Want To Buy DWX-51D Calibration Plate

K

karlanm

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I've been hunting down a calibration plate for the 51d for a while and can only find a disc without the posts that stick out. Roland no longer keeps them in stock. Anyone have one they'd like to sell? I know they aren't cheap and would be willing to pay a fair price.

In lieu of that, I've considered trying to get one machined, however Roland doesn't have any information on the dimensions of the plate, however this would be my last option.

Thanks!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I've been hunting down a calibration plate for the 51d for a while and can only find a disc without the posts that stick out. Roland no longer keeps them in stock. Anyone have one they'd like to sell? I know they aren't cheap and would be willing to pay a fair price.

In lieu of that, I've considered trying to get one machined, however Roland doesn't have any information on the dimensions of the plate, however this would be my last option.

Thanks!
maybe check with @Garland Dental Services ?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I'm in Austin area, called them a while back and they didn't have any. Guess it's worth checking again, but I know they are moving the next week or two and everything is probably boxed up lol
Roland hasnt been able to point you in the proper direction? seems silly they cant find a supplier with one collecting dust somewhere

K

karlanm

Reaction score
Roland hasnt been able to point you in the proper direction? seems silly they cant find a supplier with one collecting dust somewhere
I agree. A ton of people (Argen, Roland, etc) have the plate, but it comes without those three posts that screw in. I suspect they want people to get a new mill and aren't particularly interested in supporting older equipment, which is certainly their prerogative and in the best interest of their investors (eye roll).

I have been meaning to call the Latin American and Japanese division, but haven't gotten around to it.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I agree. A ton of people (Argen, Roland, etc) have the plate, but it comes without those three posts that screw in. I suspect they want people to get a new mill and aren't particularly interested in supporting older equipment, which is certainly their prerogative and in the best interest of their investors (eye roll).

I have been meaning to call the Latin American and Japanese division, but haven't gotten around to it.
keep us posted if you find a solution.
i have the plate with posts, but i still use my 51D lol

D

DIMADEL

Reaction score
Hi, try to fix the calibration with a manual correction, you have to mill a calibration specimen….

D

DIMADEL

Reaction score
Did you get the calibration plate ?

K

karlanm

Reaction score
Still looking for a plate if anyone has one. They are seeming to be a total pain to find. Even if I could get the measurements and have a machinist make one (or multiples perhaps),surely the measurements would be round number millimeters.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
If you have the core plate minus the pins, just buy dowel pins and press them into place, might cost you 10 bucks if you have an arbor press.

K

karlanm

Reaction score
If you have the core plate minus the pins, just buy dowel pins and press them into place, might cost you 10 bucks if you have an arbor press.
If I remember correctly, argen has the plate, with threaded holes, but wasn't sure about the size/length of the posts

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, argen has the plate, with threaded holes, but wasn't sure about the size/length of the posts
I'm looking at mine, it's not actually conventional dowel pins they use, it's hollow pins / spacers with socket-head cap screws to mount them.
Let's see what we got here...

The pins are... 25mm long, 6mm wide, with a 3mm+clearance hole down the middle (looks like 3.15, 3.2mm ID).
The cap screws are M3, 33mm long (32.8 as measured),with a 10mm unthreaded section. All 3 pins are the same, so 3x of each component.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
95% certainty that the 51D calibration plate locating pins use the following components:

92871A027
18-8 Stainless Steel Unthreaded Spacer, 6 mm OD, 25 mm Long, for M3 Screw Size
QuantityEach
1-9 Each$3.86

91292A022
18-8 Stainless Steel Socket Head Screw, M3 x 0.5 mm Thread, 30 mm Long
$5.18 per pack of 50

OR

91292A033
18-8 Stainless Steel Socket Head Screw, M3 x 0.5 mm Thread, 35 mm Long
$4.50 per pack of 25

all mcmaster-carr buys, less than $50 all in for, like, a dozen spacer + screw sets. I was expecting a precision-ground part like a conventional dowel pin, but I guess not. I'm consistently surprised at the... lack of precision in Roland components, you shouldn't be able to do precise 5-axis milling with non-ground, roll-formed leadscrews, gears installed on axles with Phillips-head set screws and no keying whatsoever, etc- but they pull it off.

K

karlanm

Reaction score
95% certainty that the 51D calibration plate locating pins use the following components:

92871A027
18-8 Stainless Steel Unthreaded Spacer, 6 mm OD, 25 mm Long, for M3 Screw Size
QuantityEach
1-9 Each$3.86

91292A022
18-8 Stainless Steel Socket Head Screw, M3 x 0.5 mm Thread, 30 mm Long
$5.18 per pack of 50

OR

91292A033
18-8 Stainless Steel Socket Head Screw, M3 x 0.5 mm Thread, 35 mm Long
$4.50 per pack of 25

all mcmaster-carr buys, less than $50 all in for, like, a dozen spacer + screw sets. I was expecting a precision-ground part like a conventional dowel pin, but I guess not. I'm consistently surprised at the... lack of precision in Roland components, you shouldn't be able to do precise 5-axis milling with non-ground, roll-formed leadscrews, gears installed on axles with Phillips-head set screws and no keying whatsoever, etc- but they pull it off.
I just ordered a backordered plate from Benco, I'll post back after I can get everything assembled, calibrated and test mill

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Lovely, good luck. I'm keen to see if everything works out, would be nice if this is the ticket for keeping old dwx-51s running.

K

karlanm

Reaction score
Lovely, good luck. I'm keen to see if everything works out, would be nice if this is the ticket for keeping old dwx-51s running.
Yea, I'm surprised about how little these machines changed internally between the 51&52 (and lots of 50 parts). I'd love to be able to keep this thing running, even if it means replacing lead screws and changing to a linuxcnc/grbl board if it comes down to that eventually

On your previous point about the accuracy on previous post, i've been thinking it most likely doesn't calibrate where it thinks the holder is, it probably uses the limit switch and then travels ~100mm, which would mean the accuracy (for the mcmaster carr parts) would be +/- 0.13/100 vs it being 0.13 off on calibration. I bet the motors are closed loop stepper/servos are pretty accurate, but the limit switches (dust, part wear) & lead screw wear are where the error is introduced. But who knows.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

Thanks!
i have a friend with a bigger cnc shop. he may be able to mill them for me as a favor. (i have one to provide him for measurements)
if youre unable to procure one that is. maybe reach out to Garland or something?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I'm looking at mine, it's not actually conventional dowel pins they use, it's hollow pins / spacers with socket-head cap screws to mount them.
Let's see what we got here...

The pins are... 25mm long, 6mm wide, with a 3mm+clearance hole down the middle (looks like 3.15, 3.2mm ID).
The cap screws are M3, 33mm long (32.8 as measured),with a 10mm unthreaded section. All 3 pins are the same, so 3x of each component.
interesting, the pins on mine are not hollow.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
for sure. mines been an absolute work horse and i want to keep it that way as long as possible