Clear light cured custom tray material

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
One of my docs wants me to make a clear hard/soft stent so he can fill it with flowable composite and cure over patients existing teeth to test drive an opened vdo.
Who sells the materials to make that stent? I don't have a vacuformer so need something light curable. Thanks in advance.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I don't know of anyone who makes clear light cure. Why doesn't he just make a nightguard instead of putting composite into the appliance?
Edit: I found this.

Last edited:
millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I don't know of anyone who makes clear light cure. Why doesn't he just make a nightguard instead of putting composite into the appliance?
Dr wants to do an upper roundhouse and open the bite. He wants to see if the patient can tolerate the open bite before anything irreversible is done by adding composite to the occlusal of posteriors. I need to make a delivery system to go over the diagnostic was up for the doc to be able to use flowable composite to take shape of the wax up in the patient's mouth.

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
you could mill a clear eggshell (clear flex from primotec might be a good op) of your wax up, design a palatal stop so he gets the alignment right

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
you could mill a clear eggshell (clear flex from primotec might be a good op) of your wax up, design a palatal stop so he gets the alignment right
I don't have that module in exo. This is a one time thing for me so far. I saw a webinar some time ago and the presenter used a clear hard shell probably light cured into which he injected clear impression material and squished that over the wax up. Of course I don't remember who gave the webinar.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I don't have that module in exo. This is a one time thing for me so far. I saw a webinar some time ago and the presenter used a clear hard shell probably light cured into which he injected clear impression material and squished that over the wax up. Of course I don't remember who gave the webinar.
You could always pack in heat cure clear if you don't want to buy the light cure for a one time use.

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
Send out to have an essix made of your wax up? That's how I make stents needed for composite... seems like it would be cheaper than buying a system

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Maybe I don't understand, what's he going to fill composite in? The stent?

He wants to use the tray to build up on non-prep teeth?

Why not just make a bite opening splint to save everybody a lot of trouble and money?

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Maybe I don't understand, what's he going to feel composite in? The stent?

He wants to use the tray to build up on non-prep teeth?
Yes, The teeth are worn down and he wants to open the bite and see if the patient can tolerate before prepping.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
You could always pack in heat cure clear if you don't want to buy the light cure for a one time use.
I have cold cure clear acrylic, so can use that. I thought a clear light cure sheet would be easier and faster.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Yes, The teeth are worn down and he wants to open the bite and see if the patient can tolerate before prepping
Hmmmm... Never heard of that one before. Sounds more complex than what he's thinking.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I have cold cure clear acrylic, so can use that. I thought a clear light cure sheet would be easier and faster.
It would be, if you can find sheets anywhere. Do you have an Ivocap or Ivobase? I've got some clear Ivocap. I could send you some.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
It would be, if you can find sheets anywhere. Do you have an Ivocap or Ivobase? I've got some clear Ivocap. I could send you some.
I am fixed only. I had some dentsply triad clear custom tray sheets but no more and I don't think they sell them any more. Thank you!

Last edited:
Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I am fixed only. I had some dentsply triad clear custom tray sheets but no more and I don't think they sell them any more. Thank you!
Dentsply went totally digital, they discontinued everything analog. GRRRR!
Yes, The teeth are worn down and he wants to open the bite and see if the patient can tolerate before prepping.
All he needs is a bite opening splint, like @bigj1972 said. He doesn't need to put any composite in it. Get the patient comfortable in the splint and go from there. Easy peasy!

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
What is he going to open the vertical to? Is just picking a random number?
At least they are thinking about a splint, instead or prepped already and telling you to open the bite.

You need to get the patient in an orthotic or some sort of splint therapy and have them wear it for an extended amount of time.

This could be a very troubling case for you to get involved with if they are not too familiar with VDO.
And by them just wanting to flow composite kind of seems like they don't really know what they're doing.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
What is he going to open the vertical to? Is just picking a random number?
At least they are thinking about a splint, instead or prepped already and telling you to open the bite.

You need to get the patient in an orthotic or some sort of splint therapy and have them wear it for an extended amount of time.

This could be a very troubling case for you to get involved with if they are not too familiar with VDO.
And by them just wanting to flow composite kind of seems like they don't really know what they're doing.

Thank you for the article. This dentist will not jump in head first until he is sure of the outcome. I will investigate orthotics.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Thank you for the article. This dentist will not jump in head first until he is sure of the outcome. I will investigate orthotics.
Promotek sells clearlike light cure material,Primo Splint, in ~1cm round cylinders for splints. Tends to be a touch less than clear but should work for your description of need. Great article above which needs to be understood for sure.