Industry dying!

ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
I am 44, long way to go,but I am vary optimistic about future of dental tech's. Less popular this profession has become more demand will be and no machine will totally substitute humans and especially good technician. I was very concern about it for some time,but not anymore.So, let everyone to be doctors,dentists or lawyers, more market share for us.

Last edited:
Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
im 30, doing 3shape cad since release in 2007. you think i can get a job in Eastern suburbs of Toronto ? from here to Ottawa theres nothing for a Digital tech like me; only rock banging oldboys but even then its an incestuous club of people. since March the only people to even return a call for a potential job has been one installer of Dentists offices and equipment; by far not labwork nor cad work.

i could start my own design center but to what end? if the labs don't want to hire, they dont want to outsource either, especially not to someone they wouldnt hire. i may start a thing but i wouldn't get any work.

the only shot i have at a future is to get out of Ontario. that's just not happening.

so i'm officially saying here my goodbyes. i'm choosing a new career. anyone who wishes to further keep in touch may do so via email at mistergodfrey . @ , gmail.com
It is sad to see you go, but i am sure that you'r going to a greener pastures. I wish you the best.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
im 30, doing 3shape cad since release in 2007. you think i can get a job in Eastern suburbs of Toronto ? from here to Ottawa theres nothing for a Digital tech like me; only rock banging oldboys but even then its an incestuous club of people. since March the only people to even return a call for a potential job has been one installer of Dentists offices and equipment; by far not labwork nor cad work.

i could start my own design center but to what end? if the labs don't want to hire, they dont want to outsource either, especially not to someone they wouldnt hire. i may start a thing but i wouldn't get any work.

the only shot i have at a future is to get out of Ontario. that's just not happening.

so i'm officially saying here my goodbyes. i'm choosing a new career. anyone who wishes to further keep in touch may do so via email at mistergodfrey . @ , gmail.com

Are you really leaving us? I will miss reading your posts. Good luck with whatever you end up doing. It's tough being in this business.

M

martintay

Reaction score
CoolHandLuke , I`m shocked !! But wish you a great future :)

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I am 44, long way to go,but I am wary optimistic about future of dental tech's. Less popular this profession has become more demand will be and no machine will totally substitute humans and especially good technician. I was very concern about it for some time,but not anymore.So, let everyone to be doctors,dentists or lawers, more market share for us.
I thought you were against Digital Dentistry ( CAD/CAM)!. How are you going to compete?.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I'm 37, for the time being not worried too much of this industry' s future. Its all about where do you want to stand product and service wise... We cannot compete with them big guys price wise, in contrast they cannot match our quality and cannot keep a personal relationship with their clients...so our focus on that clientele who doesn't mind paying a bit more for a personalized service ( therefore they're not just a number on the Rx when they call in for something )... We're trying to be cutting edge and embrace new technologies to differentiate ourselves form other small labs who could offer the same quality and service what we can... Keeping our overhead minimal is also important...so we don't have to worry about slower months. A few years ago downsized from 9 techs to 4 +2 (part time) and moved to a smaller office... got a few moonlighters as well (on call) if we're getting swamped with work...

Last edited:
ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score

do you know how to do porcelain? Maybe you need to make some changes in your career,diversify so do speak if you like to be tech. I am personally can do many things, 3Shape,porcelain,wax/metal, temps,diagnostic wax-ups all kinds of composites ,Emax [my favorite],even been plummer and welder.
Good luck,tough it up and be an optimist CoolHandLuke!
Ed

Last edited:
A

AL1

Reaction score
Eventually cad cam will be replaced, a few years ago I read an article where the Canadians figured out a way to plant tooth buds
and grow new teeth.
I know your sceptical but a lot of techs where sceptical of cad cam.
Remember when Richard Tracy watches where sci fi, now you can actually buy one.
Had to call it Richard it edited out his nick name.

Last edited:
ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
I was lucky my kids want/wanted no part of it :)

I had 3 old friends come and visit my lab this month out of the blue. Each were/are techs and at one time ran their own labs locally. 2 out of the three hung it up in the last 6 months and the one survivor is looking for a job. I feel very fortunate that I diversified with technology and hit the implant market hard when I saw the writing on the wall a several years back. Continuing down the analog route with average skills is a death sentence and these 3 guys were awesome techs but they just can't not compete in this world today. Its sad but they choose their path, often times I regret not taking bigger risks earlier in my career but who knows where that would have lead me.

While the stress is always going to be there I still enjoy what I do and feel very blessed that I stumbled into this industry.
Hi John, that is may apply to small lab owners who did not buy and do digital staff,but been small bug technician like me and working for lab,knowing cad/cam is not enough to make some dough and pay bills especially for techs like me in 40's,no lab willing to pay good salary for cad/cam tech,I mean good salary in California! How much do you pay your employees 10,15,20 per hour? I rather do something else for this money. In my lab I have to be allover and work like horse and good one.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
I am fifty three and been in the business 34 years. We charge proper prices for our work, my technicians get paid well and we are able to buy the best equipment and cad and cam systems on the market. We work 8 hour days, never on weekends unless a tech wants to. Why is everyone killing each other on price (never understood that). Offer your clients the best possible service, product and support and they will pay you properly for your restorations. Knowledge and know how are a valuable commodity for dentists, and believe me, MOST, dentists respect this and our profession. Don't sell yourselves out to the bottom feeders...

CoolHand, did not know you were from the Toronto area, I will be in touch.

Cheers

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Eventually cad cam will be replaced, a few years ago I read an article where the Canadians figured out a way to plant tooth buds
and grow new teeth.
I know your sceptical but a lot of techs where sceptical of cad cam.
Remeber when **** Tracy watches where sci fi, now you can actually buy one.

Al, Those teeth are wrong shape and color. LOL
That will never replace anything we do.
Maybe would replace an Implant made by manufacture and placed by Doc. That's all. No threat to us.
Implant companys are the only ones who should feel threatened by that technology.
That technology will still need a crown or bridge placed. No way around it.
Probably will be more expensive than an implant anyways. I say, forget that noise and think about something else more in touch with reality.

My employees get $60k-70k+ for CAD/CAM positions. (Equivilant of $100k in Cali. I assume?)

No proper Dental training needed. I do not hire traditional Dental Techs.

They want too much money for what they are worth, and do not have the real skills/knowledge I need from an employee.

Thirty years experience playing with bunsen burners and knives does not = good pay job anymore.

A

AL1

Reaction score
They may not be feasible today but when they figure out how to plant a tooth bud in the future, it will affect the profession.
Only a matter of time.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
My retirement plan and investments should mature to the point of a very comfortable lifestyle in ten years IF I don't blow it all on technology chasing the dream over the next 10 :)

In the past guys working analog and putting out fine product had a very big advantage over the cost cutting labs. The cost cutting lab could never compete on quality and never really offered anything but a price that a rather large segment of this industry went after.

Fast forward today, labs utilizing technology can and do offer products that your clients want. They are doing it at a level that many old school guys just do not want to acknowledge. The largest segment of our client base wants 3 things,

1) A product that matches hue
2) A restoration that minimizes adjustment both contacts and occlusion
3) A restoration that is economical

In the past it took quite a bit of time to develop checks and balances to maintain that by hand. With the computer and a mill the playing field is now leveled and we must find away again to offer more than the price cutters. Digital is just another tool guys we say that over and over it doesn't negate all the years of hard work and wisdom you put into your products. Your creativity is still there guys and allows you to do things the big boys are not doing. The creative aspects of the "enamalists/colorists" can and do set you apart. Can the big box labs do this? Of course but its just not profitable to their business model.

The sub $100 restoration has been sold for years and years, some were just ridiculously poor quality while others were amazing. The guy doing work in his home garage by himself working 12 hours a day and selling premium work had more to do with the degradation of this industry than the Glidewells of this world. When a client sent to Glidewell they knew what they were to get back. The guy in his garage that was and is an awesome tech but horrible with business and let fear of loosing an account dictate pricing rather than charging what he/she was worth gave clients options. It muddied the perception of value.

So I know I sound like a broken record, don't hate on the lower pricing, the average restorations we are making today IN MY LAB have a MUCH higher margin than ever before. We have the ability to sell for less and still hit margins that were acceptable years ago. As the lab industry morphs with these changes product pricing will drop again, and it will be all but impossible finding guys doing average work the old fashion way and selling a competitive product. It just will not exist.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I agree with you John,
What is better is to combine a great workmanship with advance digital technology such as cad/cam to produce the best of both worlds, i do out source , but i should have started cad/cam a long time ago. That is my plan to go a full blown cad/cam and very soon.

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I agree with you John,
What is better is to combine a great workmanship with advance digital technology such as cad/cam to produce the best of both worlds, i do out source , but i should have started cad/cam a long time ago. That is my plan to go a full blown cad/cam and very soon.

I am sure you will do AWESOME!

ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
Al, Those teeth are wrong shape and color. LOL
That will never replace anything we do.
Maybe would replace an Implant made by manufacture and placed by Doc. That's all. No threat to us.
Implant companys are the only ones who should feel threatened by that technology.
That technology will still need a crown or bridge placed. No way around it.
Probably will be more expensive than an implant anyways. I say, forget that noise and think about something else more in touch with reality.

My employees get $60k-70k+ for CAD/CAM positions. (Equivilant of $100k in Cali. I assume?)

No proper Dental training needed. I do not hire traditional Dental Techs.

They want too much money for what they are worth, and do not have the real skills/knowledge I need from an employee.

Thirty years experience playing with bunsen burners and knives does not = good pay job anymore.
Sorry for blunt statement, but all your post sounds like wishful thinking of greedy employer. The way you wrote I have doubts that you pay such money to begin with. Were it comes to shades/shapes and who to hire my experience would be quiet an opposite. Do you know my friend what custom shading is and how challenging many time it is? Zir stinks and place for zir on the back of the mouth as far as possible so no one can see. LOL.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Well, believe my friend Ed.

I was CDT, son of Dental Professor, brother is Dentist.
Do I know what a custom shade is?? Of course.

I owned a C&B for 13yrs+ ...made enough money to buy One million+ in CAD/CAM toys.
So, how did that happen if I don't know anything? Been in the field almost 25yrs now.
If you have done better at running a Dental business, then I would consider listening to your opinion on how to run a Dental Lab and how to hire.

My employees look at this site everyday. Maybe 200 people on here personally know me, and shake my hand. Charles007, Tyler @ Parkway, etc...

Many on this site have been to my facility for training of CAD also!

I do not lie on this forum. Don't care what you think about Zr. Who the heck are you?? Why would I listen to anything you say?

If you are more successful than me at age of 40, then maybe I consider your opinion. Otherwise....ah, ..? You have no place to tell me anything.
Sorry for my blunt statement.
You can hire who you want and show me results if you think you can do better! LOL :)

I have no idea what the heck you are talking about Zr in front or back??
Who mentioned Zr anyways?? We are talking about Laboratory grown teeth in Petri dish going into a mouth needing a crown.

Last edited:
ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
Well, believe my friend Ed.

I was CDT, son of Dental Professor, brother is Dentist.
Do I know what a custom shade is?? Of course.

I owned a C&B for 13yrs...made enough money to buy One million in CAD/CAM toys.
So, how did that happen if I don't know anything? Been in the field almost 25yrs now.

My employees look at this site everyday. Maybe 200 people on here personally know me, and shake my hand.

Many on this site have been to my facility for training of CAD also!

I do not lie on this forum. Don't care what you think about Zr. Who the heck are you?? Why would I listen to anything you say?
If you are more successful than me at age of 40, then maybe I consider your opinion. Otherwise....ah, ..? You have no place to tell me anything.
Sorry for my blunt statement. You can hire who you want and show me results if you think you can do better! LOL :)

I have no idea what the heck yopu are talking about Zr in front or back??
Who mentioned Zr anyways?? We are talking about Laboratory grown teeth in Petri dish going into a mouth needing a crown.
Woo,I am impressed with such long reply.sorry if i made you angry, but what-ta heck we agree to disagree ,right? I am happy that you more successful than me, have no problem with.

Top Bottom