaction score
O-great one more thing to worrie about. Isn't it ALL suppose to be over Dec. 21, 2012 anyway?:hippie:

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I sure hope so, and if not, I'm going to get really pissed off at you tooth fairy because you didn't bring me any money for all these teeth i've been making and putting under my pillow ;)

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
Just another good reason to vote obamy out....

doug

doug

Reaction score
This is not an Obama issue. While I'm no fan of his, I am really tired of people using him for a punching bag because they are too ignorant to look into the History of the issue.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
or to busy to look into it.. so how about a history lesson?

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
And where is all this money going.........
God-Willing I will be living in Switzerland by 2013..

The "Entitlement Generation" borrowing from Peter to pay Paul for 41 years. As brutal as Obama / Bernanke policies will be for the nation long term, none of it is even possible without a Republican enabler.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
or to busy to look into it.. so how about a history lesson?

Not to busy about it to complain on DLN though...

This guy took over an ecomony that was in the crapper, turned a country that was losing over 100,000 jobs a month into a country that has been creating jobs over the last 4 years! He helped stop a depression, killed Bin Laden and Kadafi. Hasn't weakend the military at all, saved the auto industry in the US. What else do you want him to do for this country? There is things wrong in this country, but to just blame a one term president is stupid!!

so how bout your history lesson!!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score

This guy took over an ecomony that was in the crapper, turned a country that was losing over 100,000 jobs a month into a country that has been creating jobs over the last 4 years! He helped stop a depression, killed Bin Laden and Kadafi. Hasn't weakend the military at all, saved the auto industry in the US. What else do you want him to do for this country? There is things wrong in this country, but to just blame a one term president is stupid!!

Well then, that didnt answer the statement in question, but thanks for telling us how you really feel. I wasnt complaining about it really, I dont have to pay this stupid tax.. He might have done a few things right, that doesnt make him a strong president. Lay off the MSNBC for a day or two..

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score

DECAF..... MUST TRY DECAF.

ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score

First of all he wasn't first who started strategy of stopping potential depression. Palson started during Bush's presidency and then he (Obama) continued with Bernanke the same strategy of pumping financial industry in a form of low discount rates for banks and brokerage company's.. How about not distorting the history if you wanna look smart????
...and do you remember why housing market collapsed???? I tell you why, because your democrats B. Franks and Dodd and other lib company pushed Fanny and Freddy to give low income population[who needed to be kept away far from ANY,I mean any borrowing] all this toxic loans which eventually become really TOXIC I'd say nuclear!!!
....go party of 45% population who is not paying tax at all. Yea!!!! killed Qaddafi, really, literally? So,do you fill better after american ambassador been killed? Or is it got safer when Alkada filled vacuum in Livia and Tunisia now? get off MSNBC cool-aid drinkers.

Last edited:
shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
First of all he wasn't first who started strategy of stopping potential depression. Palson started during Bush's presidency and then he (Obama) continued with Bernanke the same strategy of pumping financial industry in a form of low discount rates for banks and brokerage company's.. How about not distorting the history if you wanna look smart????
...and do you remember why housing market collapsed???? I tell you why, because your democrats B. Franks and Dodd and other lib company pushed Fanny and Freddy to give low income population[who needed to be kept away far from ANY,I mean any borrowing] all this toxic loans which eventually become really TOXIC I'd say nuclear!!!
....go party of 45% population who is not paying tax at all. Yea!!!! killed Qaddafi, really, literally? So,do you fill better after american ambassador been killed? Or is it got safer when Alkada filled vacuum in Livia and Tunisia now? get off MSNBC cool-aid drinkers.

How did I distort history? Were we in economic trouble when Obama took office? YES!! You think if we don't take the bailouts(that, accourding to you, supposidly the republicans started) that the country would just fix itself?Hey tell me again what happend the last time Wall Street collapsed? Was that the great depresion? What did the bailout help correct, wall street from failing, investment banking from going under(which I will admit was part of clintons fault) and are auto industry from failing. Did or didn't that stuff get saved with the stimulus? I wasn't praising Obama, what I was stating was the economy's status when he took office. So why don't you take your lips off of Fox's ass, and learn to take in all view points!!!!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Ford did not accept any bailout.
GM was making crap at the time,Ford wasn't.

ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
So why don't you take your lips off of Fox's ass, and learn to take in all view points!!!!

I don't watch fox news or msnBS. I just follow common sense. I am not a republican or democrat. I just a responsible taxpayer,investor and citizen. Bailouts -shmeylouts. How about not looking to the others pockets and not sticking to the "rich".

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I don't watch fox news or msnBS. I just follow common sense. I am not a republican or democrat. I just a responsible taxpayer,investor and citizen. Bailouts -shmeylouts. How about not looking to the others pockets and not sticking to the "rich".

Careful...that's racist talk.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
I'm not asking to stick it to the rich, which I'm not and 90% of the country isn't either. Why not have them pay a little more so the class I'm in, middle class doen't have to pay more. I have no problem paying taxes. But when Mitt pays 14% on his capital gains taxes and I'm paying 24% out of my paycheck(money that I work hard for and he doesn't) then there is a problem.
I'll give you credit, at least you don't watch Fox news. Hey if you don't like Obama, that's your opinion and everyone is entittled to one, but how can we vote for a guy who believes in magic underwear, we are from the planet 'Kolog' ? That's the talk of a crazy person!
Oh yeah people in that party also believe that a women secretes a special enzyme that can kill sperm in a forced rape. They don't want an educated public, which is why instead of having teachers teach about sex ed, they want abstince. since when did not knowing about a topic, make someone prepared and knowledgeable. I know I'm starting to rant a little now, but that's what the other guy is going to do to this country. I've heard alot of people on here talking about losing their freedoms under Obama, I've just scratched the surface with what we'll loose under Romney.

V

VictoryDental

Reaction score
This is not an Obama issue. While I'm no fan of his, I am really tired of people using him for a punching bag because they are too ignorant to look into the History of the issue.

Did Obama not sign the "Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act into law? Yes, so to me that makes it an Obama issue

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
So Mitt will have everyone wearing "magic underwear"? Yet Im supposdly racist for talking about Islam.. What I hope Romney DOES do is bring about some religious tolerance so Americans arent so ignorant. Maybe his beliefs are strange to you, and maybe yours are to me.. But thats no reason to label someone crazy. MAYBE just maybe this president might uphold the constitution and keep Church and state seperate like hes supposed to.. Where does this religious intolerance come from? The only thing we should not tolerate is when someones religion teaches hate, murder, and acts of terror. Remember the whole planes flying into buildings thng??

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I was at a CE course Saturday with about 20 lab owners. More than half of them had no idea about this tax. I was the only lab in the room with FDA GMP's in place. The amazing thing is, several of these labs are multimillion dollar operations.

All politics aside, why are lab owners so poorly informed and aware of what is happening around them?

Top Bottom