Have to Quit. equipment for sale

J

jsub

Reaction score
Was diagnosed w/ Silicosis. Need to sell my stuff. Burn out oven/articulators/sand blaster/vaniman vac /wells lab engine/ney ceram press qex/misc other stuff. Need something hit me up I may have it. oh ya, some porcelain too. Thanks.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Wow, can you go into more detail about your diagnosis if you don't mind? I'm curious if you used a suction, how many years did this take to develop, and how you realized something wasn't right before you went and got tested.

J

jsub

Reaction score
I used suction, Been on business for 19 years. Though I have to admit I wasn't too diligent about wearing a mask all the time. Started to notice shortness of breath going up stairs and such maybe 2 years ago but wrote it off to my "life style" (not a big excersise guy). finally as it got worse I decided to get checked out as I'm not over weight. I was convinced it was my heart, but no.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
That's crazy, and disheartening to say the least. I also have almost 20 years doing this business so I couldn't even imagine what you are going through. How are you dealing with be diagnosed...and your prognosis? I knew a tech that contracted Hepatitis C from doing some lab work but never knew anyone that got silicosis. What are you going to do now for work? Any suggestions for other techs out there? I ask these questions not to be nosy, but more to learn something from your experience. Thanks for sharing with us all.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
An occupational lung disease caused by inhalation of crystalline silica dust. Silicosis is one form of dental technician pneumoconiosis aetiology. Several studies thought Silica, cobalt, and beryllium may be implicated. As there is some content of silica in plaster the dry model trimmers may contribute, as well as dust from the plaster bin when making models. A study I read in the 1980's contended the grinding of porcelain denture teeth & mfg of porcelain crowns. Beryllium was used to increase hardness in CoCr partials but has mostly been outlawed except in mid east since 1997. There was a Swiss study in 1977 by Lob and Hugonnaud among 24 dental technicians 5 had hard metal (cobalt and beryllium) pneumoconiosis. For removable & oprtho techs extrinsic allergic alveolitis related with methyl methacrylate effects on the lung parenchyma. If U have access there is a 2011 study Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology 21, 536-540 (September/October 2011) | doi:10.1038/jes.2011.26 AJ Ireland's group added the polishing agents used in resin polishing & finishing
A 1986 report of one of the early vitallium formulas Dental technician's pneumoconiosis. A repo... [Am Rev Respir Dis. 1986] - PubMed - NCBI.

See we are so popular we even have diseases named after us.
One member I have shared pictures of my lab wondered why I kept things neat & clean, he didn't notice the hearing protection next to my model trimmer or NIOSH P99 disposable respirator hanging next to my polishing lathe & model trimmer. I use a sharpie to write the date I take it out of the box (I'm cheap I stretch them for 10 days unless they get wet). One member who has been over has started using hearing protection & masks at her place. Oh and yes I have COPD and use O2 to nebulizer ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulfate from time to time. I've been working in labs since the late 60's started haveing some lung problems in the mid 80's

Last edited:
ed 3

ed 3

Reaction score
That is encouraging. :( I've got 20 more to snor until get my silicos.

J

jsub

Reaction score
Yes I would say keep things neat and clean. (wasn't my strong point). I was always kind of a rebel and thought getting the work out the door was more important. I WAS SO WRONG. This very rare, and I wouldn't be discouraged as a new tech. I have no one to blame but my self. This is a noble and usually lucrative occupation. I will post more tomorrow re: my prognosis/answer questions if it will help anyone. I am thankful that the Dr.'s at the Mayo clinic have taken an interest and are going to try to help me. I feel fine other than the occasional shortness of breath, and would encourage anyone in this bus. to get a chest x-ray as part of your normal Dr's visit maybe every other year.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
terrible news.

so sorry!

We have a 50yr old tech in Virginia that developed this as well recently.

I think he inhaled too much porc dust. He was ceramist.

Scott

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
wow this sounds terrible. i have a gradfather still alive (barely) who is 87, recently came out of the hospital after a bad breathing problem; when he was in his 20-30's he was diagnosed with asthma and so used an inhaler the rest of his life. he worked manufacturing bowling alleys and often spent the night at those alleys sleeping in the areas he had just been working on filled with dust and varnish and grease. as it turns out this last breathing problem they diagnosed him with COPD and put him on oxygen for 3weeks.

i had not thought this profession was one of so much potential problems; jsub, AJEL, i wish you guys the best. thanks for the heads up!

J

jsub

Reaction score
Have listed a few items on e-bay seller:sub3556.......ceram press starting bid: 1650.00

J

jsub

Reaction score
Just added a Vaniman Vanguard 1X w/ accumulator starting bid 180.00 and a Leach and Dillon Silhouette porcelain kit @280.00 seller Sub3556 thanks!

J

jsub

Reaction score
Coming soon to ebay Vaniman Sandstorm expert sand blaster

95 years

Reaction score
You Can't get Hepatitis C from doing labwork. It is bloodborne meaning it has to be blood to blood. You will not get it from a bloody impression because the hep c will never live that long for it to be transferable.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
You will not get it from a bloody impression because the hep c will never live that long for it to be transferable.

Hepatitis C can live outside it's host up to 4 days. There is some studies that show a median of 16 hours but most agree anywhere from 16 hours to 4 days is it's longevity outside the body. Maybe you were confused with the HIV+ virus?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Hepatitis C can live even longer than that...I can't remember the study, but it lived in a petri dish for 29 DAYS in dried blood.

L

labmanmike

Reaction score
I heard 3 days on a hot sidewalk. yikes. I'm sure an exageration but I know it has a long life