Full contour nightmare's

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
That's how the origin scanner is. Anteriors have to face the front etc. The better you place it the better the crown proposal. It's not crazy picky or anything just helps a little.

Last edited:
P

paulg100

Reaction score
"I used to buck the trend at every turn myself."

so did we, always in at the start, like you think your gonna find something that everyone else is missing out on.. no.. it just costs you a ton of money.

Never again. Let everyone else do the r&d and jump on board when a winner emerges.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
I am putting this out to ALL cad user's
please see the pics below
they are of 2 cases we apptempted to do full contour emax with our dental wings ( 5 series)
as you can see they are far from anything that are worth a hill of beans
the images you see are of what the mental wings propossed, we did NOT alter them at all
do any of you get simaliar designs from your systems?
please need help, our scan man (Nick) is ready to go to the roof and jump

thank you in advance

Greg Amendola MDT

Those aren't what happens regularly, right? Anyway, doesn't seem too bad. You should see some of the proposals I get on the inlab. I've had proposals that looked like porcupines, stalactites, buildings and all kinds of weird shapes and sizes, some larger than the model itself. And too often, the tooth will just disappear.

Sorry I'm not familiar with dental wings. Is there no way to get around that? On the craplab I usually had to rescan and start over.

anil patel

anil patel

Reaction score
my dear friend i seen ur full contur crown design its bed ,i have also five sirise dental wings scanner i never get like this design ,some times get problem in only conector ,

M

Morave

Reaction score
Hello.
I am a DW user and although their automated proposal algorithms need improvement (and that may be an understatement),I have never seen anything like this before. Stretched shapes- check. Too small or too big teeth- check. But never this weird "melted" look. Make sure the anatomy library is ok. You can install DWOS on a second computer legally, so if you have that, try to import the order there and see what it proposes. May be a scanning issue. Make sure all die scans are correct. I once overlooked an inverted (inside out) die scan and got nothing but trouble. Also sometimes the margin line can cause problems. Try checking it in CAD. The "exploded" view of the die has to look believable. Once part of it is missing or it has a twisted shape, something got wrong in the scan analysis process. This usually results in the overlay imploding into the die. Run the auto margin detection routine again and it should fix itself. Could you post pictures of the dies?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
things like this usually mean that some data was missing and the render went through the hole.

that is common in all CAD software programs.

Check your scan file and see if it is clean. (maybe try spraying the model if it's causing reflections)

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
they are of 2 cases we apptempted to do full contour emax with our dental wings ( 5 series)
the images you see are of what the mental wings propossed, we did NOT alter them at all

thank you in advance

Greg Amendola MDT

if i got that proposal, and had difficulty getting something that I like, I would be on the phone with the dental wings support folks. showing them what i had and how to correct it. its the easy way yes, but we gotta save nick from the roof.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score

thank you in advance

Greg Amendola MDT

Wow!! We have both DW and 3Shape, never have I seen something like that. Come pretty close when I selected the wrong tooth and tried to spin it the right way!!(for some reason I thought that would work) As far as desiigning a FC crown goes 3Shape is hands down easier and better looking than DW. You should have your scan tec contact Nan with Zahn, she trained me and is very good.

S

Scanner Man

Reaction score
things like this usually mean that some data was missing and the render went through the hole.

that is common in all CAD software programs.

Check your scan file and see if it is clean. (maybe try spraying the model if it's causing reflections)

You are correct. It is a STL issue. Inverted, tunnel, hole or intersecting triangles can cause the FC surfaces to go crazy. I have seen hundreds of results like this. Every time I could find an issue with the stl. Allot of time goes into eliminating these issues so they don't happen in the field.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Can you smooth the raw prep before the software produces the proposal?

Does DentalWings allow you to change the raw prep?

Maybe you have wrinkle or flaw in die mesh/surface?

Poor hole-filling algorithm? Poor scan data?

??

I thought I had figured this out over five years ago, but forgot what caused this phenomenom. I sold that system years ago.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Luke, you get that kind of stuff with 3shape as well?

i do indeed. pics follow of the most recent occurrence of this phenomenon.

View attachment aimg833.imageshack.us_img833_9963_ukycftutir4.th.png
View attachment aimg36.imageshack.us_img36_6594_ukycftutir3.th.png
View attachment aimg23.imageshack.us_img23_2682_ukycftutir.th.png

the case is a simple 4unit-6unit-4unit three bridge restorative case with zirconia substrata. done dozens of them. today - poof. weird things like this happen, and i spend about 10 mins in the adding/removing stages to fix it. this happened worst on the tooth in each shot. err number 14 so i think you americans call it #5... can't quite think straight.

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Luckily I've never had anything like that with exocad... Yet anyway. So far exocad has been rock solid through all the different restoration possibilities it offers. Keeping fingers crossed:)