Diagnostic Wax-up Wax...

BB77SCDL

BB77SCDL

SuperMember
Reaction score
I have been using Lifelike White Diagnostic Wax and I was wondering if anyone new of anything better for diagnostic wax-up's? Thank you in advance...

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Years ago Lee Culp turned us on to using Corning white inlay wax in 1lb boxes. Don't know if he still uses it. Kinda translucent, so if you want pure white, it's not for you. Cheap and you can ask for it from Zahn.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
There is always shaded wax complete with modifier colored wax. Make some waxups that look like crowns...

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Years ago Lee Culp turned us on to using Corning white inlay wax in 1lb boxes. Don't know if he still uses it. Kinda translucent, so if you want pure white, it's not for you. Cheap and you can ask for it from Zahn.

I have some of his wax-ups, me brother sent a few cases to him years back.

That wax is very translucent and hard to see contour i thought, so im not sure id go for that one.

Im using a mix of weiland white and bredents brown wax now. Takes the stark white off and softens the weiland wax a bit to make it nicer to carve. Works for me until i come across something better.

If you cant find quite what you like, just get a few and mix em to make one you do :)

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Diagnostic wax ups for some clients are a sales tool and nothing is better than the whitest wax possible.

As a tech and someone that wants to make wax ups that serve a purpose for planning the definitive restoration a beige colored wax shows contour and surface characterization much better than a white wax could.

The whitest presentation wax we have found is by great lakes, the best beige colored wax that we use now use is Bredents K2 exact.

BB77SCDL

BB77SCDL

SuperMember
Reaction score
Could I use this press this wax out of e.max?

Diagnostic wax ups for some clients are a sales tool and nothing is better than the whitest wax possible.

As a tech and someone that wants to make wax ups that serve a purpose for planning the definitive restoration a beige colored wax shows contour and surface characterization much better than a white wax could.

The whitest presentation wax we have found is by great lakes, the best beige colored wax that we use now use is Bredents K2 exact.

doug

doug

Reaction score
When I wax a case for the patient, I used white wax. When I wax a case for me, I use gray wax. Seems the patients want to see how white and bright their teeth will be, I want to see the details.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I just ordered some Renfert wax, comes in white opaque and white translucent. Seems like a nice wax, I found the Whipmix Lifelike wax slow to use. The renfert one is also a better price (in the UK)

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
For diagnostic wax-ups I wax a thin layer of Yeti beige wax and finish with Patterson's diagnostic wax. It's pretty translucent and carves easy and won't show as many imperfections as an opaque wax so i can finish it quicker.

If you need something super white and inexpensive try some crayola white crayons, they're always available.

Last edited:
M

molarmaker

Reaction score
used Vacalon yesterday first time, seemed a little soft ,liked Renfert opaque a little better

T

twinrivers14

Reaction score
Hate to say this but glidewell sells a complete kit that matches an A1 or lighter depending on how much of the shaded wax you use. It carves like the lifelike wax thats what I used before we got this kit. The best part is that its 7 oz. of six different waxes for $39. So far so good. You can make internal mamalons its got a blue wax with it so you can get that halo effect. when you get done with it put some future floor wax all over the model and the wax up and it will look just like the final restoration.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"You can make internal mamalons its got a blue wax with it so you can get that halo effect."

you actually have clients that are prepared to pay for that??

wax ups for me are about form and function.

if the dentist wants a sales aide id recommend one of the many digital mock up program's, much more effective.

debubblizer.com

debubblizer.com

Reaction score
i use Hi-Tech Diagnostic wax

T

twinrivers14

Reaction score
I didnt say that i did all that i just said that they are there so that you could do that. As far as putting mamalons and adding a darker pigments at the cej. it doesn't take that much longer to do when all the waxes are already laid out for you. If you just wanted form and function just get you some denture teeth and put in there.