ExoCAD import question

dswilliams

dswilliams

Reaction score
Happy Friday! Can someone help me with this exocad question. I am trying to import an STL file into my exocad. It only looks for .dentalproject file extensions. How would I convert a file or import a non-.dentalprojects file into exocad? The itero import tab makes it easy for itero scans, but if I want to import an IOS scan from, say, a 3M True Def, I can't get it to work and am being told this option is not yet available. Thoughts?
Thank you in advance for any insight.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
It is possible to import any .stl file.

Do you have this to work with as data for a new case you want to begin?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Happy Friday! Can someone help me with this exocad question. I am trying to import an STL file into my exocad. It only looks for .dentalproject file extensions. How would I convert a file or import a non-.dentalprojects file into exocad? The itero import tab makes it easy for itero scans, but if I want to import an IOS scan from, say, a 3M True Def, I can't get it to work and am being told this option is not yet available. Thoughts?
Thank you in advance for any insight.
Have to create a case in DentalDB, then drag the STL scan files into that folder in your CAD DaTa folder. Then change the file names of the tru def scans to match what exocad is looking for. I would advise opening an older case folder within you CAD DATA folder. Look at the file names and then make the changes to the tru def scan file names to match()

dswilliams

dswilliams

Reaction score
Have to create a case in DentalDB, then drag the STL scan files into that folder in your CAD DaTa folder. Then change the file names of the tru def scans to match what exocad is looking for. I would advise opening an older case folder within you CAD DATA folder. Look at the file names and then make the changes to the tru def scan file names to match()

Thank you so much for the replies. I tried this and I am still working on it. The problem I am having is I cannot seem to open the Tru Def files to see all the individual files. I will keep trying. Any additional ideas are very much appreciated.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the replies. I tried this and I am still working on it. The problem I am having is I cannot seem to open the Tru Def files to see all the individual files. I will keep trying. Any additional ideas are very much appreciated.
Is it zipped?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score

Like niclymkv said create a new job copy the stl file into the folder and rename it if your not sure of the name scan another model than copy the stl into the folder and rename it use the name of scanned model for your imported stl file ( import with copy or cut out and insert windows funktion ) than rename and kick the other stl away.while you try to rename the system says theirs still a file with that name so its called 2 after kick out the other model just cancel the 2 in the filename, maybe if you open the new job you have to do scanning data orientation.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
Oh.... you're trying to use the import button. that's not for importing stl files.

one way is to create an order, save, then click on CAD. it'll let you open prep, antagonist and pre-op stl files.

Pieter

Pieter

Reaction score
Exocad has a module called STL reader. I think you need that

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
No, you just need to open the possibly zipped folder from the tru def and follow our recommendations above;)

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Like niclymkv said create a new job copy the stl file into the folder and rename it if your not sure of the name scan another model than copy the stl into the folder and rename it use the name of scanned model for your imported stl file ( import with copy or cut out and insert windows funktion ) than rename and kick the other stl away.while you try to rename the system says theirs still a file with that name so its called 2 after kick out the other model just cancel the 2 in the filename, maybe if you open the new job you have to do scanning data orientation.

Not with the import bottom in the database its a normal windows operation look where the file is saved normally on plate D cad open the folder their the dentcad, stl upper ,lower,restoration stl , pictures and so on saved you have to change upper and lower filename fore example first pic the folder after scannig the job second pic after copy the upperjaw with the wrong number third pic after rename all the same but still 2 is wrong so two options rename the stl whithout number into 3 so you dont have to kick of the stl and rename the file with the 2 kick of only the number two in the file you see at the change date which is the old and new and you can switch if you want just rename Bsp.jpg new wrong name.jpg new wrong 2.jpg 3 rename.jpg Bsp.jpg new wrong name.jpg new wrong 2.jpg 3 rename.jpg

dswilliams

dswilliams

Reaction score
Not with the import bottom in the database its a normal windows operation look where the file is saved normally on plate D cad open the folder their the dentcad, stl upper ,lower,restoration stl , pictures and so on saved you have to change upper and lower filename fore example first pic the folder after scannig the job second pic after copy the upperjaw with the wrong number third pic after rename all the same but still 2 is wrong so two options rename the stl whithout number into 3 so you dont have to kick of the stl and rename the file with the 2 kick of only the number two in the file you see at the change date which is the old and new and you can switch if you want just rename View attachment 14742 View attachment 14743 View attachment 14744 View attachment 14745 View attachment 14742 View attachment 14743 View attachment 14744 View attachment 14745

Thank you again for the replies. My challenge is not importing the raw STL file but rather importing the file AFTER marking the margin through the 3M True Def Connection Center. All indications are this is not currently enabled with no time frame for when it will be, whether in Exocad or Precisocad. I have spoken with both 3M and Jensen and this is the response I have gotten. Do any of you super techies have better info than that? Jensen said my only option was to mark the margin, have the model printed, then manually scan the physical model. That is a ridiculous "solution." Eager to hear anyone's thoughts on that, recognizing I am probably missing something here.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Hmmmmm, so it's changing the file type etc. when you mark the margin in their software? Do you have to mark the margin in their software? I would just download the raw data, import into exocad, and handle the margin etc. there?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
high dswilliams did 3m change the file ( stl) or is it just an additional file like const. info for the margin maybe upload a file in dropbox and we see.

Top Bottom