I feel like i am working for free

H

HDL Owner

Reaction score
user name: Hardest choice I had to make in 30years. I have worked weekend for the last 20 years, taking an occasional Saturday now and then. I decided to downsize a little. I made an appointment with my highest volume Dr and explained that I no longer could continue doing his volume of work because of above^. He thanked me for being honest with him and reduced his volume by 1/2, I recommended another lab I am familar with. This past Saturday: My son and I were able to take our new 357 S&W to the range and spend the day! Sometimes, you just have to say enough is enough and enjoy family.Personally divorced because of being a work-a-holic!can't change that but I can change the furture.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Sunday now...Been at the bench since sunrise. I love my job. Ill be here till 8:00 or so tonight. Ive been wanting to take the time to reign death on some cans with my Springfield Armory XDM.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Reading this post makes me angry. I'm a third year pros resident and I have nothing but respect for good lab technicians as I have seen a glimpse of what it takes to achieve quality lab work.

I have come into dentistry later in life and have a very clear picture of the type of dentistry I will practice and provide. I refuse to buy into the philosophy of letting insurance companies dictate what I charge for my services, which in turn does not let insurance companies dictate what I can afford to pay for my lab work. If a patient does not see the value in the services I provide then they are free to seek out the cheapest fees somewhere else. Part of that is my responsibility of course in educating my patients but some people will never value their dental health and the quality of dental restorations fabricated by the lab.

I recently spoke with a lab tech at a conference that used to own/run a bigger production based lab with nine employees. He was killing himself, went through a divorce, etc. He shared that several years ago he sold the lab and now only employees himself and one other. He said it was the best decision he ever made. He now charges more for his lab work - which allows him to focus on producing quality. He reduced the number of cases he took on and now works less while making more.

I know this not possible for everyone but it was motivating to see the joy he has when talking about his lab work.

And when he is through he has some used equipment to sell. I wonder, is that the exit plan for most dentists?

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
I am trying to either get big enough to be bought, or maybe I'll be the one to start buying? Either way, this Industry will have a dramatic change very soon.

Third, but hardest option is to take all my equip and employees and move out of Dental and into other sector of manufacturing.

I am too young to retire, and too smart to think that this job will last another 30 yrs.

Need options.

Panic mode has been in effect for years now. LOL

your cheese is on the move ?
I wonder how we'll feel in ten more years when we reflect on these feelings?
Is there a common aim for retirement planning for techs? and how have the old guys planned their exit strategies? Your thoughts have raised some interesting questions. Peoples teeth will always need attending to so there will always be work of some kind - especially for those with 'know-how'.

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Agree with that ireckon the next 20 years or so will be boom time for dentistry!
With 60 million people with teeth in the uk at least and only 8,000 techs there should be enough work for a while yet!

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Mark-
For my business model(one man, national account base),shipping charges have never costed me an account that Im aware of. Of course, everyone I work for is outside my driveable geographic area, and they already understand they have local choices.

We have people here competing with $65.00 frames and they are eating the shipping...Hard to wrap my mind around the $150 frames let alone $65 ones.

We agree Mark, charge shipping folks..

One way or another you HAVE to charge for it or you soon will be working for free- or paying for the 'privilege' of working.....

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I looked up one day and just didn't see a cloud with a silver lining or a bright white light at the end of a tunnel that was not alive with deceased kin and friends that had gone on already and another beam of color corrected lights that seemed to be lighting the Gates of Hell. I got real lucky and and had a chance to use my expertise where I was not part of the bench production.

When production as a small lab is maxed out, or not and you are already on the upper price tier in your area in a buyers market that is just not a place with any easy answers.

Like suggested already using less trained, less expensive help to make sure the most qualified techs time is not being squandered doing jobs that can can be done with less qualified help. That should bring up production and increase the bottom line.

I sell very well made cast partials in the $60s and make more money than I could making them with my hands and selling them at $150. I decided that the number of dollars in the bank just doesn't need to be only about how many are made with my hands.