Model Work Time Breakdown

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I had a time breakdown for C&B model work per step but it has escaped into the place where old hard drives go. Does anyone have this and be willing to share? What percentage would most think the model work would be of total labor costs on a CAD/CAM crown?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
$0 because I don't do models for single crowns.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I had a time breakdown for C&B model work per step but it has escaped into the place where old hard drives go. Does anyone have this and be willing to share? What percentage would most think the model work would be of total labor costs on a CAD/CAM crown?
When I worked as a model tech in C+B we charged $200/unit and he said models were worth $15. Everything was pinned and based, so it was nice model work not accutrac or the like.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Thanks JKraver.

Using a third of the selling price for direct labor that would make model work 22% of direct labor costs.

Their direct labor costs must have been a much bigger percentage of the selling price.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
15 Models, 5 Wax up, 5 pressed blasted, 35 porcelain glazed out the door

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
<pre>
I've been doing this 8 years and designed my workspace and put indicators and methods that work for me, so adjust accordingly.
(i.e.:pans needing softisse model are pulled out slightly from those having one)

Including cleaning of bowls, spatulas, vibrator, etc.
On Artimax it takes me:
Breakout of impression and separate working from articulator
Quad Walless:

POURING:
Modern Materials' Buff Labstone Opposing:
6 minutes for mix & pour 6-8 models depending on ambient temp(affects water temp by heating supply lines-colder=longer working time)
1 minute Clean excess from buccal, lingual, and mesial with stone now in stiff plasticine state starting w/ 1st model poured to last
Wait...
Using Begostone
20 sec per model to select pin positions, seat, release, reat (for 2 - 4 pins - the majority of what we got).
8 minutes to mix (including 1 minute in vaccum mixer) and pour 4 - 6 models (ambient temp/water temp again) (I also vibrate the stone onto the pins to prevent bubbles around them)
Excess cleaning is included in the 8 minutes.

wait...

TRIMMING
15-35 sec per model for breakout of impression and separate working model from articulator
5 sec to trim lingual flat on 10inch carobundum wheel(new wheel) wet trimmer
5 sec rinse
15 sec to trim distal buccal mesial in 1 arc

double time for dull/old wheel

SAWING
20 sec per saw path on working model
10 sec to saw off distal of opposing if needed
5 sec to glue (1 drop of super glue) in pin-stop if no tooth distal to prep in contact w/ opposing
5 sec per saw path to brush off dust
20 sec per model to write pt ID and mark pin hole w/ sharpie

If properly cleaned during pouring no handpiece trimming of opposing is needed normally unless you just want to make it extra pretty

SOFTISSUE MODELSusing Velmix Classic

Paint on separator(isolit) ~5 sec per impression
apply softissue 5 sec to 10 sec per impression
pouring: ~ 20 models in 8 minutes

wait...

10 sec per model to separate from impression
20-40 sec per model to trim on model trimmer
5 sec rinse
10 sec per model to write pt ID - in pencil on bottom( "bone side")
5 sec per model to put in proper work pan

whew! That be a lot of typing

Top Bottom