• Exocad

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • 3Shape

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
E

Eric Q

Reaction score
I have been researching scanners to purchase and I think I have it narrowed to the Medit Identica 2015 Blue and the 3Shape 750. Both have the blue LED, however the Identica can scan much larger models so I won't have to knock my models off of large articulators to scan. I'm looking for any advice of which way to go and what distributor's you have used that have offered the best support.
Thanks!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I have been researching scanners to purchase and I think I have it narrowed to the Medit Identica 2015 Blue and the 3Shape 750. Both have the blue LED, however the Identica can scan much larger models so I won't have to knock my models off of large articulators to scan. I'm looking for any advice of which way to go and what distributor's you have used that have offered the best support.
Thanks!
How much CAD experience and computer knowledge do you have?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Welcome to DLN !

I doubt many techs know about the new 3shape other than techs that went to Chicago, and there were many dln members that were there..

Do you live in the US ?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We have email Charles.

E

Eric Q

Reaction score
How much CAD experience and computer knowledge do you have?
I am fairly good with computers. I have no CAD experience. So far I watched a few live demonstrations on both systems. I then sat with the trainer from DT on two separate days for at least 3 hrs. I understand she is the expert but the designing looked understandable and even simple in her hands. Her implant module looked really good. On the other hand I have a lab who uses the 3Shape 900L and I have sat with him a few times observing scanning and designing as well. The exocad just seems easier although I keep hearing the opposite.

E

Eric Q

Reaction score
Welcome to DLN !

I doubt many techs know about the new 3shape other than techs that went to Chicago, and there were many dln members that were there..

Do you live in the US ?
Yes, I saw the 750. It looks the same but all anyone wanted to demonstrate was the 1000 or 2000. The big difference is the blue LED in every unit except for D500 (Red Laser). Obviously the 2000 is much different since you can scan everything in one scan.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I am fairly good with computers. I have no CAD experience. So far I watched a few live demonstrations on both systems. I then sat with the trainer from DT on two separate days for at least 3 hrs. I understand she is the expert but the designing looked understandable and even simple in her hands. Her implant module looked really good. On the other hand I have a lab who uses the 3Shape 900L and I have sat with him a few times observing scanning and designing as well. The exocad just seems easier although I keep hearing the opposite.
They are both easy to learn. If you want to be able to customize your CAD program to your liking after you have some experience with it exocad is easier to alter. If you decide on exocad, don't get a branded version unless it is completely open. Meaning you have access to all the configuration files.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I asked if you lived in the US because of resellers you could buy from, and get the best support..
Deciding on Exocad and 3Shape is becoming harder and harder to decide which is best, both are winners, and both have negatives and positive's.
Choose wisely and buy based on best Support and not strictly on price..

E

Eric Q

Reaction score
They are both easy to learn. If you want to be able to customize your CAD program to your liking after you have some experience with it exocad is easier to alter. If you decide on exocad, don't get a branded version unless it is completely open. Meaning you have access to all the configuration files.
Thank you for the info. Do you have experience in both systems? Do you have a preference as to which implant designer is better?
Thanks!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. Do you have experience in both systems? Do you have a preference as to which implant designer is better?
Thanks!
I have experience with both, but way more experience with exocad. I really like the abutment module. It is easy to use.
I hate the margin marking tool in 3Shape.Banghead

C

charles007

Reaction score
Sorry, above my pay- scale for that question.
I know one dln member that's owned both systems with implant modules and can answer your question with great authority
Stay tuned for update later

Calling Jason N. where art thou

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
3shape

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Luke that has to be the shortest answer you have ever given in the ongoing exocad, 3shape battle. LOL
Can you confirm it is you and not an imposter?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Ill think 750 is laser only 900 1000 and 2000 are blue medit blue with exo best value 850 and 750 are relabeled 700 800 with bigger chamber

J

John S. Kim

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks!
Yes, you are correct on Blue LED for both. 3Shape D750 has same scanning volume as D900L so that you do not have to break articulator mounting.

E

Eric Q

Reaction score
I asked if you lived in the US because of resellers you could buy from, and get the best support..
Deciding on Exocad and 3Shape is becoming harder and harder to decide which is best, both are winners, and both have negatives and positive's.
Choose wisely and buy based on best Support and not strictly on price..
For exocad I would use DT Technologies, they have a local training location and I really liked their trainer. For 3Shape I am using Henry Schein (Zahn). Price is pretty much the same anyway. One big question rolling around in my small head, if a Dr. goes with the Trios intra oral scanner by 3Shape are they more/less likely to use me if I have a 3Shape scanner instead of a Exocad? I know it doesn't matter but the Trios sales force is working the sale and possibly steering the Dr. Overall I get the impression 3Shape is just so big in the US it would be dumb not to jump on board. Thanks so much for all the advice/info you give. I am a new member and I am learning the ropes. Thanks!

R

Radu

Reaction score
The new Exocad that we have now as a beta version is great! Far better workflow and more ergonomic. I think that Exocad with Identica Blue is the best choice. Don't forget the money you save.

Hourglass716

Hourglass716

Reaction score
For exocad I would use DT Technologies, they have a local training location and I really liked their trainer. For 3Shape I am using Henry Schein (Zahn). Price is pretty much the same anyway. One big question rolling around in my small head, if a Dr. goes with the Trios intra oral scanner by 3Shape are they more/less likely to use me if I have a 3Shape scanner instead of a Exocad? I know it doesn't matter but the Trios sales force is working the sale and possibly steering the Dr. Overall I get the impression 3Shape is just so big in the US it would be dumb not to jump on board. Thanks so much for all the advice/info you give. I am a new member and I am learning the ropes. Thanks!

This doesn't matter. When a Doc gets his Trios Intraoral Scanner there are no pre-populated labs in the Communicate list. The Doc doesn't even know that there is such a thing as a Trios Ready Lab.
He has to call up the lab he is working with and ask for their 3Shape Communicate email to add the lab in, or he can just call up the lab and have the lab do it on their end.

So to answer your question, the Trios sales force doesn't do any lab steering and the doc never knows whether you use 3Shape or Exo. And he doesn't really care as long as you get a crown out that is on time and fits.

D

David Friedman

Reaction score
This doesn't matter. When a Doc gets his Trios Intraoral Scanner there are no pre-populated labs in the Communicate list. The Doc doesn't even know that there is such a thing as a Trios Ready Lab.
He has to call up the lab he is working with and ask for their 3Shape Communicate email to add the lab in, or he can just call up the lab and have the lab do it on their end.

So to answer your question, the Trios sales force doesn't do any lab steering and the doc never knows whether you use 3Shape or Exo. And he doesn't really care as long as you get a crown out that is on time and fits.
Hi All I also got my identaca blue from DT I have worked closly with my trainer and she is available almost all the time very helpful and friendly. It is true that if you have a 3shape it is slightly less complicated dealing with Trios, however a client did buy the Trios and I just purchased the trios inbox and it works without a hitch. I did Have DT take over my computer and help with set up (I am not good with computers, think jerassic park). By the way I do like exocad
David