Green metal

R

raduh

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about so called "green metal"? As far as I understood, it's a metal for metal-ceramic works that has the toughness of presinterised zirconium. And after sintering, this toughness is like the usual cr-co alloy. I understood that Imes-Icore is testing some material like this. It is called "nickel-pearl". Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you!

R

raduh

Reaction score
yes, maybe, but in this case is not necessary to buy a milling machine for cr-co, you can mill with zirconia milling.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe good for partials?

It's pretty cheap to print (rapid prototype) and invest/cast.

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
I guess it would be cheaper to use your existing mill than buy a metal compatible one or a laser sintering rig. Not sure I can think of a chemistry that would convert metal from a soft state to inert solid form and keep the shape.
But who knew 10 years ago Zr was just over the horizon - so anythings possible

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
My Mom plays with Jewelry metal in a clay state, then bakes it in the oven and it (sinters?)

I'm sure some metallurgical breakthrough will happen for milling "green" metal, but I doubt in Dental any time soon.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Green metal is the term for warm compacted metals to be used in machining. It is, in fact, very much like the green zirconia that we use now. It has organic or inorganic binders and even sometimes lubricants inside. By having the powdered metal in a green ststae, it can be milled of a softer form, allowing quicker machining, less heat, less wear of cutting tools and lighter weight.

After milling, the frames are then sintered in a sintering oven. Some of the problems in the past with this technology has been contamination of the metal causing gassing, and also lots of porosity.

Some of the early prototypes I worked with also had warping problems during sintering and shrinkage.

Top Bottom