Digital Diagnostic Wax up

B

bioart

Reaction score
Hello All. I am a exocad user and would like to scan a model in and create a diagnostic wax up over the existing dentition. I am finding it a little difficult. The objective is to create the wax up, mesh the wax up to the model and then have it printed. I'm having difficulty designing something decent. The next problem is meshing the wax up to the model so it can be printed. Can anyone help? Is there any other software out there dedicated to digital diagnostic wax up.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Do you have the provisional module?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
This is a theory, because I haven't had time to try it.

Scan the model. Save the scene in DentalCADApp as a stl to original alignment, you will use it as an overlay later for reference of incisal edge position.
Close the wizard and freeform the original model scan data using the smooth/flatten tool this will keep the mesh closed instead of leaving jagged holes like editing the mesh.
Start with the anteriors only so you have landmarks to register the mesh later if needed. Leave as much of the papilla architechture in place as possible. Save as stl to original alignment.
Open a new job with the anteriors as anatomic pontics and the abutting posterior tooth on each side of the arch as an inlay. Start DentalCADApp. Mark the margins on the inlays as small as possible. Import the original scan as a preop mesh, it should be aligned, but if not you have the posteriors as landmarks to register it. Using the incisal edge position of the preop, position your pontics to the desired positions smooth off the inlay wings. Close the preop mesh and save the scene with the anteriors in place to original alignment as stl.

Now that that you have the anteriors positioned close the CADApp then start a new job. Import your anterior altered model. Close the wizard and freeform scan data, smooth the posteriors the same way as you did the anteriors. Save as stl in original alignment. Close CADApp. Start a new job with the posteriors as anatomic pontics and the cuspids as inlays, you may need to keep the most posterior tooth in tact to use as an inlay to complete the bridge (not sure). When finished designing the pontics save as stl in original alignment.

There is a lot saving as stl, so be sure to name them properly to keep them organized and easy to keep track of. If you try this let us know. I have a few cases coming up that I will be trying this on.