Cold weld or what

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
Nobel active 3.0 analog from Panthera and stock abutment from implant direct( interactive 3.0) would not separate. Had to cut the analog to free the abutment.

I think this batch of analogs was way off in the tolerances. I have been using them for a while, did not have this problem before.

This was very stressful. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

keith goldstein

keith goldstein

Reaction score
the specifications, design, and tolerances could be different for each manufacturer especially for conical connections and for smaller diameter implants and also what is the QC from both to ensure that the tolerances fit within the norm of their CAD drawings -

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The fun part is you don't know which part was off too much or if both were off in opposite directions. I'd get a mfr made analog to mate with and make sure the abutment will have less chance of that happening in the mouth.

Edit: oops, didn't notice interface ding at first.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Could be that anything that is 3.0 is too fragile and will deform,bend, break, or get lost etween the cords in your pants. Nothing good happens with a 3.0.

S

Soniq

Reaction score
Since the InterActive is a conical connection the abutments can "cold weld".
For this reason Implant Direct makes a back-out screw for the 3.0 platform InterActive.
The stock abutments from Implant Direct have internal threads for this back-out screw.

Darwin

IA 3.0 back out screw.jpg

Moose11

Moose11

Reaction score
Why not just buy authentic Nobel replicas?

Nobel Active has a taper of 12 degrees. Implant direct and other companies have to change that for patent reasons. Also with Active when loaded the conical connection gets squeezed and kind of swells which causes a nice tight seal that blocks off bacteria from being able to enter the micro gaps. So that's the best I could explain it in laymans terms.

So when you take two different components from each company there will be issues. Best to stay with one company for everything. Then the problem relates to if your using knock off components than you'll have an issue in the mouth.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
All my 3.0 failures have occurred with original components. The worst failure were with Dentsply stock 15 degree abutments.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
rkm, how did yours fail, were they Ankylos or Friadent?
LCM

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
For this reason Implant Direct makes a back-out screw for the 3.0 platform InterActive.
The stock abutments from Implant Direct have internal threads for this back-out screw.

Darwin

View attachment 22040[/QUOTE

Hello Darwin:

In this Panthera active analog, the ID impression coping goes in easily without any struggle, the peek hexed abutment goes in easily and properly, but when u put any stock ti abutment, it does not go in with that ease and you would have to force it with struggle, so it's really not the cold weld issue that I initially thought.

It's the non fitting parts which I forced into each other, BUT this should Not happen. I am gonna call Panthera and ask them.

Also when I put that abutment into Bluesky bio active copy analog ( biomax) then there is no problem.

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score

Darwin

View attachment 22040
Hello Darwin:

In this Panthera active analog, the ID impression coping goes in easily without any struggle, the peek hexed abutment goes in easily and properly, but when u put any stock ti abutment, it does not go in with that ease and you would have to force it with struggle, so it's really not the cold weld issue that I initially thought.

It's the non fitting parts which I forced into each other, BUT this should Not happen. I am gonna call Panthera and ask them.

Also when I put that abutment into Bluesky bio active copy analog ( biomax) then there is no problem.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Why not just buy authentic Nobel replicas?

Nobel Active has a taper of 12 degrees. Implant direct and other companies have to change that for patent reasons. Also with Active when loaded the conical connection gets squeezed and kind of swells which causes a nice tight seal that blocks off bacteria from being able to enter the micro gaps. So that's the best I could explain it in laymans terms.

So when you take two different components from each company there will be issues. Best to stay with one company for everything. Then the problem relates to if your using knock off components than you'll have an issue in the mouth.

I agree. With Moose on this one.

You shouldn't have this issue if the parts were authentic components.

Note: Good to see you Ty, long time no see. Welcome back!