First Veneer Case

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I use a little bit of chapstick on the preps to hold veneers and crowns in place when building. I saw where Matt Roberts kind of semi bonds his veneers to the model. I can't remember now exactly where I saw the guide but if I come across it I will let you know.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Smileline sells a product to help hold down all ceramic crowns... have no clue if its worth buying.

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
I use a little bit of chapstick on the preps to hold veneers and crowns in place when building. I saw where Matt Roberts kind of semi bonds his veneers to the model. I can't remember now exactly where I saw the guide but if I come across it I will let you know.

Good idea!

I use some type some gel that's in a tube...looks like ky jelly. But it's not strong enough to hold veneers while adjusting. Works well for full crowns.

I'll try the chapstick.

Thanks Jason

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
Smileline sells a product to help hold down all ceramic crowns... have no clue if its worth buying.

Damn you!!!

Smileline...so...shiny...just spent more money than I should in that store.

Passed on the $50 holding gel though.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Ivoclar has a product called SR Gel that works good awww.ivoclarvivadent.com_website_uploads_images_02_933x_sr_gel3af234d9a950cad1b8b38ded8d495de7.jpg
awww.ivoclarvivadent.com_website_uploads_images_02_933x_sr_gel3af234d9a950cad1b8b38ded8d495de7.jpg

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I use hair gel to hold veneers on the dies, if you can find it, there is a sports version that is thicker and stickier than the regular stuff. It is suspiciously similar to the stuff sold by lab suppliers. Rob

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Al, Do you know Professor Ernie Wolf CDT from KY?

He is an instructor in Richmond VA lab school for the past couple decades.

Amazing tips. Right to the point and clearly stated.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
vasseline works fine or uhu glue (the pen one)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Tube of KY Jelly.

Water based and won't ruin your oven.

I use SR Gel in the bedroom. Is that wrong?

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Tube of KY Jelly.

Water based and won't ruin your oven.

I use SR Gel in the bedroom. Is that wrong?

......to stop the door creaking ? ;)

I think the main concern is contaminants, are there any issues with the materials folk choose to use ?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Never had an issue with Chapstick. I just use the base version. Nothing fancy ;)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
"......to stop the door creaking ? "

....to keep the dog from howling!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
"......to stop the door creaking ? "

....to keep the dog from howling!

Tell him Scott, there was something howling alright but it wasn't the dog...HA!!!!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Too much info labguy!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You dorks go ahead with your petroleum based products. :p

There is nothing in the ceramic world that has that in it. Why the heck would you think it's ok?? Go ahead and use Quaker State 10w30 for your build up liquid while your at it.

Everyone here in Richmond VA has been using KY Jelly and other Glycerin cooking products for decades. Been taught in the Dental Lab schools as well.

Same fokkn thing as super thick glaze liquid. Also medical grade for internal use is kinda a plus with the KY brand. You can also use the crap Doctors smear all over a pregnant ladies belly for ultra sound.

I have always been told man-made fibers (carpet made from petroleum) and other petroleum products are a serious no-no with any ceramic stuff. Even Natural olis such as vegetable oils are not OK.

Why do you think we are always paranoid about french-fry grease on the lab bench, or anything with oil?

Chapstick?? Who made that up? I would NOT do that.

Scott

Last edited:
T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
You dorks go ahead with your petroleum based products. :p

Everyone here in Richmond VA has been using KY Jelly and other Glycerin cooking products for decades. Been taught in the Dental Lab schools as well.

Even Natural olis such as vegetable oils are not OK.

Scott

Always quick to the prick, I must point out that glycerine is produced through 3 routes...
Saponification of animal fats
Saponification of plant fats (oils)
and synthetically....from propylene....a petrochemical derivitive

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Learned it from a Tech at a Vita course years ago. Works great.

Top Bottom