How to counts Units...Need help :)

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
"In our lab we have tech that do start to finish, one of the arguments we had for not having different people do building and grinding, is that the quality would suffer"

It does!

In our production lab we have separate people to do the metal work start to finish and separate people to do the ceramics start to finish.oh and we also used the PTC training system for many years which was/is great, but it still doesn't stop human nature which is to bang the stuff out and get out the door. Apologies to the minority of people that are the exception to the rule.

We do it similar to you, but we have seperate waxers, finishers, and the our ceramists build and grind their own work, followed by a level six manager who gives it the final finesse before it goes to stain and glaze. It works for us quite well actually.

The trick of course is to make sure you don't have square pegs in round holes. You have to get the right kind of people, and given the opportunity, they absolutely blossom in this environment. Sometimes it means you have to go to extremes to find those people, but it's worth the cost and effort.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
"That's why we use incentives of a positive nature. Reward them for good behavior and you will have loyal, productive employees."

...That's how we trained our Jack Russell.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Treat your employees just exactly like you treat a dog:

1) Make sure they know what is expected of them
2) Give them rewards for good behavior
3) Make sure they enjoy their work, and that it stays fun
4) Give them some freedom to explore and learn new things
5) Give them praise and affection and let them know they are appreciated
6) Make sure they are comfortable and their needs are met
7) Clean up their messes but never rub their nose in it

If you do these things, you will be rewarded with almost unbreakable loyalty and unconditional respect.

I still have my first employee from 29 years ago. How about you?

Last edited:
araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Why don't you get one of those big bull whips like Indianna Jones has and crack the ass meat that sticks out the back of their chairs!

Maybe you could borrow Doug's third leg and give them a boot in the arse when they don't produce.
Who needs Cad/Cam when you can use a weapon?

ai56.tinypic.com_1zgg4sw.gif

PS. did you know a dentist invented the electric chair ?
Maybe he had a lab out back ;)
ai56.tinypic.com_1zgg4sw.gif

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"You have to get the right kind of people, and given the opportunity, they absolutely blossom in this environment. Sometimes it means you have to go to extremes to find those people, but it's worth the cost and effort"

Thats always been our biggest problem/failure Mark. Maybe you just have a bigger pool to draw from.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
"You have to get the right kind of people, and given the opportunity, they absolutely blossom in this environment. Sometimes it means you have to go to extremes to find those people, but it's worth the cost and effort"

Thats always been our biggest problem/failure Mark. Maybe you just have a bigger pool to draw from.

Maybe. I have been bringing them from around the country. I will not just settle for whoever responds to my ad locally. If I want to perform at the highest level, I have to do what it takes to get the people here. I have found a recruiter is helpful.

You might try that route.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
LOL

"I still have my first employee from 29 years ago. How about you?

Yes,I married her.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
" Treat your employees just exactly like you treat a dog":

There's one to post in the lunchroom!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY!!!

Treat your employees just exactly like you treat a dog:

1) Make sure they know what is expected of them
2) Give them rewards for good behavior
3) Make sure they enjoy their work, and that it stays fun
4) Give them some freedom to explore and learn new things
5) Give them praise and affection and let them know they are appreciated
6) Make sure they are comfortable and their needs are met
7) Clean up their messes but never rub their nose in it

If you do these things, you will be rewarded with almost unbreakable loyalty and unconditional respect.

I still have my first employee from 29 years ago. How about you?

WOW! That almost makes me want to shut down and apply for a job.

Last edited:
P

paulg100

Reaction score
or look outside the industry, i thought that was the trend in the US for managerial roles.

Probably only applies to real big setups, as smaller companies need all-rounders which means a requirement for technical skills.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Yeah but seriously that is the kind of place I see lab owners or former owners wanting to work at.

The latest technology, R&D department, paid CE, $80-100k base salary for managers, plus:

Health insurance
Dental, vision
401k with matching
2 weeks of vacation, plus a week of personal/other days
flex time
Production differential
bonuses
two off site manager retreats per year
Cafeteria with a chef cooking fresh meals every day

Not too bad. No headaches unless they are of your own making. All of my managers and level five technicians are former lab owners. We've been very blessed to have good people and more success than we deserve.

Last edited:
dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
The latest technology, R&D department, paid CE, $80-100k base salary for managers, plus:

Health insurance
Dental, vision
401k with matching
2 weeks of vacation, plus a week of personal/other days
flex time
Production differential
bonuses
two off site manager retreats per year
Cafeteria with a chef cooking fresh meals every day

Not too bad. No headaches unless they are of your own making. All of my managers and level five technicians are former lab owners. We've been very blessed to have good people and more success than we deserve.
Al. A big bow, is food included in that deal? Pets do h!be their meals provided right?

Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Reaction score
One Body Build up Porcelain may help your situation. Ivoclar and GC America have one powder systems that would probably do well in the situation you are discussing. Clearly if the "powers that be" are threatening to outsource work, then a one powder system could streamline and allow the technician to concentrate on a more accurate build, which could translate to better production on the end. Also, easier to train someone to stack when there aren't a ton of other factors to learn such as layering modifiers, enamels, etc. The Ivoclar One powder system is also compatiable with their standard system, InLine, so for special shades requiring modifiers and enamel transulcencies, then you can switch it up for that one case. Good Luck

Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Reaction score
Benefits of working like a dog....

Hey Mark, What about cleaning my ears and nail clipping? And occasional express of the anal glands?:confused:

I work best when I don't have to "scoot" every few hours to calm the itch.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Hey Mark, What about cleaning my ears and nail clipping? And occasional express of the anal glands?:confused:

I work best when I don't have to "scoot" every few hours to calm the itch.

Be careful, you might be subject to being speyed or neutere, depending. And wait till you're introduced to the breeding program to make more lab babies. If you're a toy Chihuahua and he introduces you to a bullmastif watch out.

Top Bottom