Industry dying!

N

Nate

Reaction score
It's more than evident where dental technology is going. 7 or 8 years ago we could question this.
Jeffrey, yes there is pricing pressure and many have and are investing in the solution, CAD CAM. We looked at our lab and determined it took 2.5 hours labor for us to produce a PFM using an analog workflow. Today it's very easy to produce a crown that docs are prescribing using just 20-25 minutes of labor. Historically labor in all labs biggest expense. Reducing labor per crown by 85% would obviously enable lab owners to reduce fees and maintain a solid bottom line. The problem with the labs that are struggling is they have not embraced the now very commonplace 25 minute solution. Today, dental technology is more about technology than ever before.
I have a son, 32 and doing well on his own. I wish he would have come in with me. I believe our future is bright.

N

Nate

Reaction score
When was the last time a young American wanted to be a dental tech, at 58 i am the youth of the industry.

Jeffrey, I think your right to say that you are the youth of this industry. however the industry is just moving in a different direction then guys your age are used to. Im 24 and have grown up in a dental lab that my dad has owned going on 40 years now. I have learned this trade form veterans like you and have a lot of respect for the knowledge you guys bring to the table. There will be no youth in this industry if there are no willing seasond techs to teach the fundamentls. Computers are drastically changing the way labs conduct bussiness but in my opinion will never 100% replace a dental technician. The art is not dying, its just changing.

RockyMark

RockyMark

Reaction score
I work as a Dental lab technicians in the laboratory. I love this business. We perform one of the main functions of a dentist's office. We take the molds of teeth that dentists get from patients & use them to create accurate models of those teeth. Now a day, we have a huge demand for work.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
wow...way to resurrect a dead thread.

on that note...@ 27 I'm done...quitting this... there's no growth opportunity in this industry, and I can see myself stuck in the same position now 10 years from now. Sad.

PEACE

RockyMark

RockyMark

Reaction score
Thanks for suggestion but I am still enter in this field.

on that note...@ 27 I'm done...quitting this... there's no growth opportunity in this industry, and I can see myself stuck in the same position now 10 years from now. Sad.

PEACE

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score

PEACE
not sure how you mean - i started being a problem solver in a lab at 23. i'm 30 now and am head of CADCAM. soon i will be taking commissions on sales. in 10 years i might own the place.

if you are starting at Lab Owner or starting at Lab Manager then no i expect there isnt much room to grow for you except to adapt to new tech.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
not sure how you mean - i started being a problem solver in a lab at 23. i'm 30 now and am head of CADCAM. soon i will be taking commissions on sales. in 10 years i might own the place.

if you are starting at Lab Owner or starting at Lab Manager then no i expect there isnt much room to grow for you except to adapt to new tech.

out of curiosity, what makes you think you have a shot at owner? (unless there is no one down the line in the family to take it).

for me, short of being a partner/owner...i dont have any "promotions" in terms of title... but there is more on my plate everyday...

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score

PEACE
Sorry to hear that, it's someone like you that many labs are looking for me included.

Pete

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, it's someone like you that many labs are looking for me included.

Pete

Thanks, I really appreciate that. But with limited job opportunities in my area, and the insane cost of living... i really don't know if I can continue to pursue this. Don't get me wrong, I love the lab environment...and the dental lab world, it's so interesting... what other market has a custom 1 off for every unit! (in mass quantities too)

I always wonder to myself if I should do what marcus did and look for a group practice...but it's just not exciting... running a 100 man lab is exciting...frustrating, yes, but exciting! :(

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
out of curiosity, what makes you think you have a shot at owner? (unless there is no one down the line in the family to take it).

for me, short of being a partner/owner...i dont have any "promotions" in terms of title... but there is more on my plate everyday...
in 10 years it is expected that some of the current staff will have retired, including head of sales, and all i need to do is maintain some longevity and i will promote up. it definitely wont be 10 years till i own a lab, i won't be doing that but if i was so inclined i would be starting now to accumulate capital and acquire friendships with dentists.

call me crazy but i actually like being here. this is the most fun i have ever had working at a lab.

but if you must go then i wish you well, friend.

T

TomMor

Reaction score
My concern for the future is in-office milling. I always felt the bread and butter cases were single units and small bridges. I think techs will end up with the more complicated and time consuming cases. I just hope we can get the fees that those cases require. In other words we willbe doing the crap that dentists either can't or dont want to do.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
My concern for the future is in-office milling. I always felt the bread and butter cases were single units and small bridges. I think techs will end up with the more complicated and time consuming cases. I just hope we can get the fees that those cases require. In other words we willbe doing the crap that dentists either can't or dont want to do.

a true busy dentist doesn't have the time to handle the crap a lab handles.... but as we inch closer towards easier / cheaper machinery though...i see techs going rogue and relying on a group practice...

but that's not sustainable imo

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
The facts are dentistry's need for lab products is being met. When there is a need in the marketplace and it can be met profitably it will be met. The old paradigm does not seem to be the answer to filling the need. Change or parish.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
The facts are dentistry's need for lab products is being met. When there is a need in the marketplace and it can be met profitably it will be met. The old paradigm does not seem to be the answer to filling the need. Change or parish.
Perish

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
For the new guys that are coming to the business for 1 man lab its important to do every thing that means to be a dental tech. not a ceramist or metal frame work or dentures only you have to do all of the above and for less.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Hary if you try to do both removable & Fixed you will do both average and get less than average price. You will also spend way to much on equipment as equipment will not compliment like in old days. Best to specialize, and to know when to outsource. One neds to know their strengths & weaknesses.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Hary if you try to do both removable & Fixed you will do both average and get less than average price. You will also spend way to much on equipment as equipment will not compliment like in old days. Best to specialize, and to know when to outsource. One neds to know their strengths & weaknesses.
i agree, and will add that some of us are looking to add the other portion too. i do c/b (and well IMHO),and adding a tech that does removables well is the plan. it creates a well rounded full service lab as long as the two dont butt heads too much. lol

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
separate Fixed and Removable and get really good on one of two...

only exception are implant retained dentures

Hary

Hary

Reaction score

You have a point but I realized that when the market is down ( recession ) I had more dentures and partiels and when the market picked up the crowns started coming in. and regarding for the equipment I started slowly with used ones once the business started to pick up I purchased newer equipment.

Top Bottom