NADL Digital Technician Certification

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Last week I got an invite for a survey being done by NADL in regards to a digital technician certification. This is something that was on my mind when I was studying for the CDT 3 years ago. I found myself studying textbooks, although sound and foundational, that had decades old materials and procedural steps. Knowing that a good/decent digital tech needs only a bare bones understanding of analog dental technology to make an acceptable design I found myself thinking. How exactly will a rapidly advancing dental industry adapt to making digital dental technician certification possible? Then there was this question asked.
In your opinion, should the new Digital Workflow Certification Program
be a CDT specialty or should it be a

stand-alone independent credential?
So I’m curious what is your opinion to the question above.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Yes, it's part of the work protocol. It will evolve as time goes on. I'll bet you didn't have to pack an open-faced acrylic crown for your CDT. It was a part of it at one time.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Is there a digital component of all CDT specialties now? When I got mine 13 years ago in C&B, it was obviously all analog. I feel like there should be history of Dental Tech just so you can have an idea of where we came from and you can learn the vocabulary and important oral anatomy, but I don't know how you earn any CDT specialty without a heavy emphasis on digital workflow.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
It should be standalone.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
do we really need another certification? another branch of a lobby group, and another set of fees to maintain it?
if yes, please explain how this additional certification will benefit me, my staff, our wallets, and the dental technology industry as a whole. especially since so many think we are going obsolete by in-office digital capabilities. will the Dr need or get that cert? will their staff? if its made mandatory for us techs in certain states, will it be mandatory for the practices as well?

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
If it provides a better outcome for the patient (generally) how can you be against it?

Different times- many of you were probably lucky to learn as the digital workflow was being introduced. Think of the ones that cannot learn on the fly or have access to various forms of technology.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Do we need it? No. These certifications don't teach you, they just mean you have the minimal knowledge.

Does it need to be separate? Yes.
1) Because they're not going to create it and not charge you for it.

2) With a lab large enough to embrace a digital workflow, you're going to need one dedicated person to go around from machine to machine, calibrating, problem solving, repairing, replacing, updating, and finding a shelf to place it on when it's an obsolete piece of junk that doesn't work anymore.

Your real technicians are going to be too busy putting the work through and aren't going to have time to get on the phone with tech support in the Philippines to find out why their new $100,000 mill is making lines, why the tab in CAD that was there has disappeared, and why the lcd under the print tray won't come on anymore.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Last week I got an invite for a survey being done by NADL in regards to a digital technician certification. This is something that was on my mind when I was studying for the CDT 3 years ago. I found myself studying textbooks, although sound and foundational, that had decades old materials and procedural steps. Knowing that a good/decent digital tech needs only a bare bones understanding of analog dental technology to make an acceptable design I found myself thinking. How exactly will a rapidly advancing dental industry adapt to making digital dental technician certification possible? Then there was this question asked.
In your opinion, should the new Digital Workflow Certification Program
be a CDT specialty or should it be a

stand-alone independent credential?
So I’m curious what is your opinion to the question above.
I don't think it should be a standalone, should be a CDT specialty. Although, by adding CDT specialties it does make it harder for those folks that aspire to become a Master CDT by adding another specialty to the list, therefore I'd cap the Master CDT at five specialties, therefore if you complete five CDT specialties and pass you should get the Master CDT designation...just my thoughts.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I think the digital specialties should be separated as an add on to the current specialties. Example... Analogue Complete Denture or Digital Complete Denture certification. I don't think digital should stand alone as a certification.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I don't think it should be a standalone, should be a CDT specialty. Although, by adding CDT specialties it does make it harder for those folks that aspire to become a Master CDT by adding another specialty to the list, therefore I'd cap the Master CDT at five specialties, therefore if you complete five CDT specialties and pass you should get the Master CDT designation...just my thoughts.
Is MCDT even a recognized thing by the NADL? I am pretty sure there is a MDT course at NYU? or someplace in the northeast, but it has nothing to do with the CDT. I think I am a good technician, and I would love to get my 5 CDTS, but what of the C+B practical is still done in labs today? I can full contour wax a bridge, cast, section and solder, but who would do that in 2022 when you can just design it better and quicker on the computer and mill it flawlessly and never need to section and solder. What percentage of labs do partial dentures traditionally with no CAD/CAM? These are antiquated exams. No Dr has ever asked me what I have my CDT in. Honestly even someone without their CDT or without it up to date could easily claim one. I doubt a Dr would ever ask for proof.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
NYU MDT is a separate, unrelated designation.

CDT is antiquated. Only recognized in states that have a requirement. And what good is it to require it in one state if clients can go next door. And what good is it to nationalize, if clients can go to Mexico, Vietnam, or China.

Dental Labs have been left up to the free market. If you're good you'll get work if you suck you go out of business..... Or wind up at the megalab.

Last edited:
M

mmbh

Reaction score
If people want or feel the need to get a bunch of certifications more power to them, I won't begrudge anyone wanting that. The problem I have is when some try to make it mandatory. We have enough to deal with these days. In the last 25 years not one doc has asked us about being CDT's.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I thought digital was just another tool?
Get back to the basics and certify the theory aspect of Dental Technology.

Frig if this keeps up Lab Guy will have to certify his milling machines.

Top Bottom