Diamante jewelry in crowns

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Hi all,
A client of ours has had a request from a patient for diamante jewellery to be added to 4 lower crowns. He would like them attached to lower canines and premolar and I assume we will make the crowns in Zi.
I have no clue how to go about this and have never seen it on crowns, only on natural teeth.

Any help / advice would be appreciated if possible on what to do, or not to do.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I've seen it done on denture teeth by putting them in with clear repair acrylic.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
I've seen it done on denture teeth by putting them in with clear repair acrylic.
Thanks for your reply Doris.
Definitely would be simpler with denture teeth😣
I'm not sure if they can be fired and sealed into the zirconia without the jewellery being damaged.
Or thought maybe the dentist seals them in to prepared areas with clear cement?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
This video makes my teeth hurt, but hopefully helpful :)

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Not what you're looking for. I've set diamonds in denture teeth and golds crowns. Denture teeth using a method not unlike in the video and gold crowns I set and burnish the edges over. Could you imagine having all your teeth drilled into like that?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Hi all,
A client of ours has had a request from a patient for diamante jewellery to be added to 4 lower crowns. He would like them attached to lower canines and premolar and I assume we will make the crowns in Zi.
I have no clue how to go about this and have never seen it on crowns, only on natural teeth.

Any help / advice would be appreciated if possible on what to do, or not to do.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff
Hi Jeff. I would get in touch with a jeweler! You may have to do them as pfms, since the process is the same like placing diamonds in a ring or bracelet. Although, today's cements are rather strong. Still, I would talk to a jeweler and see what they do.

But wasn't there a thread on here about this a while ago?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Jeff. I would get in touch with a jeweler! You may have to do them as pfms, since the process is the same like placing diamonds in a ring or bracelet. Although, today's cements are rather strong. Still, I would talk to a jeweler and see what they do.

But wasn't there a thread on here about this a while ago?

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Not what you're looking for. I've set diamonds in denture teeth and golds crowns. Denture teeth using a method not unlike in the video and gold crowns I set and burnish the edges over. Could you imagine having all your teeth drilled into like that?
Definitely not for me:oops:

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Thanks Contra.
I believe the dentist is seeking out a jeweler ATM, but thought I would do my own research on the DLN.
I did do a search but haven't found any articles so far.

Pfms ??? Oh the pain, the pain🤣

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
If you haven't followed the cost increase in alloys, wait until you see what they want for an ounce of PFM gold alloy :eek:
I mostly use milled NP for the few pfms I do, but even casting gold is crazy 😞

J

Josh Claxton

Reaction score
Scan in the proposed diamonds as STL's, and use their geometry for an attachment and cut them out of the teeth. You may need to modify slightly the green state Zir, but just rounding out the pointed edge in the deepest portion of the seat should be enough. We just had a similar upper anterior case march through the lab and that was the easiest solution. Aside from that, as long as they're REAL diamonds (I have seen some "real" ones melt even though the patient swore they were real) you can lock them in with a bit of translucent porcelain around the edge.

- Josh

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Great information thanks Josh. Did you take any pics of the finished job?
Cubic Zi would work too I imagine?

Found out yesterday that the patient wants the crowns in silver, so will probably mill in NP. Gold would be very expensive.
Ill see what happens with the job soon.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
If you haven't followed the cost increase in alloys, wait until you see what they want for an ounce of PFM gold alloy :eek:
Had a four unit bridge last mont, $1200.🤪. and a case of two pfm crowns that ran 575.
No questions asked. 40/40 alloy.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Had a four unit bridge last mont, $1200.🤪. and a case of two pfm crowns that ran 575.
That's crazy I know.

I have a client that insists on 75 percent au for her FGC alloy.
I buy it in 10 gram lots only.
But she is happy to pay for the good stuff so all good.
Polishes beautifully though ☺️

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Tell me about. I had a 3 unit pfm with one molar in full yellow gold going for the same $ amount in alloy. And I used the 'cheap' high yellow gold alloy :eek: (ie no palladium)

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
That's crazy I know.

I have a client that insists on 75 percent au for her FGC alloy.
I buy it in 10 gram lots only.
But she is happy to pay for the good stuff so all good.
Polishes beautifully though ☺️
I have an office that is the same.

If you look at, for example, Ivoclar's gold selection, you will see that some high Nobel alloys (very high gold content) come in substantially cheaper than alloys with 30 or 40 percent palladium content.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
I have an office that is the same.

If you look at, for example, Ivoclar's gold selection, you will see that some high Nobel alloys (very high gold content) come in substantially cheaper than alloys with 30 or 40 percent palladium content.
That's crazy...I have never noticed that.
Why would that be?
Speaking of Ivoclar, I use Harmony Hard for my casting gold mostly. Not cheap😖

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
That's crazy...I have never noticed that.
Why would that be?
Speaking of Ivoclar, I use Harmony Hard for my casting gold mostly. Not cheap😖
Because palladium is nearly 3K per ounce.