Denture Doesn't fit!!!

T

Tonkster

Reaction score
Just received a call from one of my dentist. The maxillay denture doesn't fit. the mandibular RPD fits perfect.

There is a 1/2 inch space between the palatte and denture.

There was no space during processing and polishing stages.

Thoughts???

(excuse any mis-spelling)

V

VictoryDental

Reaction score
Just received a call from one of my dentist. The maxillay denture doesn't fit. the mandibular RPD fits perfect.

Thoughts???

1/2" space?? Considering most palates are only about 1/2" I find that hard to believe.

How long since the original impression was taken? Did this patient have surgery or teeth extracted? There are several things that cold be the cause

S

sampson

Reaction score
how long between taking impression and casting it?
any extractions?
was the casting of the imp. done by the same person who usually does them or a new person?

shellbell12

shellbell12

Reaction score
Too much heat generated during finishing causing some warping? One guess.

I had a few of those gaps and realized it was because I kept taking the wax-up off and on the master model during waxing to look at it from different angles. It was the wax I was warping.

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score

Thoughts???

A hunch - you state the dentist phoned with his comment about the fit to the mouth, maybe the impression was a poor reproduction of the mouth. The work may have fitted the model just fine, but not the mouth. I'd guess the impression material simply didn't adapt into the palate correctly.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
If U had followed the standard protocol of study model, custom tray then master model baseplate (I process mine on dup model) then articulation set-up , process. I would think that during the custom tray model the palate area did not have adhesive and impression material pulled away giving U a false palate. And as U did not see the case the DDS may have embellished a 2mm into 12mm to make U take notice. If U have employee and there was some porosity in the palate they might have shined it up and taken some of the inside down crating a gap.
Write your procedures down step by step with some branch decision points, follow it post it on the wall when a problem shows go to the procedure & see where it might be occurring. If U R in a hurry jot a note on the lab slip a short cut U tried, it might work & become part of a new branch in your procedure or it might bomb &U know what not to try again.

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Karl & AJ at the Chicago LMT show. (Karl is araucaria the tall good looking tech.)
ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_IMG_2145.jpg
I did notice a fair amount of leather at the show does that saysomething about lab persons?

ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_IMG_2145.jpg

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Was the space accompanied with an anterior open bite? If so the problem may be in the hamular notch area. Either too deep a bead here or a piece of the model broke off in this area and it is holding up the denture. Just my guess on so little info. but it doesn't take a lot in this one little area to jack up the palate and it's a tough area for the doc to check.

T

Tonkster

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that responded. Most of the responses were thoughts that were popping up after i had the conversation with the Dentist. Possible overexageration, poor impression, delay between first impression and final seat. This particular dentist insist that I use models provided for appliance.

I guarantee that all appliances will fit on the models provided and usded for fabrication.

Now I wait for the appliance to be returned for evaluation and re-fabrication.

Again THANKS. It's good to have years of knowledge like this!!!

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
material pulled from tray during impression

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
I did notice a fair amount of leather at the show does that saysomething about lab persons?

After eating so much steak I guess it's good to not let the hide go to waste
:) cheers AJ, good to meet up.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
The doctor should have noticed the 1/2'' space during the try-in. With a pulled impression, it would have shown up then.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Pour acrylic will do this sometimes, or if you arent watching your powder / monomer ratios.

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
1/2 inch gap? never heard of such a thing.:jaw:

denturist2th

denturist2th

Reaction score
Denture Doesn't Fit

Whoever took impressions repositioned pressure ant/post or vice versa while impression material was setting.

N

nickate

Reaction score

Did the denture fit the model after processing?
I ALWAYS save the major pieces of the processing model after removing the denture and return them to the dentist for his/her consideration.
The best we can do is to have the appliance fit the model... All the rest is dancing.... and we ALL know how to dance, right?

denturist2th

denturist2th

Reaction score
Thank you nickate. As you already know I wouldn't have been able to do it without my brainstorming associates. Thank you all for your participation. Blessings

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
The doctor should have noticed the 1/2'' space during the try-in. With a pulled impression, it would have shown up then.

In my years I've seen a lot of Drs try in a baseplate that kept flopping around on them. Some will fill it with denture adhesive, the few proud and brave use processed bases to eliminate the variable, the majority just shuck and jive with assurances that the final will fit better and pray they saw what they needed. If that's the type, he may have never even noticed...

T

Tonkster

Reaction score
Here is the Denture with a new model. Cant believe i sent that out because it didn't look like that on the previous provided model. I cut the palate out and it did't fit on the new model. Bummer... Cut into 3 section and still didn't seat on the ridge.

i-dVX94Ln-M.jpg
i-dVX94Ln-M.jpg

Top Bottom