Diagnostic Wax Up

N

newcomer

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently saw full mouth Diagnostic Wax Up for an actual patient. It was beautiful and life-like with incredible details . I could even see crack lines on a couple of teeth and some of the molars had slight wear facets. Essentially, it looked as if a mold was made from a set of real teeth then melted wax was poured or injected into the mold and somehow superimposed on the patient's cast. Has anyone seen a technique like this. If it's possible, I would love to be able to do that.

N

newcomer

Reaction score
Take a card or your favourite denture teeth and make a silicone mould. Fill the mould with white wax and voila.
Wow! rkm rdt, Thank you soooo much. So that's how it works! I'm going to give it a try. Do you know if there is an article or VDO tutorial on this. I'm trying to figure out how it is done exactly. (Like how do you position the silicone mold so it lines up with the tooth. (Or do I make a bunch of Occlusal 1/3 to have them handy, then select and secure these with wax one by one then build the cervical 2/3 to complete the tooth. By the way, any recommended denture teeth in particular?
Thank you so much again for you help:)

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I wax tons of diagnostics and surgical guides. I've taken to going through the pans for nightguards. I look for intact arches with no missing teeth, crowns, or fillings. I make a lab putty matrix occlusal to just past cej. Look for varying morphology forms as well as sizes. I currently have enough to wax 6-7 complete arches with matching opposition in sizes small to really big with 3 shape variations in the mid range sizes.
I used to use denture teeth, but unless it's an anatomically correct mould, I find them too narrow buccal lingual.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Wow! rkm rdt, Thank you soooo much. So that's how it works! I'm going to give it a try. Do you know if there is an article or VDO tutorial on this. I'm trying to figure out how it is done exactly. (Like how do you position the silicone mold so it lines up with the tooth. (Or do I make a bunch of Occlusal 1/3 to have them handy, then select and secure these with wax one by one then build the cervical 2/3 to complete the tooth. By the way, any recommended denture teeth in particular?
Thank you so much again for you help:)
just box the card with wax or plastecine and pour the silicone into the mould.
You can fill in as much wax as you need for either a veneer or full crown (pontic).

N

newcomer

Reaction score
You can fill in as much wax as you need for either a veneer or full crown (pontic).[/QUO
You can fill in as much wax as you need for either a veneer or full crown (pontic).

Awesome!!! Thank you so much again!! I'll try it out:)

N

newcomer

Reaction score
My bet is whoever did the DWax is just very talented
Thanks RileyS. It could very well be. (I'm just hoping that there may be a method that requires less time and doesn't need that kind of talent. The latter, I would love to but definitely don't have:).

N

newcomer

Reaction score
I wax tons of diagnostics and surgical guides. I've taken to going through the pans for nightguards. I look for intact arches with no missing teeth, crowns, or fillings. I make a lab putty matrix occlusal to just past cej. Look for varying morphology forms as well as sizes. I currently have enough to wax 6-7 complete arches with matching opposition in sizes small to really big with 3 shape variations in the mid range sizes.
I used to use denture teeth, but unless it's an anatomically correct mould, I find them too narrow buccal lingual.

Thanks, Kcdt! It appears to me that there is a high possibility that this case was done by your method! (Judging from the life-like anatomy and alignment and wear facets and crack lines on only certain teeth.)
Would you mind sharing how you apply this to the model of the patient's arch? Is it something like filling a selected matrix (from the ones you made of different arch sizes and forms) with wax, then remove the full-arch wax from the matrix and affix it to the patient's model of which the patient's teeth have been cut off? I'm trying to imagine myself doing this and running into the difficulty of positioning it accurately Occ-Cerv , B-Li , Antr-Poster. Really looking forward to learning how you do it!:)

N

newcomer

Reaction score
Awesome! I'll give that a try. It will give me beautiful and economical "tops", "faces" and full tooth for many of my cases to come:)
Thank you so much again!

user name

user name

Reaction score
OP needs to see the sculptures done by one of our members, but I cant recall the guys name. He posted some unbelievable full arch art, and I think its the same guy that did a hand sculpture.

Anyone recall?