Labs disappearing, ours

R

Rugardave

Reaction score
We only have a few accts. left and the largest one told us they were not going digital. Well Jan. 1 they bought the Trios system and started sending to another lab. This after 20 yrs. Thx. I've been doing this lab stuff for 42 yrs. seen a lot changes so now what? Upgrade and have some old geezer walk into a new office and try to pick up work or ride into the sunset with no saddle. At the fork, I guess I could always be a greeter.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I feel for you dave but if you've seen a lot of changes,how could you not have seen this one?

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Can you tell us where you are based and maybe there are some on the forum who
can send you work?
Maybe pictures of what you do normally for your clients?
LCM

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what would you say if there was an online place where people who are digital manufacturers who get work needing analog tech, could collaborate with you to send those cases your way instead of them trying to be multi-specialization?

so for example, say theres a guy who has a milling machine but gets cases for a lot of pfm work from a certain doc. i cant pretend do know you would specialize in that but lets assume for the sake of example you do. would you be willing to sign up to a digital site to work with other people who have this kind of work, to take those cases off their hands as subcontract work at a moderate price reduction?

so both of you can stay in business.

you get work, they get to tack on modest profit and you both retire.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Maybe Travis can set up just a network for this?
Be careful not to run afoul of the FTC ! :)
LCM

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yeah but what im considering is something a lot more local.

theres tons of labs and milling centers in every city in the US and Canada. connecting local mom and pop shops with local digitals would be a lot easier on the logistics than shipping singles from alaska to newfoundland.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Hence we need to know the ballpark whereabouts of our friend.
Thanks, CHL
LCM

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We change the flooring,paint the walls, and relandscape our homes as they become outdated.
Why should our labs remain the same.
anigif_enhanced-31644-1449000871-3.gif

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
We only have a few accts. left and the largest one told us they were not going digital. Well Jan. 1 they bought the Trios system and started sending to another lab. This after 20 yrs. Thx. I've been doing this lab stuff for 42 yrs. seen a lot changes so now what? Upgrade and have some old geezer walk into a new office and try to pick up work or ride into the sunset with no saddle. At the fork, I guess I could always be a greeter.

Maybe you could try the 3Shape E1 scanner option and possibly get that account back. Check with Argen on the details. I believe they even do the designing for you. That would be about the cheapest way to get into the 3Shape world. Just a thought.

Monkey w/ a tourch

Monkey w/ a tourch

Reaction score
what would you say if there was an online place where people who are digital manufacturers who get work needing analog tech, could collaborate with you to send those cases your way instead of them trying to be multi-specialization?

so for example, say theres a guy who has a milling machine but gets cases for a lot of pfm work from a certain doc. i cant pretend do know you would specialize in that but lets assume for the sake of example you do. would you be willing to sign up to a digital site to work with other people who have this kind of work, to take those cases off their hands as subcontract work at a moderate price reduction?

so both of you can stay in business.

you get work, they get to tack on modest profit and you both retire.

I like it but, wouldn't one already have an analog guy in house if they were getting pfm work from a doc?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
@rkm rdt lol what is that? our Trios' have been doing great.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
there will no doubt be labs looking to keep and hoarde their work, sure. but for someone who wanted to specialize in digital manufacturing, or might be new to being a lab and doesnt have that analogue help...

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Ouch Dave,
First comes tough love...where you been hiding? Some of us been here almost ten years and documented our digital journey right here on this website. Heck, I remember when most of these members went out on a limb and got their first scanner, first milling machine, etc... You're wondering about the saddle, and I'm curious if the horse hasn't already left the stable without you brother. Seriously, you need to have a 'meet the Jesus' meeting with yourself and ask yourself if you even want to pursue this any further, does the old dog want to be taught new tricks?
I'm going to assume you finally realize your back is up against the wall, you don't have much choice at this point to not do anything because the ship is definitely taking on water and you're about to ring the bell to abandon ship. Now lets say you've had that 'meeting' and said, alright, I'm going to fight tooth and nail for my lab. Teach this old dog some new tricks right now folks!!! Being digital isn't going to save your six at this point, take a look around brother, most labs that are still in business are digital labs. Therefore, do you have yourself a niche? Do you do something better than anybody out there?...I doubt it, because if so, you probably wouldn't be here. So the real question comes down to what do you do now?????
Obviously, you need to get up to speed digitally (whether that's just get a scanner, find a local lab buddy who does digital that you can learn from, Luke mentioned Argens new lease program, tons of options out there). Then how do you get the work...you still need the work. Whens the last time you went to a dental study group, a dentist meeting, or went out and beat on their doors and introduced yourself? Do you even have a sales pamphlet, with what services you offer, what you can offer to a new Dentist? If you REALLY want to bounce back man, we will help you along the way. Most of us here are seeing the best March in our lifetime. And we haven't even scratched the surface on the marketing and sales strategy that we all share amongst ourselves, and the digital knowledge passed back and forth. I truly think if you flipped the script per say, and gave 110% to change your lab right here, right now, today....you absolutely could, and it's a great time to do it. You have to think like that too, you have to walk into your lab tomorrow morning like it's the first day of your lab, it's brand new, everything you do is going to be different. But it begs the question, after 42 years, are you even willing to make this radical change?

