Denture base acrylic

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am happy with the lucitone199 I am using, but I think there is better denture base acrylic out there. I am leaning towards switching to Probase. I compression pack. I do not care for the DENTSPLY repair material. The orangy color isn't appealing to me and I get porosity in it occasionally on relines. Is Probase a really good product? Is it the way to go? I would prefer to get one material and stick with for many years.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I use Blueline and Ivoclar separator I have really enjoyed Ivoclar's products in general.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I use Ivocap for my injections, and Diamond D for my press packed cases, it is stronger than the Probase. IMHO

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
Diamond D by Keystone rocks!! Looks great and is really strong. I don't think you'll be disappointed. They also have a self cure called Slegehammer that I've been using for relines/repairs with good success.

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
I've been using Fricke for many years,never been disappointed. The number 200 Light Hi-I LW , matches the 199 (is dough packed) . I feel it is a better quality & at least 1/2 the price. Like you, I've given up on Dentsply / Caulk. I've been using Uhler Dental Supplies "Original"colored repair powder, seems to be doing the job. I also use Diamond D for 1-2 tooth partials, however this won't match the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

R

Ryan Vick

Reaction score
You will not be dissappointed with probase. It truly is awesome material and looks identical to the Ivobase injection material. One tip Id do with probase though is mix it a hair thicker than what the instructions say. The color comes out better.

Cory

Cory

Reaction score
I have used Probase Hot and love it, 45 minute boil and its ready

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Diamond D for me...Never any porosity and haven't had to repair anything since I switched....I can use Ivoclar's probase cold for repairs but its a bit off shade...nobody seems to mind.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Diamond D for me...Never any porosity and haven't had to repair anything since I switched....I can use Ivoclar's probase cold for repairs but its a bit off shade...nobody seems to mind.
Diamond D Original and Probase Cold USP are virtually the same color for repairs.

P

paul sarratt cdt

Reaction score
for the price and quality and the huge selection of shades also the way the repair shades match Fricke HI I is the one for me they will send you a sample if you contact them

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
With the amount of technology booming in the dental lab industry. Fixed labs are going more digital.
Why not removable? If you are speaking of Ivobase material. Why not get the Ivobase injection
machine and be done with it. Wont have to worry about cross matching acrylic shades as they will match.
Very accurate and consistent time after time. Not a salesman here from Ivoclar, just a lab owner/technician
that owns 6 of these units and knows how to make them work as well as to make money.

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
With the amount of technology booming in the dental lab industry. Fixed labs are going more digital.
Why not removable? If you are speaking of Ivobase material. Why not get the Ivobase injection
machine and be done with it. Wont have to worry about cross matching acrylic shades as they will match.
Very accurate and consistent time after time. Not a salesman here from Ivoclar, just a lab owner/technician
that owns 6 of these units and knows how to make them work as well as to make money.

Case being that you own 6 of these units -- you already know the answer to the question... How many processes per day need to be run to make them profitable-- all 6 or even just one single machine?

I will guess the reason you have 6 is because they run one unit at a time and you run out of hours in the workday at that rate. Also running one unit at a time delegates an employee full time to carry out the procedure, over and over through said day. With 6 units the batch invest and process technique can now be profitable. I get it but that's quite an entry fee to end with the same result vs. having the cases cure while you are home sleeping...

One last quick comment-- demographically not every lab has the case load to justify the cost of EVEN ONE $8-$10k purchase... OR... does not have the latitude to pass along the new technology and associated extra acrylic cost per case (and additional profit charge) to their clients.

This is just one more stop gap method to process dentures until they get the digital, mills and tooth shade/base shade pmma pucks into final production...

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Diamond D and Sledgehammer.
think i am switching over to these once my 199 is gone. better, less expensive, looks great, stronger....no brainer to me!

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Case being that you own 6 of these units -- you already know the answer to the question... How many processes per day need to be run to make them profitable-- all 6 or even just one single machine?

I will guess the reason you have 6 is because they run one unit at a time and you run out of hours in the workday at that rate. Also running one unit at a time delegates an employee full time to carry out the procedure, over and over through said day. With 6 units the batch invest and process technique can now be profitable. I get it but that's quite an entry fee to end with the same result vs. having the cases cure while you are home sleeping...

One last quick comment-- demographically not every lab has the case load to justify the cost of EVEN ONE $8-$10k purchase... OR... does not have the latitude to pass along the new technology and associated extra acrylic cost per case (and additional profit charge) to their clients.

