Lucitone curing

T

tomasball

Reaction score
I noticed that Lucitone 199 now recommends that you boil at the end of the curing cycle, whether you have cured it for 1 1/2 hours or 9 hours. Excuse a stupid question, but what advantage is there to curing for 9 hours?

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
I'd guess they're trying to ensure minimum residual monomer. Has the company been subject to lawsuits over this issue?

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
Araucaria is correct, even Ivocap has changed their instructions to cure out residual monomer.

T

tomasball

Reaction score
Well, my question is...if you have to boil either way, what's the advantage of leaving it for 9 hours?

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
My guess would be dimensional stability, and possibly color stability.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
When I was first starting out I was taught to cure for 9 hours and to only quick cure (1 1/2hr 30min. boil) when I had to. Was told that you got a more stable acrylic with the longer cure. That quick curing made the acrylic less color stable, more brittle, and increased the chances of porosity. Now just so you know, thats what I was told 10 years ago by the techs that were training me, that was probably told that by the tech. that trained him, who was told that by the tech that trained him, who was told that by a guy that made it up... :p

Now what do I think after 10 years? Dont think it makes much difference. I will say its seems to me the acrylic feels slightly different when you grind on it from one method to the other. Other then that haven't really seen much difference, though I dont quick cure many dentures as our routine here is to flask and pack in the evenings. Let'em cure overnight for 9 hours and when the finisher gets there the next morning he's all ready to go....

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
If you read the old instructions, it designated the 9 hour cure as the alternate cure.

I was told by my rep that the ADA 'suggested' the change to remove free monomer.

Dentsply will give you a gallon of 'free monomer' when you buy 25lbs. So, I'm guessing that's the only one you have to boil.;)

D

department19972

Reaction score
How has the Ivocap instructions changed regarding RMR?

Are most on this forum still press packing vs. injecting? If so, is there a substantial reason? Just curious.

Araucaria is correct, even Ivocap has changed their instructions to cure out residual monomer.

Last edited:
Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
35 min is for minimum cure, 90 min achieves less than 2% residual monomer.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score

Would you please explain how Ivocap has changed their instructions to cure out residual monomer. Maybe I am missing something here.

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
Would you please explain how Ivocap has changed their instructions to cure out residual monomer. Maybe I am missing something here.

Point 15 (page 4) of the new instruction booklet which is included with every new case of capsules. Maybe you threw it out?