CLEAR crack lines

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Can someone please teach me how to make "clear" crack lines with stains only on a full contour crown, no porcelain.
I do two bakes. First stain bake and then glaze bake and any decalcification or crack lines or adjustments. I usually use white or off white stain for crack lines but this time Dr. wants clear lines. Yesterday I tried mixing blue and cotton stains from Soprano's free sample and the lines were very vague, almost nonexistent.
Thank you in advance!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Will your GC white hang in there better?
Maybe use the vague lines to your advantage, in that try a little off white (A1 stain or light orange mix) fire that, then lay next to that line straight blue or violet. The faint line will be contrasted by the blue or violet next to it, giving it an optical effect when the crown is turned at angles, compared to mixing everything together.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Unfortunately that crown is being delivered today. Hope the doc doesn't complain too much.
Drs definitions can be somewhat vague when it comes to shade and characteristics.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Will your GC white hang in there better?
Maybe use the vague lines to your advantage, in that try a little off white (A1 stain or light orange mix) fire that, then lay next to that line straight blue or violet. The faint line will be contrasted by the blue or violet next to it, giving it an optical effect when the crown is turned at angles, compared to mixing everything together.
I will try that. I paint crack lines directly into wet glaze using a shaped razor blade. I will try to paint a violet and off white line right next to each other. I think they shouldn't mix. Thank you!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I could walk you through it, but not full contour. Crack lines are best placed internally in layered porcelain. A micro cutback is sufficient but it has to be applied using layering porcelain to reflect the light correctly (metamerism),you won't get that with just stain. I imagine using the structure material in the MIYO system could work, but I haven't tried.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I could walk you through it, but not full contour. Crack lines are best placed internally in layered porcelain. A micro cutback is sufficient but it has to be applied using layering porcelain to reflect the light correctly (metamerism),you won't get that with just stain. I imagine using the structure material in the MIYO system could work, but I haven't tried.
I do crack lines that way for anteriors, but for molars the doc won't pay for porcelain so I am trying to do them with stains.

O

oldgreener

Reaction score
Can someone please teach me how to make "clear" crack lines with stains only on a full contour crown, no porcelain.
I do two bakes. First stain bake and then glaze bake and any decalcification or crack lines or adjustments. I usually use white or off white stain for crack lines but this time Dr. wants clear lines. Yesterday I tried mixing blue and cotton stains from Soprano's free sample and the lines were very vague, almost nonexistent.
Thank you in advance!
The zirconia used by labs have inherent limits on translucency/transparency. You might try using a 5y highly translucent zirconia and reduce the transparency on each side of the area you want to show as a crack. The 5y stuff is ok in posterior if only 1 unit with adequate occlusal reduction and use a resin cement to bond into place. Just an idea

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
The zirconia used by labs have inherent limits on translucency/transparency. You might try using a 5y highly translucent zirconia and reduce the transparency on each side of the area you want to show as a crack. The 5y stuff is ok in posterior if only 1 unit with adequate occlusal reduction and use a resin cement to bond into place. Just an idea
I do use Argen's ST Multi Zr. I will keep trying out different techniques and hopefully get a somewhat decent result eventually.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I do use Argen's ST Multi Zr. I will keep trying out different techniques and hopefully get a somewhat decent result eventually.

Then post back and let us know...for a time and labor fee of course $$ :)