G. Ubassy

K

Kaypan

Reaction score
I noticed he used a layer called the absorbtion layer, will someone shed some light on this. My guess is it's an opacious dentine layer.

Actually, it´s the opposite. These masses is intended to absorb light and make grey/violet areas on the tooth, mainly in the incisal 1/3 and proximal areas. The light-absortion masses he uses, are different violet colored translucent masses. These masses usually appear grey, but by mixing in violet in most of these transpa masses they don´t alter the luminosity. If you would have just added grey the luminosity could make the teeth appear very artificial.

Light reflecting masses are opacious masses. Dentin with one fifth mamelon mass mixed in is one example of a light reflecting mass.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Actually, it´s the opposite. These masses is intended to absorb light and make grey/violet areas on the tooth, mainly in the incisal 1/3 and proximal areas. The light-absortion masses he uses, are different violet colored translucent masses. These masses usually appear grey, but by mixing in violet in most of these transpa masses they don´t alter the luminosity. If you would have just added grey the luminosity could make the teeth appear very artificial.

Light reflecting masses are opacious masses. Dentin with one fifth mamelon mass mixed in is one example of a light reflecting mass.

I might believe your interpretation, except his build up to the point of description, "masse de absorption", the powders he used were: dentin A3.5+20% rose, dentin A3, transparent+translucent, transparent opal, and dentin opacious orange.

masse de absorption in english: "use tissue to draw moisture from the mass".

K

Kaypan

Reaction score
I might believe your interpretation, except his build up to the point of description, "masse de absorption", the powders he used were: dentin A3.5+20% rose, dentin A3, transparent+translucent, transparent opal, and dentin opacious orange.

masse de absorption in english: "use tissue to draw moisture from the mass".

You really got me second guessing myself there user name! So I had to check G.Ubassys book "Tricks and Hints" today. Trick nr 13: "How to create absorption masses." I shall not quote the whole paragraph, but its more or less as stated in my first post.
Out of the materials you mentioned he used there are "transparent+translucent, transparent opal" that can be used as absorption masses I think. InLine/e.max has for instance opal effect violet that can be used for this purpose. Not familiar with d.sign, but maybe opal violet is there to...

I don´t know either english or french very well, but "masse de absorption" can´t possibly be translated to "use tissue to draw moisture from the mass"!?! I think it simply means "mass/material of absorption".

At least in his book he refers to absorption masses as translucent violet masses, that absorbs light instead of reflecting light. It has nothing to do with absorbing fluids from the ceramics. At least thats my take on it...

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
Gérald Ubassy | Facebook

If you look though his page he has tons of tips as well on how to do a lot of those tips, it is actually very good. If you look in the notes he has some good articles as well and there is even a couple videos on some of this tips and tricks.

Last edited: