Equipment to start CAD

Smitiz

Smitiz

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have been reading your forums since january, and We want to expand our Dental Lab to CAD/CAM.

We only produce acrly products, no metal/porcelain, and we have equipment only for those.

What equipment do I need to start scanning?

I was thinking about:
- Vacuum mixer (we dont have yet, dont ask :D )
- Pindex Machine
- Sectioning saw (sry not very familiar with english terms ^^)

We are thinking about Nobel's system, there is a Dentist who whould work with us excluseively if we use that.

I really dont have any CAD experience, is it hard to design? I have watched some youtube videos about designing with Nobel, it didnt look hard at all, but its allways easy to watch a professional at work :)

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
... thinking about Nobel's system, there is a Dentist who whould work with us excluseively if we use that. ...

Sounds to me like the typical Nobel sales pitch... just buy a scanner and we'll give you exclusive accounts...

Smitiz

Smitiz

Reaction score
The Dentist is sort of like a family relative, I'm not worried about him ;)

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Ok then... the equipment you're talking about is about making C&B models. What kind of product(s) are you planning to make first of all ?

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
3shape or exocad. Dont mess around with anything else.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
exocad or exocad. Take your pick.

Both are just as good IMO.

Give me your check book and all will be taken care of.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
exocad or exocad. Take your pick.

Both are just as good IMO.

Give me your check book and all will be taken care of.

I will take the 3Shape Scott, LOL!

Hello everyone!

What equipment do I need to start scanning?

I was thinking about:
- Vacuum mixer (we dont have yet, dont ask :D )
- Pindex Machine
- Sectioning saw (sry not very familiar with english terms ^^)

These are equipment for model work. You have the stone so then a pindex machine for drilling the holes, some pins and bases for the models, Vacumixer for mixing, so far your on track, a simple hand saw and a separating disk for those tiny close together margins, a hand piece some plastic and metal articulators and you should be set on the model work end.

Then Honestly skip Nobel, go with either 3Shae of Exocad, Nobel is going to launch their module on 3shape soon so you can have actual Nobel implant abutments cut by Nobel you design they cut no more warranty headaches. Plus you get a much better program in terms of capability wise. More control over your designs and what not. Then do you plan on out sourcing your designs for milling or plan on milling in house? If outsourcing then you should be set. Maybe your material for staining and glazing if you are going to do Full Contour Zriconia crowns, or see if the lab or milling center you will have mill your stuff can finish them for you.

Be prepared, once you open this box or worms you go in head first and never come back up for air. LOL Since I started my new job and my old work, they bought a EZ mill (VHF) then the glidewell abutment module, a $1500 vaniman vacuum setup, $1k in zirkan zhan coloring liquids and not to mention the material to cut in, LOL in once week it was like Christmas on crack!!!

Consider your self !!!WARNED!!!

;)

Sevan

Smitiz

Smitiz

Reaction score
Thank you for all the info, I'm going to sit down with the dentist in a few days (maybe today) to talk about details.

I whould like to do milling outsourced, I know for sure that he is very confident with Nobels milling center, he wants guaranteed high quality, we cant skip on that.

Using 3Shape with Nobels Mills looks like an alternative, but I'm willing to spend even 60K for a good setup...

btw what has to be the main strong side of the computer for the designing? CPU? GPU? Lots of RAM? Could anyone post some own specs?

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
They are opening up for abutments, so your abutment will be authentic Nobel, everything else like your Zirconia shouldn't be an issue else where? No? Or does he want Nobel Zirconia as well?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
You will be in the very small minority using only Nobel for outsourcing.

Good Luck!! Sounds like a terrible idea to me. I don't know anyone who uses them, except John Wilson on this site maybe.

Most people who bought Nobel scanners do not use them at all now.

Bob Ross

Last edited:
shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
If you're dead set on Nobel, then I recommend leasing it. They have a "rental" option so you don't have to fork out big bucks for something if down the road you either aren't getting the volume or just aren't happy with the product you can return it. We have had ours for like 6 months, and I've done 2 bars(one was a test for us) and like 10 abutments. Most docs are wanting screw retained zr abutments, so those are milled in-house and bonded together. I don't have a problem with the scanner, it takes some time scanning for a bar, but the quality that comes back is great. They are a little on the expensive side for bars, abutments are about the same as other implant companies. You can totally get the same quality, maybe even better for a lot less by using an open scanner and sending out to a different milling center.
You're basically buying a car, you wouldn't buy a new car without test driving it would ya? Make sure you like whatever scanner before you buy it.

Smitiz

Smitiz

Reaction score
I dont know if he wants Nobel Zirconia as well but therer a high chance.

I will definately ask about rental with Nobel, but my Dentist is really into this system...

He said hes got some new insights about our project tho, but didnt want to discuss over phone, maybe he has changed his mind about nobel, did some research locally too, cant wait to talk to him ^^

Top Bottom