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
It's true ,us old Lab guys are great at dealing with the public :D
download.jpg

R

Rugardave

Reaction score
Ouch Dave,
First comes tough love...where you been hiding? Some of us been here almost ten years and documented our digital journey right here on this website. Heck, I remember when most of these members went out on a limb and got their first scanner, first milling machine, etc... You're wondering about the saddle, and I'm curious if the horse hasn't already left the stable without you brother. Seriously, you need to have a 'meet the Jesus' meeting with yourself and ask yourself if you even want to pursue this any further, does the old dog want to be taught new tricks?
I'm going to assume you finally realize your back is up against the wall, you don't have much choice at this point to not do anything because the ship is definitely taking on water and you're about to ring the bell to abandon ship. Now lets say you've had that 'meeting' and said, alright, I'm going to fight tooth and nail for my lab. Teach this old dog some new tricks right now folks!!! Being digital isn't going to save your six at this point, take a look around brother, most labs that are still in business are digital labs. Therefore, do you have yourself a niche? Do you do something better than anybody out there?...I doubt it, because if so, you probably wouldn't be here. So the real question comes down to what do you do now?????
Obviously, you need to get up to speed digitally (whether that's just get a scanner, find a local lab buddy who does digital that you can learn from, Luke mentioned Argens new lease program, tons of options out there). Then how do you get the work...you still need the work. Whens the last time you went to a dental study group, a dentist meeting, or went out and beat on their doors and introduced yourself? Do you even have a sales pamphlet, with what services you offer, what you can offer to a new Dentist? If you REALLY want to bounce back man, we will help you along the way. Most of us here are seeing the best March in our lifetime. And we haven't even scratched the surface on the marketing and sales strategy that we all share amongst ourselves, and the digital knowledge passed back and forth. I truly think if you flipped the script per say, and gave 110% to change your lab right here, right now, today....you absolutely could, and it's a great time to do it. You have to think like that too, you have to walk into your lab tomorrow morning like it's the first day of your lab, it's brand new, everything you do is going to be different. But it begs the question, after 42 years, are you even willing to make this radical change?
Thx,Guy. Yes I know, I have kept up with the new tech. I work with one other guy and over the last several years we had meetings with all the accts. None of them wished to get into the digital age. Some older and some younger. we helped many young GP's figure out how to do dentistry from the lab standpoint, cord, imps., adjustments and all the other stuff that goes on. One guy that used to work for us does all the scanning for one the labs in their 16 lab chain. We keep in touch and he fills me in on what's going on. They have all the latest mills and one big Haas. We did use them for a couple of cases. I'm still thinking about this. Thx again. Rugar

R

Rugardave

Reaction score
Maybe you could try the 3Shape E1 scanner option and possibly get that account back. Check with Argen on the details. I believe they even do the designing for you. That would be about the cheapest way to get into the 3Shape world. Just a thought.
I'll check it out as we are open all options. I know Zahn has some specials also. Thx

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Dave just because your clients are not going digital does not mean you do not go digital. Digital dentist and digital lab are not one in the same. We started going digital in 2000 long before anyone and especially us realized where it would take us. Going digital in the lab means being able to be more productive and be able to offer your clients a wider range of products. There are many options for you to consider. Starting with getting a scanner. That allows you to accept scans from your clients that are going digital and allows you the ability to design or source out your designing and source out your milling needs till you gain confidence and build volume to justify bringing it all in house. If your not going digital your dying.

R

Rugardave

Reaction score
Dave just because your clients are not going digital does not mean you do not go digital. Digital dentist and digital lab are not one in the same. We started going digital in 2000 long before anyone and especially us realized where it would take us. Going digital in the lab means being able to be more productive and be able to offer your clients a wider range of products. There are many options for you to consider. Starting with getting a scanner. That allows you to accept scans from your clients that are going digital and allows you the ability to design or source out your designing and source out your milling needs till you gain confidence and build volume to justify bringing it all in house. If your not going digital your dying.
Thx,rlhhds. I know you're right. We have talked about this day for 2 or 3 years. Just never thought it would happed to us after talking to all of our accts. and they assured us they weren't going in that direction. I've known some of the Drs. for over 30 years or thought I knew them. Oh well, we did see several big accts go with the ceric machines and it was lost work and everyone of them said the units, contour, anatomy etc., sucked. That should be capital letters. But I guess the dollar won out. Maybe they didn't know how to scan. They got the units to work and if they lost patients who knows, in their minds they're saving money. These were big practices. We will get a scanner soon and I'll keep everyone posted. The horse left but he came back