Mark Jackson

Reaction score
FDA NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release: Jan. 13, 2011
Media Inquiries: Doug Karas, 301-796-2805, [email protected]
Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

U.S. Marshals seize dental devices from Florida manufacturer
Company cited for significant manufacturing violations

U.S. Marshals, acting under a court order sought by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, on Jan. 5 and 6, seized all dental devices from Rite-Dent Manufacturing Corporation, located in Hialeah, Fla.

The seizure of dentistry products valued at $208,910 follows an FDA inspection that found significant deficiencies in the company’s manufacturing processes that may affect the safety and effectiveness of the products.

FDA inspections of the Rite-Dent facility, most recently in November 2010, revealed continuing significant deviations from the current good manufacturing practice requirements for the products. Good manufacturing practice requirements help to ensure the safety and effectiveness of medical devices.

FDA’s recent inspection also confirmed that the company had not obtained FDA marketing approval for certain devices.

The FDA previously warned the company about these and similar violations during FDA inspections in 2005, March 2010, and May-June 2010, as well as in a 2005 Warning Letter.

The FDA advises health care professionals to discontinue use of their products.

“The FDA expects medical device producers to follow good manufacturing practice and to obtain clearance or approval of the devices that they market,” said Jeffrey Shuren, M.D., Director of FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health. “If firms ignore these requirements, we will take appropriate action to protect public health.”

VincentCeramics

VincentCeramics

Reaction score
FDA inspection that found significant deficiencies in the company’s manufacturing processes that may affect the safety and effectiveness of the products.

Not very nice for end user...

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I know a lab that got in trouble in FL for having a super dirty lab. He paid big fine.

His models smelled like cigarettes when we open his work up.

Dude still owes me over $4k for over one year now.

I want to punch him in his face!

Some lab owners are just loosers IMO. Not many, but each city has one or two.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
FDA inspection that found significant deficiencies in the company’s manufacturing processes that may affect the safety and effectiveness of the products.

Not very nice for end user...

Mixing and mathcing materials, not being properly trained and documented, unqualified technicians, not maintaining and calibrating equipment, not tracking failures and taking appropriate corrective action will ALL affect the safety and product performance.

As *** noted, heath and safety violations, breaches of infection control protocol, and using materials off label can all get your lab shut down, locked and and products and materials seized. This isn't a game any longer.

C

clearH2O

Reaction score
What FDA will do to Californian illegal dental labs?

Mixing and mathcing materials, not being properly trained and documented, unqualified technicians, not maintaining and calibrating equipment, not tracking failures and taking appropriate corrective action will ALL affect the safety and product performance.

As *** noted, heath and safety violations, breaches of infection control protocol, and using materials off label can all get your lab shut down, locked and and products and materials seized. This isn't a game any longer.
Hi Mark, I am a Californian Dental Lab Technician.
Would you give your opinion to the forum of what FDA will act to FAKE DENTAL LABS located in California, USA? These illegal DTL rent an office then outsource all of their work to China. They then lie to our American patients that the restorations are MADE IN THE USA.
I also welcome all American Dental Technician opinions input to this matter.

Thanks
Clearh2o

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Hi Mark, I am a Californian Dental Lab Technician.
Would you give your opinion to the forum of what FDA will act to FAKE DENTAL LABS located in California, USA? These illegal DTL rent an office then outsource all of their work to China. They then lie to our American patients that the restorations are MADE IN THE USA.
I also welcome all American Dental Technician opinions input to this matter.

Thanks
Clearh2o

Thanks for asking. This is a huge problem, and one of the reasons I believe we should have a requirement for only credentialed technicians to won labs, and that all labs be registered with the FDA.

In the mean time, I think you should do the same thing I do. See if they are registered with the FDA, and if not, turn them in. If everybody did that, sooner or later the FDA would start to enforce the law, but if nobody is complaining, it's just like having a meth lab next door and nobody saying anything. It's unlikely to get busted.

We have it worse than any other state. A hundred times worse. BUT like immigration problems, unreasonable environmental laws and other stupid ideas, what happens in California will eventually happened everywhere else. Those labs will see what we deal with everyday, and it won't be pretty.

