New Compressor

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I doesn't freeze everywhere in the world. Where I am I would be concerned with the humidity levels.
Round here I would be concerned about the locals, more than humidity.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
That's exactly the unit Im looking at. Do you feel theres any issue with it cycling on and off? Ive been told that screw types are designed to constantly run. Whats your weather situation? That's in an unheated shed?
No issues so far been running straight for months now. The compressor runs to get filled up once filled up compressor idles. Then the compressor goes into idle mode and then we'll turn off after idling for a short time.

Just need to do the basic service every six months and the annual service and the compressor will run forever. Yes that is an unheated shed Summers about a hundred degrees Winters about 50 degrees no issues so far.

That compressor weigh so much it takes three people to move it plus we have ours bolted down to the concrete slab.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
That's exactly the unit Im looking at. Do you feel theres any issue with it cycling on and off? Ive been told that screw types are designed to constantly run. Whats your weather situation? That's in an unheated shed?

It's not so much that they are designed to run constantly but they are not meant to run like a regular piston compressor. That is why most of the fully packaged units have smaller tanks. Like sevan said, they run until they reach their preset pressure then kick over to idle. The head does not fully disengage until it kicks all the way to off. It is this last "fully off" action that causes extra wear on the system.

There is also an issue of condensation in the oil. The oil has to heat up enough so as to burn this condensation off. We are right at the line of using enough or not enough so the last time we had our unit serviced the guy told us about once a month we should crank open the some of the outlets and allow the compressor to run for like an hour. He said when he did the oil change there was more condensation in the oil than he would like to see.

It is all about the cycling. Any time you cycle something more you are going to create extra wear.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I was just contacted by a compressor manufacturer with a suggestion...
But first I want to make sure Im dealing in reality. On the VHF M-200, I have the regulator set between 7-7.5 bar. What is the cfm they consume?

user name

user name

Reaction score
...I know its very low. This guy is talking to me about a dental office specific compressor, only 53db, 100% clean dry air. Sounds interesting...maybe.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I've been running a Coaire 5hp oiless scroll for a couple of years. These things are made to run all day and are very quiet. I messed up and ordered the regular pressure model and needed the high pressure model. I'm running a constant 120psi and running a Wieland mini, Wieland select and Zubler press as well as regular air through the lab. No issues yet... I had a compressor guy come out and do some maintenance(which is really making sure the belt is tight) and he said these things are made to run forever. The technology is basically non destructive for the most part. I'm happy so far. It was close to five grand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I've been running a Coaire 5hp oiless scroll for a couple of years. These things are made to run all day and are very quiet. I messed up and ordered the regular pressure model and needed the high pressure model. I'm running a constant 120psi and running a Wieland mini, Wieland select and Zubler press as well as regular air through the lab. No issues yet... I had a compressor guy come out and do some maintenance(which is really making sure the belt is tight) and he said these things are made to run forever. The technology is basically non destructive for the most part. I'm happy so far. It was close to five grand.

You have 3 Phase in your lab?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I have it connected to a 50 gallon reserve tank. So far I can run both mills and press and normal lab activity at the same time. Of course I'm not that large.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I have it connected to a 50 gallon reserve tank. So far I can run both mills and press and normal lab activity at the same time. Of course I'm not that large.

Ive been curious if anyone was using a scroll. I know that screws are quiet and run a long time, but scroll is even quieter, at the sacrifice of some pressure. Id be interested to know more how you made the decision vs the other options.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Some of my decision was based on operational noise, some on price vs what I was getting. Scroll technology is really something. Especially these newer ones. I wanted something oiless that would last a long, long time. It builds pressure super fast too. It's a nice smaller form factor. Just a box.

http://www.coaire.com/products/csof-s_series_3-5_hp.html

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I also purchased an electric air dryer. About 600 bucks. It's piped in right beside my compressor. My air is dry as a bone. Clean too.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Please keep us informed on what you come up with.. sorta looking also.
...I know its very low. This guy is talking to me about a dental office specific compressor, only 53db, 100% clean dry air. Sounds interesting...maybe.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I ordered it off of compressor world. Best price I could find.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
... so true. My compressor is kept in a garage . It does not cycle long enough or hard enough to burn off excess moisture unless I just open the valve and let it run flat out for an hour. I change the oil monthly instead..
There is also an issue of condensation in the oil. The oil has to heat up enough so as to burn this condensation off. We are right at the line of using enough or not enough so the last time we had our unit serviced the guy told us about once a month we should crank open the some of the outlets and allow the compressor to run for like an hour. He said when he did the oil change there was more condensation in the oil than he would like to see.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Do you have to drain the compressor regularly?

I drain the tank about once every few months. I have the air dryer after the tank. There's very little moisture when I drain it. It is all kept in an air conditioned space though.

user name

user name

Reaction score
My understandings are that a piston type compressor like Im currently using heats the air a lot, so if it runs often, an after cooler is necessary. I have a 60gal tank, so it doesn't run often and has lots of time to drop to room temp. . Im using a Tsunami auto drain now that I love, but I don't think that would work on a screw or scroll. It gets a signal from the pressure drop on the unloader line and burps the tank every time the comp cycles. An auto timed drain would work, but Im getting the feeling that moisture condensation in a scroll or screw fed tank isn't as significant as in a piston set up..?

The Atlas Copco guy Im visiting with insists that their desiccant dryers recharge themselves and can provide a -40 dew point continuous even if running in a swamp. Im finding that difficult to believe, so the investigation continues.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
The Atlas Copco guy Im visiting with insists that their desiccant dryers recharge themselves and can provide a -40 dew point continuous even if running in a swamp. Im finding that difficult to believe, so the investigation continues.
Some sort of internal heat source to dry the desiccant?