cracked zirconia bridge

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
i need a little help on this one.
this was milled with Cap FZ
colored with ZirckonZahn water based liquids
dried under heat lamp for about 1 hour
sintered in sintra plus (parameters pictured below)
i inspected the green state under microscope and didn't see any cracks prior to sintering.
i inspected the bridge after sintering and it looked and fit fine.
came in this morning (48hrs later) and was shocked to find this crack.
ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3058.JPG
    IMG_3058.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_3059.JPG
    IMG_3059.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_3060.JPG
    IMG_3060.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_3061.JPG
    IMG_3061.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 333
ts4341

ts4341

Reaction score
Sorry Ryan to see this.. so much time invested into these cases
Im not a fan of Sintra Plus..

I would have used this program for that big bridge:
4c up - 900c hold 60mins - 2c up 1560c 2hr hold - 4c down to 900c hold 30mins - 6c to natural

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I prefer a tripod style of bar placement and less mass in the sintering brace. We do it with 3mm bars and only 3, I am not saying thats what caused this to fracture. Weiland has a PDF somewhere that states you only need two but it scares me too much. :)

We all know there are times we do absolutely everything right and things fail. BTW Tads program is similar to mine and the SINTRA is a fine machine that did not cause this. Is this the recommended program for large bridges from CAP?

good luck

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
I prefer a tripod style of bar placement and less mass in the sintering brace. We do it with 3mm bars and only 3, I am not saying thats what caused this to fracture. Weiland has a PDF somewhere that states you only need two but it scares me too much. :)

We all know there are times we do absolutely everything right and things fail. BTW Tads program is similar to mine and the SINTRA is a fine machine that did not cause this. Is this the recommended program for large bridges from CAP?

good luck
can you explain the tripod style?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
You can mill with as many bars as you like but see how I have 3 larger sinter bars and a hollow brace. I also use drops and sinter horizontally. I section the other bars prior to sintering

Attachments

• IMG_1338 (1).jpg
    IMG_1338 (1).jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 288
ts4341

ts4341

Reaction score
I know the Sintra didn't cause the crack..:). Prob the mass and sintering program..
I had issues with our Sintra that makes me pull my hair out, but we have over come most of them now. The MS6000 other than size capacity has been perfect. Next up, we are looking at the Vario S400 ;)

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Ryan can you post a pic of the incisal view straight down? How think is the in between area? Maybe it snapped cause it was too thin.

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
I will post more pics tomorrow.
The interesting thing is that there is an actual gap (you can see light pass through).

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I will post more pics tomorrow.
The interesting thing is that there is an actual gap (you can see light pass through).

yeah, most likely to thin and with the Zr trying to sinter 360 degrees, pop!

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I know with our materials we would recommend drying something this large 4+ hours before sintering. Not sure if this would cause it crack 48 hours after sintering though. I would expect problems sooner (during sintering),but maybe the crack started during sintering and propagated as it sat.

I would also agree with John on the sintering support. The Idea behind the support is that you have approximately the same mass in it as you do in the restoration, this helps to even the contraction of the material as it sinters and cools. We would definitely recommend the cuts as John show in his picture, You can even place units in this area to mill and cut them out prior to sintering, avoiding some unused material.

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
How do I create that type of support bar using sum 3d?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Did one of your employees pick it up?/drop it?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
How do I create that type of support bar using sum 3d?

I believe is possible using the curve functions to design custom support bars...might need to tweak the strategies too... alternatively it can be created and attached with ease by most CAD software out there...

G

grantoz

Reaction score
Its simple round off in between the teeth along the incisal edge its way to sharp and the crack starts there.You wouldnt do that with any other ceramic.

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
I fired it without any support bar and the fit was absolutely perfect.