Multi unit abutment scan bodies (USA)

D

Drwillb

Reaction score
First time posting here, please be kind.

I'm a prosthodontist with a small in-house lab. We have a 3Shape premium suite of software and a D1000 scanner. The equipment has been in place for a little over a year and we're looking to expand our uses. Currently, we're designing all our implant abutments and single crowns then outsourcing for milling. Recent additional use is for milled PMMA splints but we've also been an AvaDent scan and design partner since we bought the equipment.

On to the actual question. We do a fair amount of All-on-4 cases and we want to design our own bars on multi-unit abutments now. I have spent way too much time on phone with tech support trying to find a scan body for multi unit abutments and no one seems to have one or even an answer as to why there isn't one. I am assuming that it is either the FDA or legal/patent issues that are creating the problem (go USA). I have ELOS MUA scan bodies from Nobel but they say that I cannot make a bar, only PIB designs, if I don't have a Procera scanner. I'm so glad I spent the $75 each after I told the Nobel rep exactly what I wanted to do.

So, how is it that every lab out there seems to be making hybrids on MUA if there are no abutment level scan bodies?

Thank you in advance,

Bill Molina

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Greetings Eathling! Welcome!

We're never mean, just sometimes sarcastic, or at most acerbic. You'll probably fit right in being a prosthodontist.

Well, I can't help you, was just saying hi. Some of the cad geniuses will be along soon.

Last edited:
D

Drwillb

Reaction score
Toothman, thanks for the heads up on DESS. Unfortunately, I already looked at them a couple of days ago and noted that their part is only good for 3Shape up to 2014. I'm running 2016.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Greetings Eathling! Welcome!

We're never mean, just sometimes sarcastic, or at most acerbic. You'll probably fit right in being a prosthodontist.

Well, I can't help you, was just saying hi. Some of the cad geniuses will be along soon.

Pretty sure that's the first time the word 'acerbic' has ever been used on DLN. Hmmmm2

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's the first time the word 'acerbic' has ever been used on DLN. Hmmmm2
:D

Edit: Would you prefer sharp witted smartalekery?

Last edited:
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Depends on the Implant Manufacturer. I design a few All On X cases a week on 3Shape. FYI, no one but Nobel is milling their implant bars and bridges. And setting up a 3Shape order for Nobel PIB MUA is a PIA. You actually select abutment, not Screw retained crown, as per Nobels instructions how to set up a PIB MUA. So no tissue for their cases. Anyway I am not going to get into a Nobel rant. But I can tell you that most of the manufacturers have cloned Nobles MUA connection. With the exception of the WP (6.0). So you can use a BioHorizons MUA Ti Base on Nobel. And others. And with BioHorizons, you can mill hyrbid bars and bridges in house. I would contact Vulcan Milling @ BioHorizons and ask for Kent or Boris, they will set you up so you are milling in house all your MUA bars and bridges.

D

Drwillb

Reaction score
Marcus, thanks for the lead but Vulcan/Biohorizons does not have MUA scan bodies available. They, like every other milling center and manufacturer I have spoken with, have yet to validate their parts with available scanners. Funny, that.

Boris said the best they can do is have me design a frame on 2-piece abutments for Zr bars and they will then look at my design and re-do it in their software to then mill.

Another dead end.

keith goldstein

keith goldstein

Reaction score
We work with all versions of 3shape so it will not matter. Also we are FDA approved now. Any questions call us at 855 3377872 or email us at [email protected]

Top Bottom