Need Opinions on long & Short Cycle Sintering Ovens

T

tonester

Reaction score
I will be buying my first sintering oven and considering my options.

If you only have one oven, is it advantageous to buy one that has the ability for a quick (90 minute )cycle so you have the ability to rush copings? With a 90 minute I do know you can still program it to fire a longer cycle if needed for full contour. When I get to the point of owning two I was thinking of one of each???

Is the quality, technology, results, etc. any reason to consider one over the other?

I'm looking at a Glidewell long cycle oven and I'm looking at an Ivoclar quick cycle oven Programat S1 for $12,745. Glidewells is about half the price.

Any help appreciated including oven suggestions.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I will be buying my first sintering oven and considering my options.

I'm looking at a Glidewell long cycle oven and I'm looking at an Ivoclar quick cycle oven Programat S1 for $12,745. Glidewells is about half the price.

Any help appreciated including oven suggestions.

I have both, as well as a microwave. We only use the Glidewell one(s). Fast sintering cuts strength by as much as 20% and the quick sintering cycles are cloudy, opaque and sometimes warp.

Glidewell is all about speed and efficiency. Why don't THEY sell or advocate quick sintering furnaces?????

But their workhorse furnace and save time somewhere else.

E

e...w...h

Reaction score
I have both, as well as a microwave. We only use the Glidewell one(s). Fast sintering cuts strength by as much as 20% and the quick sintering cycles are cloudy, opaque and sometimes warp.

I'd love to see the studies conducted on this. We use Dakema, Vita and Duotron ovens and see no difference in appearance between Vita/Dakema long cycles versus Duotron short cycles. I'm skeptical about the strength difference, but if it's true... what does it really mean when you're at 1000+ megapascals? I'm not flaming you Mark, just curious.

T

tonester

Reaction score
Mark, thanks for the info. You always give good advice. Glidewll furnace is my top choice right now.

EWH
We use Dakema, Vita and Duotron ovens and see no difference in appearance between Vita/Dakema long cycles versus Duotron short cycles.

So, if you only had one furnace which would you buy?

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
We have the S1 and two of the everest therms, never even turn on the therm (slow sinter) unless we are doing a 6 unit or more. We do a bit of lab-lab and people want everything yesterday, the material we use is at 1150mpa so it still comes out at over 900. Had the S1 well over a year and really happy with it. If a job busts in the milling unit and you have 3 hours to get it out then this thing is a life saver.

E

e...w...h

Reaction score
Mark, thanks for the info. You always give good advice. Glidewll furnace is my top choice right now.

EWH
We use Dakema, Vita and Duotron ovens and see no difference in appearance between Vita/Dakema long cycles versus Duotron short cycles.

So, if you only had one furnace which would you buy?

Duotron. 2 to 15 hour cycles if you need them. Very nice oven that will go up to 1600deg if you need it.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Tonester,
Interesting thread! I have an old Lava Therm came with one preset program (for Lava) and no ability to add different sintering cycles. Works well but we can only use it for Lava. It is my understanding that 3M is coming out with an upgrade to the old Lava therm so we will have three additional programs that we can put in as needed. Not sure what the max ramp rate will be.
Obviously when purchasing equipment to have added versatility is a very good thing. Sintering cycles for today's materials may change as materials develop. There are a lot of companies working on zirconia formulas. I expect future materials will include a fast fire product. I don't think I would buy a sintering furnace that does not have a ramp rate of at least 70 deg. per min (even though I am not using it now). Check out the Dekema. 90 deg per min maximum ramp rate. Great user interface. Solid piece of equipment. It's available through Jensen.

b

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That control panel has been out for over a year.

I know a guy in Italy who installed one in his oven six months ago.

XD-1600BL Bottom Loading muffle furnace - Detailed info for XD-1600BL Bottom Loading muffle furnace,electric furnace,XD-1600BL Bottom Loading muffle furnace,XD-1600BL on Alibaba.com $4000 for a 6x6x6" auto lift. Fits 10x more than a new 3M oven. You can have the upper idling at whatever you want, and slowly or quickly raise the platform. Fully programable.

or

XD-1700M laboratory box furnace - Detailed info for XD-1700M laboratory box furnace,laboratory box furnace,XD-1700M laboratory box furnace,XD-1700M on Alibaba.com $3200 for a front door 6x6x6" unit.

They make smaller and cheaper units as well.

I have a smaller one like this and am buying a bottom lift furnace today.
Mini dental Furnaces - Detailed info for Mini dental Furnaces,dental furnace,Mini dental Furnaces,XD Mini furnace on Alibaba.com 4x4x6 or so.

Scott

Last edited: