Increase in production between Roland 51D and 52DC?

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Can anybody who has used both of these offer up some info? Is there a significant difference in production capability between these two machines? Theoretically, it seems like there would be since you could load up 52DC and let it run overnight, whereas with the 51, it requires swapping out the discs. Just checking to make sure the disc changer actually works as advertised. Anybody have any insight? Thanks in advance!!

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We have been running the 52dc at CAP since it became available. Early n we did have a few CAM issues seems to be running day and night.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
We have been running the 52dc at CAP since it became available. Early n we did have a few CAM issues seems to be running day and night.
Thanks Bob! Do you see a big increase in production between the 51 and 52? We're trying to determine whether or not the 52DC will allow for more production if we pick up a couple new accounts.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
This will depend on your specific needs. If you want to run a mill through the night and weekends the 52DC will do it. If you need all your stuff out of mills by day end, you may be better off getting two mills no changer. The price point of the two options is very close. I also think that two spindles will outperform one with a DC in a 24-hour time frame. The DC makes up for it over the weekend.
Personally, I love the idea of going home knowing the lab is closed but still producing and making money:)

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
This will depend on your specific needs. If you want to run a mill through the night and weekends the 52DC will do it. If you need all your stuff out of mills by day end, you may be better off getting two mills no changer. The price point of the two options is very close. I also think that two spindles will outperform one with a DC in a 24-hour time frame. The DC makes up for it over the weekend.
Personally, I love the idea of going home knowing the lab is closed but still producing and making money:)
Gotcha, thanks! Quite frankly, purchasing two mills is out of the question right now. It will either be a single 52DC or a single 51D.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Or...;)

Don't keep us guessing.

James Babbi

James Babbi

Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks! Quite frankly, purchasing two mills is out of the question right now. It will either be a single 52DC or a single 51D.
If you can only go with one mill now, there is no question that the DWX-52DC will be a better option. As Bob said, the machine can be working overnight and on weekends without supervision.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Versamill 5X400 from Axsys. That's where Id put my money if I were going in on a first mill.

alextstone

alextstone

Reaction score
Hi user name,

Would you elaborate? I am considering purchasing a Versamill 5x400.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words user name.
Hey alextstone, I think there are many reasons that our clients (and potential clients) would recommend our Versamill machines and I would love to be given the opportunity to discuss them with you either via phone, email or forum conversation.

Basically, dollar for dollar, pound for pound, from reliability to versatility and quality output to minimum required handwork; there is no other dental mill in the 5X400's price range that can beat it- then of course there is our high level of support.

I specifically designed our website, www.axsysdental.com to help users understand what factors are important in selecting a digital dental SOLUTION and why these factors are important. While visiting our website you will also see images of restorations taken straight off of the machine with no post machining handwork as well as comparisons of restorations fabricated from other CAM software and milling machines.

I typically recommend our clients first review the specific webpages below and afterward contact us for further discussions and to answer any questions or concerns you might have. Our clients have told us that these pages really help them in understanding what to look for (and why) as well as the value our solutions and our company provides them.

If you would, please review the pages below and contact me, toll-free at (855) 687 7941, by email: [email protected] or via forum conversation. I would welcome the opportunity to understand your application and objectives and discuss the value we can bring to your organization and how we might enable you to to realize those objectives.

Thanks
Steve

https://www.axsysdental.com/index.html#ourdna
https://www.axsysdental.com/UniqueSolution.html
https://www.axsysdental.com/Machines-General.html
https://www.axsysdental.com/Versamill5X400.html
https://www.axsysdental.com/AxsysDentalSolutionsFinancing.html#5x400promotion

Last edited:
alextstone

alextstone

Reaction score
Thank you Steve!

I already researched your website extensively. Impressive depth of information there. It's also impressive that you would take the time to respond to my post - thank you for that. This is a new and exciting chapter of my dental career.

Alex

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Hi Steve why did they change the tool station on the 400 a bit closed to the milling area without cover ?? or didnt the cover work well on the XS ??

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Hey cadfan,
We really did not have any problems with the configuration on the 5XS. However the decision to not include a cover was made after evaluating pre-production and production 5X400 machines which showed that there were less worldwide maintenance problems without any corresponding operational issues.
Of course as always, if in the future there proves to be a need to re-introduce a cover or other protection mechanism to solve any operational issues, we will absolutely do so.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
THX Steve sorry add question saw it later on 300 !! calibration is done with plane metal plate with electronic bypass and pin in the spindel both rotation axis at the rotation centerline most outer points on the plate zero degrees or additional max tilt angle too ??

alfredmorad@gmail.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hello alexstone,
My name is Al Morad, I am the Sales Manager for Axsys Dental Solutions, If you need any assistance please feel free to contact me at the Axsys Dental Office, 248-926-8810. I believe Greg Rittichier from our office has reached out to you also.
Thank you for your interest in our 5X-400, again feel free to contact myself, Greg or Steve at your convenience.
AxsysDentalOfficeDocsLogoColor225px.jpg

Because it's more than just about the machine

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
THX Steve sorry add question saw it later on 300 !! calibration is done with plane metal plate with electronic bypass and pin in the spindel both rotation axis at the rotation centerline most outer points on the plate zero degrees or additional max tilt angle too ??

Hey CADFAN, sorry for the delay in responding (I'm recuperating from a nasty bug here). We calibrate and validate all axes as well as the fixture. To my knowledge we check rotary a zero and 180 degrees. I will check to verify if we check on max angles.

Having said that, this is (or was) the procedure previously utilized on the 5XS and it proved to be more than adequate to assure accuracy/repeat ability for ht rotary axes. I believe this has a lot to do with encoders on the 400/300 for all rotary axes, "zero-tolerance" rotary as well as the high-quality, heavy-duty, bearing-reinforced reduction gear that we use. Check out the two images below. One is of a popular dental mill with very poor quality gearing on the rotary axes. The other images is the reduction gear of the 5XS (you can see no encoder). The gearing on the 400/300 is the same, the difference being these machines utilize a closed-loop system with encoder feedback.

Attachments

• 5XSreducer.jpg
    5XSreducer.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 48
  • RolandRotaryAndReducer.jpg
    RolandRotaryAndReducer.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 46
  • RolandRotaryAndReducer2.jpg
    RolandRotaryAndReducer2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 38
cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
THX Steve but if compare same axis !! in the pics A and B and B is often a bit a lame duck on small mills.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
THX Steve but if compare same axis !! in the pics A and B and B is often a bit a lame duck on small mills.
Yes, I agree. They were the only images I had. I did not have a direct A to A and B to B, but if you look you can tell there is still quite a difference-plus it does, as you say highlight the low quality on the "small mills". that are often in the same price range. I can get an image of a versamill A-axis reducer it there is any interest....

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score

More info:
For the normal calibration A/B are checked at +/- 30 degrees using the plate for rotary position. B is flipped 180 for height.