More on Mice

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
I am just getting started in CAD and have been enjoying my 3Shape 2014 software. One thing I noticed straight on was that a conventional mouse just doesn't cut it! I want to upgrade to something that is more comfortable and has functionality geared to an app like this. No need to get crazy yet... but can you all give me some suggestions on what mice you think would be appropriate be fun to have? Any explanations with your choices will be helpful.
Thanks so much!

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
I use a 3Dconnex mouse with my left hand and regular mouse with my right. A little hard to get used to,but now it's second nature.

Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adigitalsmile

Adigitalsmile

Reaction score
I use a 3Dconnex mouse with my left hand and regular mouse with my right. A little hard to get used to,but now it's second nature.

Pete

With using the 3D mouse did you buy the laptop version or the full functioning with the hotkeys around programmable for keyboard buttons that you typically use?

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
Full function

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
A standard mouse in the right hand and a 3D mouse in the left i prefer to use the 3D connexion space mouse pro

http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacemousepro.html

I have all the needed functions setup on it.

**** key, ctrl key, the fit ket is set up for the antagonist, enter key is programmed in there and all my preset wax knife keys makes working in the design end so much easier once get used to to the key layout.

I have a regular space mouse for sale it has two buttons. one on each side of the mouse. Look in the for sale forum.

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score

Pete

Thanks Pete. Sounds like a great set-up and I'm OK with my left hand... Hopefully. I checked out the 3dconnexion website. It's impressive but possibly more than I can wrap my head around right away. I still have to learn the software, which I am enjoying but a 2nd mouse at this point might lengthen the learning curve even more. How long before you added the 3D mouse when you began designing?

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
A standard mouse in the right hand and a 3D mouse in the left i prefer to use the 3D connexion space mouse pro

http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacemousepro.html

I have all the needed functions setup on it.

**** key, ctrl key, the fit ket is set up for the antagonist, enter key is programmed in there and all my preset wax knife keys makes working in the design end so much easier once get used to to the key layout.

Thanks Sevan P.
Like my reply to Pete above... My main concern is a 2nd mouse may be adding to the learning curve of getting used to the software. Although, the SpaceMouse Pro looks very intriguing! At what point in your design career did you go to 2 mice and do you think its better to start right from the beginning, like me?
Edward

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
When I switched from cercon and cerec to Exocad I forced myself to learn using a 3d mouse. 3dconnexion has a short training exercise that will get you going. After that your off and running. As you get used to the mouse and it becomes nature throw in some macros and you'll wonder how people design without it. Just when you think it couldn't get any better someone will bring up touch screens!

Pete

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Thanks Sevan P.
Like my reply to Pete above... My main concern is a 2nd mouse may be adding to the learning curve of getting used to the software. Although, the SpaceMouse Pro looks very intriguing! At what point in your design career did you go to 2 mice and do you think its better to start right from the beginning, like me?
Edward

I bought my space navigator about 2 months in and never looked back! Yes it is best to learn it earlier then later. I sometimes switch between the keyboard and 3D mouse just to keep things real. LOL

Posted from a Galaxy S4.

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
When I switched from cercon and cerec to Exocad I forced myself to learn using a 3d mouse. 3dconnexion has a short training exercise that will get you going. After that your off and running. As you get used to the mouse and it becomes nature throw in some macros and you'll wonder how people design without it. Just when you think it couldn't get any better someone will bring up touch screens!

Pete

Thanks Pete,
This sounds more like what I'm looking for. I am interested in ease of use and increasing the design capabilities in an enjoyable fashion, rather than a tool for just speed and production.
Edward

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
I bought my space navigator about 2 months in and never looked back! Yes it is best to learn it earlier then later. I sometimes switch between the keyboard and 3D mouse just to keep things real. LOL

Posted from a Galaxy S4.

Thanks Sevan P. for the advice. I'm happy to hear you good experience. Sounds like you're having a good time!

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
Thanks to all for responding.
This is beginning to look like a better mouse is actually using two mice rather than one.
Is this typical for the techs who are looking for more ease of control and object manipulation or just a method of staying off the keyboard? Here are a couple of potentially odd questions.
If you are right handed, why do you use your left hand for the 3D mouse that is doing the detail work? And...
What mouse would you want if you only had one hand available?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The detail work is left for the regular mouse...the space mouse would only rotate/zoom/pan the object plus shortcuts... you can work twice as fast :D
I got a trackball instead of the mouse...makes things even more ergonomic for me..:)

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
The detail work is left for the regular mouse...the space mouse would only rotate/zoom/pan the object plus shortcuts... you can work twice as fast :D
I got a trackball instead of the mouse...makes things even more ergonomic for me..:)

I understand now... makes good sense! Thanks for the tip. I am looking forward to getting started with this. Now I get to go out and spend four or five hundred for a pair of mice! Thank you!

Tero

Tero

Reaction score
We use Wacom Bamboo pen.
This is very helpfull while drawing marging, removables, splints, and basicly everything.

You need to try this one.
Left hand for the 3D mouse and right for the pen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 30
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i have been wanting to get a cintiq, and i keep meaning to save some money to get one, but its already too easy to make stuff with a 2 button mouse (and i keep eating my savings).

maybe one day.

D

dentek1

Reaction score
I just bought the connexion space navigator 3d mouse and am trying to use it with exocad. In the test program sent with the mouse it works fine but doesn't work in exocad! My reseller is no help as no one there uses it. So i turn to you guys for help. Is there a setting in exo that I am missing?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Mine worked right away with Exo....under the settings there's a box to be checked to be enabled. ..I believe. ..

H

Hunter Scott

Reaction score
I've used the 3Dconnexion one others have mentioned and it's great. It's awesome for Google Earth too!

Top Bottom