This is just one more stop gap method to process dentures until they get the digital, mills and tooth shade/base shade pmma pucks into final production...

Its is ~45 minutes to run a long RMR (Residual monomer reduction) cycle. You can cure 10 dentures in an 8 hour day and for the last one you can hit the button and leave an 11th unit to cure while I am sleeping. It is a large initial investment, and the flasks are expensive ~600, it comes with two. If you can add 35-50 dollars onto your cost of the denture you will have it paid back in a about a year. I love the system it gives me better results than press packed with more predictability. For production time and quantity there is nothing that beats press packed. You can literally pack as many dentures as you have flasks and space in your curing bath at the same time and have them long cure over night. Press packed acrylic is dirt cheap even for good stuff. Ivobase capsule will run you about 5 dollars ea.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
As for milling it will happen. I just don't see its cost effectiveness currently, even digital dentures now are done by injection. I think milling a wax blank, setting the teeth with intaglio ground to fit in, sealing margin with waxer doing try in then. injecting or milling the acrylic blank and placing the teeth from wax up will be best.

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
Its is ~45 minutes to run a long RMR (Residual monomer reduction) cycle. You can cure 10 dentures in an 8 hour day and for the last one you can hit the button and leave an 11th unit to cure while I am sleeping. It is a large initial investment, and the flasks are expensive ~600, it comes with two. If you can add 35-50 dollars onto your cost of the denture you will have it paid back in a about a year. I love the system it gives me better results than press packed with more predictability. For production time and quantity there is nothing that beats press packed. You can literally pack as many dentures as you have flasks and space in your curing bath at the same time and have them long cure over night. Press packed acrylic is dirt cheap even for good stuff. Ivobase capsule will run you about 5 dollars ea.

Sounds like a 2 employee job--- one to do the days' labwork and put out the daily fires--- and another less skilled (read: cheaper) person to watch over the curing unit... even IF all 10 of those cases are invested and ready to go--- the intrusion into ones' workday to swap out cases, reload, mix (if necessary) and refocus on the money making task at hand- which may include multiple chairsides for a ti/delivery.... could hugely impact efficiency if you're just one dude or dudette.... that 45 min window to work closes up fast when you toss in a bathroom break and a fb check-in lol....Still the same gremlins as 25 years ago when I did ONLY IVO-CAP invest, process and breakout so the denture dude could focus on the more skilled stuff.. lol

PS. adding $50 may be a 50% increase in a fee.. sounds like this service should be added to the pricelist--- not replacing the standard... Now you have even more equipment, supplies and headaches to worry about in the lab... and what happens when the Dr. chooses "premium process" and it gets the usual???Hmmmm2:banghead:Banghead K.I.S.S.

Last edited:
droberts

droberts

Reaction score
A few years back, I had the Standard Ivocap, utilizing 1 curing tank set up with 11 injectors,
cool down tank and 17 flask. 2 technician lab here. Now stepping up to the Ivobase units.
I knew to keep the work flow going for the size of the lab and the volume, I would need at least 4 Ivobase machines,
ended up with 6. 16 flask, no need for special cool down tank as we use a sink.
Processing only the (Ivocap) heat cured, RMR cycle take approx 62 min. per case. We offer a basic denture of no characterization, and a
premium that is characterized. Only difference in the process is that I add the tissue tint material at the time of injection
which takes approx 4 min. Per say, with 16 flask, we can process them in short of 3 hrs per manufactures specs.
To do so with press pack, you would have to short cure (1hr) to be comparable. Is the press pack going
to be as accurate in doing so? Cannot answer that, different topic. Other features of this system.
No mixing with hands, no smell, and no steam. Material is cycled through twice then discarded, less waste and more profit.
Also fees were mentioned as to basic or premium. That is more to do with the wax up and the case itself that it applies,
same material is used. IMO, with one machine, I would recommend at least 4 flask.
You'll spend more time investing and deflasking than the rest of the whole process.

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
Material is cycled through twice then discarded, less waste and more profit.
I've been looking at this system lately, do you mean you can (typically) get 2 dentures out of each cartridge?

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
After processing more than one case there will some acrylic left in the tube but not enough to process a full denture.
Mix the left over from two to process your next case. With this system, you want to make sure you have
enough in a tube, otherwise it goes in default.

Top Bottom