Most Efficient Digital workflow

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
Hi CAD/CAMers, we are expanding our milling capacity. Adding 2 milling machines and additional scanner. The primary goal is to integrate milled wax frames for pfm's, eMax and gold crowns. So, my question is.... What is a reasonable volume of units to scan and mill by noon or 1 oclock so they can be invested, cast or pressed? Cheers and thank you, Orr4

C

charles007

Reaction score
Bobby, ask this same question in 6 months, many will say to buy a mill to mill emax. Once that happens, and its finally happening now, I think another share of your pfms will dry up. In other words, I think labs will try to push milled emax over single unit pfms because of less production time..
Cheaper prices on blocks coming, just a matter of when.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
a reasonable number; well as long as you can mill a puck in each machine at once you can expect that it can be processed in a reasonable time. since you are milling wax for pressing and casting i would say at least a puck worth of units in each machine, i.e. if one puck holds 25 milled units (and lets be reasonable here more units than this can get dicey to mill) then you are looking at 3 x 25 units. save time and mill each one with its own casting sprue. extend that window another 30 mins.

however this is far from reasonable as a design parameter. this is too many units to scan and design for 1 person in 4 hrs. to do it efficiently you would need 3 people, 1 scanning, 1 designing and 1 nesting and milling. do it factory style, where each person hands the case to the next person as each step is completed before moving on to the next case.

but this means also your die trimmer and model workers need to follow the same methodology. if the die trimmers sit on a dozen dies as they wait to be trimmed, it holds up the line. if model workers pour lumps of impressions instead of 1 by 1 then the line is again held up.

but for it to work at its timeliest you need to cease giving rush cases and special favours. everyone gets the same allotted time. rush cases will just screw up the flow.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
a reasonable number; well as long as you can mill a puck in each machine at once you can expect that it can be processed in a reasonable time. since you are milling wax for pressing and casting i would say at least a puck worth of units in each machine, i.e. if one puck holds 25 milled units (and lets be reasonable here more units than this can get dicey to mill) then you are looking at 3 x 25 units. save time and mill each one with its own casting sprue. extend that window another 30 mins.

however this is far from reasonable as a design parameter. this is too many units to scan and design for 1 person in 4 hrs. to do it efficiently you would need 3 people, 1 scanning, 1 designing and 1 nesting and milling. do it factory style, where each person hands the case to the next person as each step is completed before moving on to the next case.

but this means also your die trimmer and model workers need to follow the same methodology. if the die trimmers sit on a dozen dies as they wait to be trimmed, it holds up the line. if model workers pour lumps of impressions instead of 1 by 1 then the line is again held up.

but for it to work at its timeliest you need to cease giving rush cases and special favours. everyone gets the same allotted time. rush cases will just screw up the flow.

"Gold, Jerry, Gold"... George Costanza

Thanks Luke, appreciate the insights!!! I'll work on it!!

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Great points by CHL. I also think you have to consider your lab capacity,,,,, the number of units based on the # of employees. Consider the your overhead etc, cost of doing business, cost per unit etc, What is you break even point,,,,per day ($)? What profit margin are you expecting beyond break even; this will help determine you need to produce. Your goal should be to accomplish safely,,,,and with minimum waste ie: remakes end cost of materials and time.

But please don't take this from me ,,,I stayed at the Ramada, last night.