C

clearH2O

Reaction score
beware Dental Lab from other State

Dental Lab Owner from other state in the US who outsource to California also beware of California Illegal Dental Lab(IDL)problem.

Shame on you if you knew Illegal Californian Dental Labs but still outsource your works. Do not cowardly hiding where are your dental appliances made. Play a fair game to US citizen.

I accidentally achieved these Lab names beside Californian Lab who are faking MADE IN THE USA statement by outsource work to China. These Labs are from Colorado, Oregon, and Washington. They are well known Dental Lab due to their confirm statement to US dentist and US Patients-MADE IN THE USA. They are reliable to this statement, and it will follow them to a reliability law suit of the product. If someone on this forum collect these names, documented, its will be effective in FAKE DENTAL LAB LAW SUIT.

The USA Dental Lab Technician and American Dental Lab Owner should act together to keep Dental Lab Occupation stay in The United States. Please names these Illegal Labs and Labs that outsource work to IDL on the forum.

Thanks
clearh2o

Last edited:
kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Mark, do you happen to know what the dental devices that were seized are? Just curious.

Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Reaction score
Was Rite-Dent a real lab or just an outsoucing center? I hate the term "devices", and what exactly did they seize I wonder. Is anyone familiar with this lab or know who owns it?

Last edited:
T

tap

Reaction score
There's still a boat load of Rite Dent products on Ebay (curing lights, impression trays, etc.)...but I noticed none of their alginate is listed anymore. Is there anyone with more info on this?

T

tap

Reaction score
Was Rite-Dent a real lab or just an outsoucing center? I hate the term "devices", and what exactly did they seize I wonder. Is anyone familiar with this lab or know who owns it?

I believe they are a supplier/distributor...not a lab-but I could be mistaken.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what they make. A Medical Device is a medical device. We have the same standards and the same penaties for non-compliance.

Come on now, the way you had me thinking from the original post was it was a DENTAL LAB......nope, just a manufacturer. Sure, you could make an argument that we have the same standards but I like to think Dental Labs would get their house in order before the FDA moved in for seizure.....

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Come on now, the way you had me thinking from the original post was it was a DENTAL LAB......nope, just a manufacturer. Sure, you could make an argument that we have the same standards but I like to think Dental Labs would get their house in order before the FDA moved in for seizure.....

You had all the same onformation I had, but really Rob, the point is, in the eyes of the FDA we are all in the same business and the same rules apply to you and me.

The FDA shut down Invisalign for one day. In the case above, you're right, they were warned and didn't comply. I think I know planty of labs who will flip them off as they drive away. It won't be long...I have my ear to the ground for it when it finally happens.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
It seems they are starting with the manufacturers first? No?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
It seems they are starting with the manufacturers first? No?

You and I are manufacturers, so we fall into the same barrel as this company. If you would like to take cuts to the head of the line to take your turn, these are usually the things that will get you there:

Complaints/failures
510k applications
Import
repackage
Random visit

Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Reaction score
You had all the same onformation I had, but really Rob, the point is, in the eyes of the FDA we are all in the same business and the same rules apply to you and me.

The FDA shut down Invisalign for one day. In the case above, you're right, they were warned and didn't comply. I think I know planty of labs who will flip them off as they drive away. It won't be long...I have my ear to the ground for it when it finally happens.

I have been waiting and waiting........FDA needs to follow through on a few good violators who have been reported to the NADL and state officials(not mentioning which state). Again, people have been told in great detail who is doing what and how to verify the violations are continuing.....

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
rite-dent was copying other manufactures products.

(I have a cheap-ass light curing unit from one of these guys. It's a knock-off)

Maybe sold poisenous alginate?

Garbage from China and other countrys.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
We have alloy identification tags that go to the DDS, Fricke (ask George about) has started supplying tags for the patient record that gives the FDA, CAS, ISO, & statement made with USA materials. I have had DDS request same for other materials I use in my lab. So I have started making my own with the mfg permission & have had positive reactions. FL I have heard has some statutes on this. If we all take one step at a time the consumer can obtain some education, I would not want something of unknown or untrusted origin in me.